PDA

View Full Version : remington rolling block conversion help

lil_bandit
05-07-2011, 05:32 AM
I have a #4 remington rolling block the barrel looks great but when i shoot it i get some powder escape and the case splits i was wanting to put a liner in this and was either wanting to go to 32 s&w or 25 acp will this gun handle those pressures because i dont need another 22 any help would be great this is in a 32 rimfire and is emaculate shape and i wanna squirrel hunt with this bad would love to chamber in a 25 acp

Ben
05-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Personally, I can't see using the 25 ACP ! !

The 32 S & W is another story.

Chicken Thief
05-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Whats the caliber?

What about just reaming the barrel for a new chamber?

Mk42gunner
05-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a #4 remington rolling block the barrel looks great but when i shoot it i get some powder escape and the case splits i was wanting to put a liner in this and was either wanting to go to 32 s&w or 25 acp will this gun handle those pressures because i dont need another 22 any help would be great this is in a 32 rimfire and is emaculate shape and i wanna squirrel hunt with this bad would love to chamber in a 25 acp

I have thought about a .25ACP rifle before, but there are sevearl problems with the idea:
1. Finding a barrel liner witha .251" bore.
2. Not a lot of molds for a .25 ACP.
3. Tiny cases.

Since your rifleis a .32 already, you can ream the chamber to use .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, and convert the breechblock to centerfire, if your bore is in good shape. If not get it relined.

IF your bore is in good shape, you could just covert the breechblock and use .32 Short or Long Colt cartridges; except they are pretty much unobtainable nowdays.

The best route would be going with the .32 S&W long.

Good Luck,

Robert

lil_bandit
05-07-2011, 01:21 PM
the rifle is in good shape vry good breech and rifleings when you shoot it it cracks the casings and i belive now its because the breech has wear and letting case expand or its the shells which i have plenty of the .32 rf i was curious if the #4 take down model i have would stand the pressure of the 32 s&w short i have an abundace of this ammo and can get loads of it through a dealer i know i have already found the liner for the 32-20 and the drill and the cartridge for the 32 h&r mad to chamber it with but i was wondering did the 32 rf have the same size bullet as the 32 s&w and just different case or was they totally oppisite because i would rather buy a reamer and just ream the breach for the 32 s&w but if i have to i will line it also i have the knowledge and lathe to turn my new center fire firing pin

lil_bandit
05-07-2011, 01:29 PM
i have done some checking and from what i find the 32 s&w has less breech psi than the 22 rf i think this would be a good lil squirrel rifle and the liner is a redman and the other stuff i was getting from brownells worse thing is this gun holds 2-3 inch groups at 75 yards opens site

lil_bandit
05-08-2011, 04:28 AM
what i am concerned with is i have turned many pins and firing pins and such in lathe but never a rechamber i was kinda curious on how much head space i need to leave with the 32 s&w i think i am gonna just shoot shorts and not but maybe longs some day if breech is capable of the pressure but what stumps me is not knowing on the reamers if when chambering and you leave your head space do i need something to kinda crown the new chamering or is this not suppossed to have a tapper inside breech any info on this and head space for 32 s&w long or short i would greatly appreciate

Ben
05-08-2011, 02:33 PM
With the nature of your questions, It might be better to turn this project over to someone who has already done about 40 + relining jobs.

In the long term, you might be happier with the final product.

leadman
05-08-2011, 10:36 PM
The reamer will have a section to cut the recess for the cartridge rim. This is the headspace, so if you chamber for the 32 short and want to shoot the long later it will have to cut again with a 32 long reamer. Just like a 22 short won't take a long rifle, but a long rifle will take a short.

This is a job probably left to a qualified gunsmith. There are a couple shops that advertise in the Shotgun News that do this work on a regular basis.

lil_bandit
05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
thanks for the info i think i am gonna have john taylor do my work if he will

Ben
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
I think you're very wise. He is experienced and will do you a great job.

Ben

pietro
05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
I converted the breechblock/firing pin of my RF .32 cal #4 to centerfire, and simply shot the commercially available .32 Short Colt in it, w/o issue.

My #4, however, is a solid frame - if it was a weaker takedown, I wouldn't even consider it.

If your is leaking blowby with RF ammo, I would check that the breechblock & hammer pivot/axle pins aren't bent/worn, or that their receiver holes aren't out-of-round - and that the lower portion of the breechblock (where there isn't much material) hasn't cracked to the axlepin hole.