PDA

View Full Version : Newby needs help

trixter
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I have equipment(pot, lubrisizer etc,) lead and have my molds on order, I would like to find the best reference books on casting and lubing boolits and a guide to reloading .45 ACP.

I know that a lot of you have your favorites, but I would like to stay with published materials first.

Thanks

05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Welcome, Trixter.

You're going about it the correct way, by wanting to read and rely on published manuals. To me, too many reloaders are un-willing to do the required reading and research, instead they ask the worn out question, "What is the best load for XYZ?" I don't respond to those posts.

For anything to do with casting: Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. The 4th edition is now available, but the 3rd seems to be preferred by many. I've not seen it.

For cast boolit loads: Lyman's Reloading Handbook. No other manual addresses cast loads like a Lyman. The newer editions, 46th to 49th, will list the newer powders. If you aren't interested in rifle loads, there is the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook. I think there are 4 editions, of it.

Buy at least two reloaing manuals, so you will have a cross reference.

The various powder companies have their reloading guides available in print or on-line. Hodgdon/Winchester and Accurate list limited cast loads.

The stickies and archive are invaluable and are must reads.

Doby45
05-06-2011, 11:37 AM
I would say do some exhaustive searches here on this site and you will know more than you will get out of most books. But, do not take a single statement from a single person as the gospel. You need to have a few in agreement before I start to consider what is being agreed upon as good info.

dragonrider
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Welcome home Trxter, you have come to the right place with your questions. I was particularly pleased to read this " would like to stay with published materials first." Get Lymans No 4 handbook on casting and read it from end to end. You will have questions, ask them here and we will do our best to answer.
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-4Th/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304697279&sr=1-1

Moonie
05-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Another thing that might help, if you will let us know where you are you might find a member that will be happy to show you the ropes.

gray wolf
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
"What is the best load for XYZ?" I don't respond to those posts.

I think you do folks a big favor by not responding to those post.
They learn nothing from a question like that.
Unfortunately they just move on to the next person who most times is eager to show how much they know, and how much the other person will never learn.
I call them information Vampires.

cbrick
05-06-2011, 07:45 PM
trixter, welcome to CastBoolits, good for you wanting to read/study up on casting and lubing bullets first.

Here is a great book on this very subject and it's free.

From Ingot To Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm) This is the html version.

From Ingot To Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) This is the pdf version.

You will learn much here. Enjoy,

Rick

trixter
05-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Another thing that might help, if you will let us know where you are you might find a member that will be happy to show you the ropes.

Very close to Medford, Oregon

trixter
05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
trixter, welcome to CastBoolits, good for you wanting to read/study up on casting and lubing bullets first.

Here is a great book on this very subject and it's free.

From Ingot To Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm) This is the html version.

From Ingot To Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) This is the pdf version.

You will learn much here. Enjoy,

Rick

Thank you for the suggested reading. I've gotten into it a little and it is very helpful so far.

Rick

mooman76
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
There is a company that publishes load books specific to a caliber. I've never got any but they have allot of data but again is is caliber specific. + 1 though on getting some good load books. Lyman I use the most because it has allot of data for cast and then I use Lee also. Theres more info here than you would ever find in a book as far as casting goes but Lyman has one of the best books out there and there isn't allot of books published covering this.

cbrick
05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Very close to Medford, Oregon

I'll bet you shoot at JCSA huh?

That's where I started shooting Silhouette in early 1984 & haven't stopped yet. That is a beautiful range with some of the greatest people in the world to shoot with. There are several knowledgable casters there, ask around.

Rick

Echo
05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
My recommendation is to read all the stickies on this forum, then go back and read 'em again! This is the best source of information re boolit casting in existence.

(And I KNOW that I am not competent enough to have any of my expertise put on a sticky! Still learning...)