PDA

View Full Version : G20 and Range Lead Bullets.

Colorado4wheel
05-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Anyone have any experience doing this with the stock barrel and range lead? I have never been able to get lead to shoot out of my 9mm Glock barrel but I am pretty sure that barrel sucks and is a fluke. I know others who shoot lead out of their Glocks with out a problem. They just are careful about sizing and hardness. I don't shoot the G20 much. Usually no more then 100rs at a time anyway. I hate scrubbing lead out of a barrel so I need to make it actually work and not just be scrubbing like crazy every hundred rounds. My range lead dropped in water is about a BHN of 17.

dancast
05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
howdy,
i have two lone wolf after market barrels for lead, a g34 and g37, both around $100+, just to shoot lead......dancast

HammerMTB
05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I shoot ACWW from my Glock 20 stock bbl, it is 11BHN, at vels up to 1100 FPS. No problem.
I did try LLA once lubed. I found that not enough. So I always twice lube now. It's what they recommend anyway, but I thought I might get away with a bit less handling.

RobS
05-08-2011, 12:12 AM
The glock barrel's do have rounded rifling or polygonal rifling and it's harder to keep the boolit from skidding. There are a few things a person can do to help boolit skid and one, which goes for any firearm, is to make sure the boolits are not undersized. I would use the largest boolit diameter that would chamber. IMO .001 over groove diameter is out the window in this situation; better with .002 or maybe even .003 if it will chamber. Start at the minimum loads when using larger boolits. The next, which you are doing already, is to use a harder alloy which will hold up to the "smoother" rifling. A hard alloy though that is undersized is just as bad when it comes to leading/accuracy. Powder selection is also of consideration and I would select the slowest of those published. Slower powders will "ease" the boolit into the throat/start of the barrel with less starting pressures vs a quick powder that has higher energy when set off by the primer (ignition). An easier push followed by a more pressures as the boolit makes way down the barrel helps keep it from skidding the rifling.

Copper Chore Boy (copper scrubbing pads for pots and pans) wrapped around an old bore brush does wonders for a leaded barrel. Make sure the pads are copper though as some are copper coated...........use a magnet to check. Some have even used bronze or brass screen around a old bore brush.

tommygirlMT
05-08-2011, 12:42 AM
+1 on everything RobS say above

I will add that a GCed boolit design is a good idea for any 10mm --- for shooting cast boolits --- but especially if you using original Glock barrel

Shooting lead from original Glock barrel can be done but things are a lot more finicky --- especially with any Glock chambered cartridge other then 45-ACP --- Lone wolf replacement barrel is a grand idea --- but if you insist on using original barrel --- as fat of a boolit as will chamber with the slowest burning powder you can find load data for in the 10mm cartridge is the way too go --- add a non-tumble lube groove GCed boolit design to that combo with a good lube like Speed Green and things get even better --- personally I usually go with 2400 powder --- Factory or Lone Wolf barrel --- with factory barrel clean your barrel at least every 100 rounds --- AND USE A CHAMBER THROAT BRUSH TOO !!! --- DONT JUST DE-LEAD THE BORE AND FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT PART THAT BEING THE THROAT !!!