PDA

View Full Version : making Makarov brass

indymadcaster
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
new lyman book says 9mm Makarov can be made from 9mm para brass by sizing in mak dies and trimming and then use a fireforming loAD

ANYONE TRY IT?

zxcvbob
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Yes, it works. Run the expander die before the sizing dies if you're going to use a Lee case trimmer.

Mark the case heads with a Magic Marker or some paint to make it easier to identify the brass in the dirt after it's fired.

Rocky Raab
05-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Been doing it since 1990 when I wrote the original "How To Load The Mak" for the NRA. LINK (http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Makarov.htm)

lee n. field
05-06-2011, 07:00 PM
new lyman book says 9mm Makarov can be made from 9mm para brass by sizing in mak dies and trimming and then use a fireforming loAD

ANYONE TRY IT?

Yes. It works just fine.

Take once fired 9x19 brass, size it, trim to length and deburr the case mouth. You'll probably want to mark them with a Sharpie marker, to distinguish them from 9x19 brass.

It's a royal pain with a hand powered trimmer.

kyswede
05-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I converted 500 pcs. of 9x19 brass to 9x18. After sizing and deprimimg in a 9x18 die, I used a Lee Cutter chucked in my drill press and the lock stud held in a vise. I have since bought a Lee 3 jaw chuck, but have not used it yet.
kyswede

Fishman
05-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Yes, works fine. I used a file to make a shallow cut across the headstamp so that nobody would pick up a used brass and use it for their 9mm. Don't know if it is necessary but it made me feel better.

Jal5
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM
YouTube had a good video about doing this very thing. Only PITA part is trimming that tiny bit off the 9x19 brass. Always mark it in some way so you know its for 9x18.

leadman
05-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I also use the Lee trimmer to cut down the brass. Works great.

As an experiment I primed a 9X19 case and put it in my Bulgarian Mak to see if the primer would go off. It Did! And this was sized with a 9X19 die!

Think what would happen if a full power 9X19 found its' way into a Mak.

Sprue
05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Tried it several yrs ago. To me there was/is no other way (frugal) plus I like using my hands making what ever is feasible, I just like to make things whenever possible.

Couldn't tell ya how many I've cut down with my Lyman manual trimmer. When all is said and done, blisters, chasing brass etc... Makes one appreciate a good revolver.

To play it safe, keep your velocities @ 1000 fps and under.

Need some boolits? I've got can full of 95g TL SWC's for 9 bucks a hundred plus shipping. I've never had a problem shooting thru various Circle 10's. The mold that I use was a custom order 6 banger from the late Makarov.com

armexman
05-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi all, I made all Maks from nickel-plated 9MM Luger/Para. I went through my almost 10K 9's and there is now no nickel 9's, they where all converted to Makarov for the CZ82. After shooting them in this guise, about 350 cases, believe me they are very easy to distinguish from 9,s when they are on the ground. Try the Lee RN 90 grainer they are accurate with 700X.

Gee_Wizz01
05-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I made about 400 rds of Mak brass from 9X19 after reading Rocky's article back in the early 90's. I run the brass through the Mak expander 1st and then trim using a Lee trimmer with an electric hand drill. I also mark the case head with a red Magic Marker. About 4 years ago I was picking up my brass after shooting, and a "Gentleman" started yelling at me for "stealing" his 9mm brass. I told him I was only picking up my own and he became very belligerent. I just calmly walked away and chuckled to myself. I hope he enjoyed those short cases. I have enough 9X19 brass to last me several liftimes, and don't even bother to pick it up anymore. I do pick up my MAK brass when I can find it just so I don't have to trim anymore.

G

390ish
05-07-2011, 04:33 PM
trimming takes forever. I use AA#5 and it is perfect for this cartridge.

kyswede
05-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I asked my daughter if she had any old nail polish she didn't like. She gave me a bottle of pink polish and I painted the case heads with it. Keeps them separate from 9x19 brass. Some have been reloaded 2 or 3 times and the polish is still on them.
kyswede

Phat Man Mike
05-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I have made hundred's of MAK brass from 9mm. just mark the case and shoot more.. like everyone else said I try to pick up mine while at the range to keep others from having problems. :popcorn::popcorn: