PDA

View Full Version : Using 38-40 boolits in 40 S&W

44 WCF
05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I read articlle by Mike Venturino that he used RCBS 38-40 mold as his favorite 40 S&W boolit. Has anyone done the same or with any other 38-40 mold. I looked at drawing of the RCBS mould and beings it crimps over front band sure should work. Any response or cautions would be appreciated.

kawalekm
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
The way you're writting, it sounds like you're expecting to roll-crimp these bullets in the case. You CAN apply a little bit of roll crimping to pistol cartridges, but not so much that they won't headspace on the end of the chamber.

In any case, I was never satisfied with proper feeding in any pistol without a proper taper crimp. I now use Lyman or Hornady taper crimping dies for all my pistol cartridges. That is 9mm, .40, and .45ACP. I think Lee's modified taper crimping dies are worthless, though I haven't actually thrown them in the trash yet.

My only pistol the wasn't bothered by a non-taper crimp was my Ruger P89, which would digest anything thrown at it, including .357 SWC's loaded into 9mm brass.

In your case, your 38-40 bullet would work just fine, as long as you taper crimp it and your feed ramp likes the nose of this bullet.
Good luck,
Michael

bobthenailer
05-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I cant give you any particulars ! but ive seen the loaded ammo shot with no problems.

44 WCF
05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
pretty much what I thought, appreciate the response

44 WCF
05-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep, see why you though I was going to roll crimp, but no just meant there isn't crimp groove in the RCBS bullet, and guess even is there was, it wouldn't make any difference. I

Ben
05-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Yep, it will work :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29985

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30029

dmize
05-07-2011, 11:06 PM
WOW,most of the discussions have read was about "needing" to use 40 S&W boolits in a 38 WCF and cussing the lack of crimping groove.

prs
05-08-2011, 11:45 AM
kawalekm;

I only recently (past week) began working with non-roll crimp postol boolits, specifically the 40 S&W. I only have the Lee 4 dies set and did not know the crimp feature of the seater and the and the FCD were inappropriate in some way. So, in my blissful ignorance I have had what I thought was excellent results for form and function. THey look just like and work through the action just like my WInchester factory rounds in my early gen Glock 23. BUT, I am pretty green and prolly don't know what to look for. What should I see wrong? I would buy a different crimp die if it makes better ammo. If it is an accuracy issure or grouping issue, that is why I have not seen the difference, I just shoot 'em off hand at big steel plates and good enough is good enough for me.

prs

44 WCF
05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Well I just ordered a 38-40 mold from Magma, If it doesn't work our for the 40, I will have some 38-40 bullets for sale for cheap.

kawalekm;

I only recently (past week) began working with non-roll crimp postol boolits, specifically the 40 S&W. I only have the Lee 4 dies set and did not know the crimp feature of the seater and the and the FCD were inappropriate in some way. So, in my blissful ignorance I have had what I thought was excellent results for form and function. THey look just like and work through the action just like my WInchester factory rounds in my early gen Glock 23. BUT, I am pretty green and prolly don't know what to look for. What should I see wrong? I would buy a different crimp die if it makes better ammo. If it is an accuracy issure or grouping issue, that is why I have not seen the difference, I just shoot 'em off hand at big steel plates and good enough is good enough for me.

prs