PDA

View Full Version : I think I am in Love....

dk17hmr
12-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I picked up my buddies 454 Casull today, he gave me 40 rounds and said "have fun you can shoot all these if you want because I am starting over from zero again with my reloads."

His revolver is a 9.5" SBH with a Millet red dot. I dont know exactly what his load is but he said it is a 260gr Speer hollow point at roughly 1800fps.

Well after getting my bench set up at 50 yards and targets stapled onto the target butt, I put ear plugs in and ear muffs on the settled the revolver into the bags and fired the first round....WOW recoil was less then I expected but still not even close to a 357 mag.

He had the bore spotless so after a full cylinder to get it good and fouled I was shooting something that looked like a group. On the second cylinder I shot 2 3 shot groups, both about 2 3/4"....I dont know how good that is but for never shooting this revolver or a big bore much for that matter, I think I did pretty good.

I built a 50 pound buffalo target out of 3/8" steel plate in high school shop, I set that guy up and hit him about where you would shoot a deer, tight shoulder area, before I settled back from the recoil he was flatted right down about like hitting him with one of the hotter 500gr loads from my 45-70.

I have only shot 17 rounds so far and I know if I could build my own load the groups would be smaller. Only thing I dont like about the revolver is the scope, I think if it were mine it would wear a crosshair scope of some type.

45r
12-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I was shooting my 45 colt redhawk last weekend and I sure had a lot fun with loads using 21.5 grains Vitt N-110 and RCBS 300 grain GC.One inch groups at 25 yards no problem.This is a hard kicking load but it can take critters as far out as you can hit them.300 grain 45 loads can blow through log cabins at 700 yards according to articles in sixgun magazines so if you can master the big bore sixguns you dont need a long gun.Your 50 yard groups are plenty good for just starting out.RED dot sights are great for hunting and I have one on my 44 mag since it came with slots on the barrel and it does make it easy to get a shot where you want it to go and a scope is on my 41 and 3 inch groups at 100 yards is no problem recoil is much easier to handle but cast 300 grain 45 bullets can do as much or better than the smaller bores with less pressure.All my 45s wear iron sights and thats all I need for shots under 100 yards.For some reason there seems to be a little more magic in the 45 to me.When I really want to put a critter down quick the F/A 83 454 Casull does it in spades.Like you know now the 454 is not that bad in the heavy super redhawk.That is why I think you will find happiness in the 454.My 83 is so accurate and powerfull that even though I love my other revolvers I have a great deal of respect for it as a hunting gun.I know I wont be lacking in knock down power.You can shoot medium loads for practice and fun shooting if the recoil starts getting to you.The 45s can go from mild to wild.

bobthenailer
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
glad to hear that you like the 454 casull ! from my owen personal experince , i can shoot better groups at 25/ 50 and 100 yards off hand with a red dot than i can with a 2 x cross hair scope , and any higher power scope off hand is useless , off the bench they are the same accuracy wise . the trick to useing a red dot scope is to use a black circle target with a white background aka a bulleysey target , thats just a little bigger than the red dot at the distance you are shooting at. ive been shoting red dots on my rifles & hand guns since the aimpoints first came out , and i currently have about 25 red dot sights in use. with my 3 - 454s , with there favorite load all will constiantly group 1/2 to 1 inch at 50 yards with cast or jacketed
good shooting bob

454PB
12-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I assume "9.5" SBH" means "SRH", Super Blackhawks won't handle the .454 Casull.

The .454 Casull is not hard to handle with the lighter boolits, but once the boolit crosses the 300 gr. mark, it's gets progressively worse. Seems to me the lighter boolits create a lot more muzzle blast.

Glad you're having fun!

dk17hmr
12-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Yep that was a typo. Its a SRH, I am going to shoot a few more through it tomorrow morning. I told him I would have it back before lunch time.

I think I have a milk jug around hear to fill with water, that should be interesting.