Dale53
12-20-2006, 02:17 AM
This fellow, Mike Bellm, comes highly recommended:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?pid=304&cid=97

Dale53

Nashcat
12-20-2006, 04:20 AM
Louis,
Lock, Stock, and Barrel, gun shop in Franklin TN had a Contender in 357Herret a while back. It might be cheaper to do a barrel trade than a rechamber. Their phone is 615-591-1721.

Nashcat

357maximum
12-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Louis,
Lock, Stock, and Barrel, gun shop in Franklin TN had a Contender in 357Herret a while back. It might be cheaper to do a barrel trade than a rechamber. Their phone is 615-591-1721.

Nashcat

If it is a factory 357 herret barrel, I would skip it, TC has yet to figure out the correct way to chamber/and throat a barrel....send it to Mr. Bellm,,,you will be much..much..much happier with it...

Scrounger
12-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Any particular reason .357 Herrett? Doing .357 Maximum instead would be a lot easier; and you can borrow/rent a reamer and do it yourself without a lathe. Some guys say you can chamber and fire .357 Max in your .357 barrel anyway because the chamber is so big and sloppy. I know there is a fellow hangs out at Boartuff and Greybeards that has a .445 Supermag reamer that he loans out to people to extend the chambers of their .44 Mags; I don't know if he or anyone else has the .357 Max reamer to loan out. You might post that question there. How much performance difference is there between the .357 Herrett and the .357 Maximum? The much easier route is the Max if its performance is acceptable.

357maximum
12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Any particular reason .357 Herrett? Doing .357 Maximum instead would be a lot easier; and you can borrow/rent a reamer and do it yourself without a lathe. Some guys say you can chamber and fire .357 Max in your .357 barrel anyway because the chamber is so big and sloppy. I know there is a fellow hangs out at Boartuff and Greybeards that has a .445 Supermag reamer that he loans out to people to extend the chambers of their .44 Mags; I don't know if he or anyone else has the .357 Max reamer to loan out. You might post that question there. How much performance difference is there between the .357 Herrett and the .357 Maximum? The much easier route is the Max if its performance is acceptable.

Scroungers point is most excellent...but I still would have mike bellm do the work, he is most knowledgeable in the fixing of TC's mistakes....

I would go with the max myself, but then again I am obviously quite partial to it....I was going to suggest the same as scrounger, but he asked about the herret, and I have hi-jacked too many threads lately as it is[smilie=1:

No case forming,easier re-chamber, similar ballistics, no lubing cases....the choice is obvious to me, but then again it is my favorite caliber...I can do anything with it that the herret, or the 35 rem will do..in a cast boolit friendly format...I just wish starline would make brass for it...some of remingtons max brass lately has been ..ugh,,less than ideal..

Michael

Boomer Mikey
12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Rechamber on Contender barrels.
Barrel is 357 Mag
Names/Prices

What's wrong with the .357 barrel?

Boomer :Fire:

Jon K
12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
TCL,

I too would go with the 357 Max, I have had both and prefer the Max, and it is easier to to find a good shooting load.

Ed's T/C in OK has both 10" & 14" barrels in stock. 10"- $110/ 14"- $145. And he guarantees what he sells, you're not happy with it or something wrong with it he'll replace or refund it. How can you beat a deal like that?
Ed Kirkpatrick, great guy to deal with, check out his inventory, I have bought several barrels from him.

http://www.edstc.com/edstc/

Have Fun Shooting,

Jon
:castmine:

JSH
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
I doubt the max would clean up the mag chamber and or throat of the mag to be honest. I looked at a bunch of 357 barrels before I found one that was tolerable. I know, I know there are several here that have TC barrels that are tack drivers. I would consider thou lucky.
The Herrett will clean up the throat and any off center chambering of the mag. Gains in speed will be minimal over the max if in any when going to the Herrett. Accuracy, being a new throat will be there, rather than a forcing cone, would be the major,IMHO.
Jeff

TCLouis
12-20-2006, 09:52 PM
the barrel also has a LOUSY (rough) 357 Mag chamber.
Is that why I don't go to Max in this barrel . . .

NO I have 2 Max barrels already.

This is a 12" barrel and I want a Herrett with snug chamber and throating,

Bellm so seldom does chambering except as a whimsy on caliber of his choice at the time so I had Not considered him.

I used to have a rental outfits link that had Herrett reamer for rent, but can'tf ind it.

The Herrett should be perfect for this new 200 grain 35 cal boolit in the GB.

kywoodwrkr
12-20-2006, 10:33 PM
If you are like me, you'll say 'oh no', why didn't I think of that!
www.reamerrentals.com (http://www.reamerrentals.com)
Have been given a lot of good press in past.
Haven't heard much recently.
Reasoanble however I think.
If I had the extra cash right now I'd join you and buy the reamer and let you use it.
I've always wanted a 35 Herrett.
Already have the dies as a matter of fact.
Had a 30 Herrett many years ago.
Good luck.
DaveP kywoowrkr

JSH
12-21-2006, 12:01 AM
That would be a good option as far as doing it yourself. But, if the chamber is rough I bet a dollar to a donut it is off center too. If you are set up to get it centered off of the center of the bore and pay no attention to the outside of the barrel you could do a good job. Then bore most of it out rather than try to use the reamer as some do. I will stop now, as I am one of those,"know enough to be dangerous types".

I would still give Mike B a holler, or Mike S also. Either one I am sure would entail a sufficent wait. IMHO, I think the Herrett's have been forgotten for to long. Imagine a 336 or 94 chambered in either. A buddy of mine has a good chambered 30 Herrettin a 10". It goes right at the same speed with the same powder on 1 grain less with same bullet. I have always wanted to do more of a real worl test with the 30-30 vs 30 Herrett and the 35 Remington vs 357 Herrett vs 357 max. All of these with the same bullet weights. I have had to many guys quote me from books rather than hands on, on this subject.
I still have an interest in a 30 or 35 AI of sorts on the 7.62x54 or the 303 Brit. After some talk here with folks I am to the point of giving it a try on the Encore platform. Guys talk about weak brass, sorry, I ain't gonna buy into that one. Maybe years back, yes. Today, nope, I think the brass isues have went away on these. I have a 35 Remington rimmed that uses either 30-40 or 303 brass. Yes it is shortened and blown out a bit. I have yet to have a case fail and use both of these cases as a parent. I have stoked it pretty heavy in the past with a FLGC and am in the middle of getting some Lyman 204's ready to see how they fly.

That is another option, but I think the barrel a little on the short side but not much.
Jeff

leftiye
12-24-2006, 06:06 PM
357 max to .357 Herrett is a 50% increase in charges in the manuals that I've seen. At indicated pressures ( the 35 Rem is a low pressure ctg. according to SAAMI, I don't disagree) The herrett easily outperforms the 35 Remington. It is about the same case length as the 357 Max..

leftiye
12-24-2006, 06:13 PM
In another thread a guy was wanting to rechamber a Marlin to 445 Supermag. The fishbone in the craw was that the ctg. was 1/2" too long to be made to work- according to one responder who had done a thread on work with 94 Marlins feeding. He supplied a picture of the magazine shell stop and where it would have to be cut back 1/2" I couldn't tell just where the limiting part of the part was, but I'll take his word.