PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Just got this e mail

A nurse discovered a safe easy way to remove Ticks where they
Automatically with draw themselves when you follow her simple instructions.
Read this one as it could save you from some major problems.

Tick removal

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing
Their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your
Children, or your pets. Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children... Or hunters or dogs,
Or anyone who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough
To share -- And it really works!
========
"I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best
Way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in
Those places where it's some times difficult to get to with
Tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark
Hair, etc."

"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick
With the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
Seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be
Stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This
Technique has worked every time I've used it (and that
Was frequently, and it's much less traumatic for the
Patient and easier for me.."

"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this
Would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's
Wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her
Back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used
This method and immediately called me back to say,
"It worked!"

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

flydoc
05-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Yup, I suspected you were from Illinois all along.
BTW, there seems to be a few people around this part of the state that are apparently allergic to soap. And toothpaste.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
yup, i suspected you were from illinois all along.
Btw, there seems to be a few people around this part of the state that are apparently allergic to soap. And toothpaste.

yep saw it right off:-d

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Welcome to our happy home. You never know what you will learn here. The vast amount of reloading and casting will fill a library. Enjoy but beware as this site is habit forming.

frankenfab
05-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Vaseline works, too.

05-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Have already pulled one off w/o allowing it to back out. Still scratching after a week. Hate those things with a purple passion. Can pick up snakes but let someone talk about ticks and my skin starts "crawling". In the workplace I sometimes just put a dab of gasoline on the blood sucking varmit.

oneokie
05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Any oil will work. So will fingernail polish.

05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Went mushroom hunting last Sunday found 6 ticks and no mushrooms. Went shooting today let the dogs run and have found 2 already.

frankenfab
05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Isn't the deal that they still have to breathe outside the skin, so anything you can put on to smother their air supply makes them back out? That's what I have always heard, but I don't have any facts to back it up. I betcha they don't like the taste of the soap, either!

troyboy
05-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Pulled one off of the pug today.

Blammer
05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
found one the other day on my leg, pulled him off no problem.

The neighbor has Guinnies (the bird) and they seem to really keep the tick populace down. :)

BOOM BOOM
05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
HI,
GOOD INFO! THANKS!:Fire::Fire:

Southern Son
05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
This might come in handy. We have ticks over here that will kill you dog if you don't find them and get them of (paralysis tick). Just one tick on a dog that weighs 100pounds and the dog can die. They get dropped in the yard by a small native animal (looks like a big rat, called a bilby) as they passs through, one gets on your dog and the next thing you know, you dog can't walk properly. Then he can't swallow, then he is dead. Sorry for the rant, have friends that have lost dogs to ticks. I agree with 06, everyone gets worked up about snakes, spiders, scorpians and ticks suck, snakes are fine.

gray wolf
05-09-2011, 09:28 AM
This year we have had 17 to 20 Moose killed by Ticks. Dying Moose have been found with literally thousands of ticks on them. Some as big as your finger nail. One young Moose is dead about 75 yards in back of my house. The dogs found it and wont even go near it.
I can't imagine having hundreds of ticks on me all at the same time. YUK

Charley
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Medical folks have been argueing for years about the "best" way to remove ticks. Depends on the tick species, and how long it has been attached. If attached more than a couple of hours, their saliva hardens to hold their mouthparts in the host...pull them off with tweezers at that stage, and you are going to leave at least the mouthparts still imbedded, and maybe most of the head. Covering the tick's body with something (soap, oil, vasoline, etc) will stop them from being able to breath, and might make them back out. It alsomight make them regurgitate...ok, puke the contents of their stomach into you, increasing the likelyhood of disease transmission. Your choice.
Best advice? Prevention. Watch where you walk, try to stay out of the brush. Tick nymphs, larva, and adults climb grasses and brush, and wait for a host animal to come by and brush against it. Use DEET or other repellants, they do work in most circumstances.

Depending on the species, it takes a bit for the tick to settle down and start feeding, whenever you take a break after walking in brush, check yourself out. You can often remove the tick just by scraping/rubing it off, because it hasn't stuck you...yet.

btroj
05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
I just go put with my Dad. He attracts ticks like nobody else I know. We call him the tick magnet. They seems so attracted to him that I get very few. Works quote well.
For the right price I might even lease him out.............

Charlie Two Tracks
05-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Just got done with working on the Interstate and about noon I felt something on my neck. Sure enought, it was a tick crawling around. I got him before he got me.

Bad Water Bill
05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I live JUST outside of Chicago and I have found ticks on my dog. He had not been out of my back yard in months but he had one. A friend has Lymes and got the tick from just across the street by the rail road tracks. They can be everywhere.

ubetcha
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Cabela's has a tick spray that I have been using for years when turkey hunting.Seem to work quite well as I have yet to see a tick on me when hunting.It's called Sawyer.Comes to two forms.One spray on and one that you soak your clothes in.DO NOT spray on your body.This is for your clothes only.Good idea to use dedicated out side clothes to wear.Lasts about 6 weeks as per packaging instructions,Supposed to be used by the military also

300winmag
05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Went crappie fishing yesterday a lot more ticks than fish they are bad around here this year. I usually heat up the end of a needle and stick it to its a** and he is then happy to leave. I will try this method.
Thanks for the info.

TCLouis
05-09-2011, 09:11 PM
btroj . . . et al.

This is not advice medical or otherwise, but if ticks are a problem try taking extra vitamin B1

gew98
05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Here outside and around Fort Knox Kentucky ticks have been like a plague for 3 + weeks now. The real buggers are the suckers that are damn near the size of smokeless pwder pellets...and they are that small this year like I have'nt seen before. They feel eevry bit like a big fatty crawling on you too oddly enough. Been using the last bit of the army issue "cancer in a can". Everyone I have greased up has left me with a bad itchy welt. I'll try the dish soap next. The two turkeys I got several weeks ago were fat and healthy but had a good number of these blood suckers on them.

cavalrymedic
05-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I just got rid of two ticks I picked up while exploring the florida wilderness. (yes, there is still some wilderness left). I soaked them with Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer. After about 30 seconds, they let go of my skin. This way I am sure to get the heads out. Before I discovered Purell, I would always manage to leave the heads in when I extracted the fiends. This would lead to a small infection and at least two weeks worth of itching. I HATE TICKS!

Newboy
05-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Fire ants are terrible, but I have not even seen a tick since the fire ants moved in. Guess everything is good for sumpthin'.

Curly James
05-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I caution everyone to be careful when they find a tick on them. Just found out last week that I have Lyme's. I've been bitten dozens of times over the years and never gave it a thought. Found one on me and removed it with tweezers making sure I saw a bit of skin in the little buggers mouth. A week later I have a rash and the beginnings of the bullseye. Doc put me on Doxycycline for a few days. Given my track record with antibiotics the cure is making me sicker than the disease.

swheeler
05-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Ticks can be very irritating. I had one in my ear for two days, couldn't sleep, all I could hear was tick talk!

ph4570
05-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Ticks --I dislike them greatly.

Politicians are worse, but wait, are they not just one of the many species of the blood sucking beasts?

lavenatti
05-11-2011, 06:27 AM
I've found a pretty easy way to remove them, you just have to be real careful lining up the barrel...