PDA

View Full Version : Scope suggestions for a 9.3x62

no34570
05-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Hi Fellas
I'm after some of your suggestions on a good quality scope for my Zastava M70 in 9.3 x62mm,what bases and ring do you suggest and what magnification on the scope?

I'm looking at :
Bushnell Trophy XLT or any other Bushnell,like the Elite 3200
Burris Redfield II
Leupold VX-II
Redfield???
Any other you might think possible?,but not too expensive(on a budget)
What would be the best magnification for the 9.3x62 rifle?

Thanks fellas
:D

tonyjones
05-06-2011, 06:34 AM
I use a Leupold Compact fixed 2x in Talley Lever Locks on my CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62. This rifle is fairly light weight and compact (20.6" barrel with full length fore arm). I set the rifle up with the bush country of southern and eastern Africa in mind. However, this rifle/cartridge/scope combination will work in a lot of situations/locations including much of Texas where I find the 9.3 useful for eland, nilgai, and hogs.
The Talley Lever Locks are a bit pricey but allow fairly quick access to the iron sights and decent return to zero. IIRC I paid around $275 for the scope.

Regards,

Tony

redneckdan
05-06-2011, 08:56 AM
What do you plan to do with the rifle? That has a large influence on the glass you put on it. For mostly close in brush hunting I would recommend the 2x or the VX-III 1.5-5x

Larry Gibson
05-06-2011, 12:49 PM
+1 on the Leupold VX-III 1.5x5X. Have one on my M70 .375 and it is an outstanding scope for all applications of that cartridge.

Larry Gibson

no34570
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
What do you plan to do with the rifle? That has a large influence on the glass you put on it. For mostly close in brush hunting I would recommend the 2x or the VX-III 1.5-5x
redneckdan
Hi mate,mostly will be using the 9.3x62 for Sambar Deer hunting,maybe occasionally going pig shooting,but I have other calibers for that,pig shooting that is.
I was thinking of a 2-7x most of my hunting is in some thick forest.
Thanks for the suggestions ;)

no34570
05-06-2011, 08:08 PM
+1 on the Leupold VX-III 1.5x5X. Have one on my M70 .375 and it is an outstanding scope for all applications of that cartridge.

Larry Gibson
Larry
Can't seem to find a 1.5x5 in the gun shops I frequent,they say I'd be better off with a 2-7 power???

no34570
05-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Have you guys heard of Hakko scopes?

What do you think of them?

9.3X62AL
05-24-2011, 01:26 AM
I have a Leup VX-II in 2x-7x flavor, and I like the combo very much on my CZ-550 Lux. I've also had an OLD Redfield 1x-4x with post reticle and metric adjustment turrets (1 click = 1 centimeter/0.4"), and it is an excellent HUNTING reticle--but is a little coarse for precise targeting.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-24-2011, 08:40 AM
The New Leupold - Redfields are very nice and with a great warranty. Assuming you will use cast bullets, get the ballistic plex type reticle and you can likely get some reasonable trajectory matches to your anticipated shooting opportunities. Much better than Kentucky windage . BvT

6pt-sika
05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
If it were me I'd look for a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x !

If I couldn't find that I'd go to a Leupold VX2 2-7 .

And if I couldn't find either of those I'd take a Leupold VX1 2-7 or the new Redfield Revolution 2-7 .

And if money was of no issue I'd think seriousely about a Swarovski in the 1.5-6 range .

6pt-sika
05-24-2011, 10:33 AM
If it were my rifle and I was after nice Sambar I'd be using the Nosler Partition bullet !

no34570
05-25-2011, 04:58 AM
I have a Leup VX-II in 2x-7x flavor, and I like the combo very much on my CZ-550 Lux. I've also had an OLD Redfield 1x-4x with post reticle and metric adjustment turrets (1 click = 1 centimeter/0.4"), and it is an excellent HUNTING reticle--but is a little coarse for precise targeting.
I have a Leupold 2-7x33 on my Marlin 444 and it is a beaut,looked at some today,over $589,but I was thinking of going a bit bigger,to the versatile 3-9x42.
I had a look at a Redfield Revolution today and liked what I saw $289
Have to think on it!

no34570
05-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Hi
It's going to be a toss up,between a Bushnell Elite 3200 or a Meopta MeoPro,Redfield Revolution or a Leupold,but the first three are taking my fancy.
6pt-sika
I have ordered some Accubonds,the Partitions were out of stock.

Larry Gibson
05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Larry
Can't seem to find a 1.5x5 in the gun shops I frequent,they say I'd be better off with a 2-7 power???

You'ld be "better oof"? No, they'd be "better off" because they'd sell what they have. However, if the 1.5x5 isn't available there (it would be worth the wait if they can order it) then the 2x7 wouldn't be that bad either. The difference to me between a low end of 1.5 and 2 or 2.5X is that I can use the 1.5X with both eyes open. This makes it extremely quick and "field of view" is as good as it will ever get. I find the 2 or 2.5X just a tad slower in use for quick close range shots. If that's not in the works for you then the 2x7X should do fine. On the top end when shooting big game there's really not any practical difference between 5 and 7X. If you can't make the shot with 5X then 7X isn't going to make any difference.

Larry Gibson

6pt-sika
05-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi
It's going to be a toss up,between a Bushnell Elite 3200 or a Meopta MeoPro,Redfield Revolution or a Leupold,but the first three are taking my fancy.
6pt-sika
I have ordered some Accubonds,the Partitions were out of stock.

FWIW , you mentioned a Redfield Revolution in 3-9 !
Just so happens I have one of those on my circa 2001 Marlin 444 that I shoot 400 grainers exclusively in !

The scope has held up beautifully under the pounding of those heavier loads !
If I'm not mistaken the shot count on that scope with 400 grainers is now in the 300-400 range :drinks:

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2013, 08:42 AM
I have both the VariX111 1.5 - 4 (or 5,can't remember) and several Vari X11 2-7s. There is not much in it at the lower end 1.5 on one scope and 2 on the other. Splitting hairs really.

More important than the power I feel, is the reticle when hunting Sambar as you are often hunting with a heavy canopy and at dusk and dawn where a normal sniper or plex or mil dot/whatever ballistic reticle will disappear on you.

I have both of the above scopes that I can use, but my 9.3 (Zastava) will probably end up with the 3-9 Meopta with heavy No 4 German reticle.

Another good option is the Vixen range of scopes sold by Errol Mason, the Sambar Hunting Guide/Author/Educator. They have the advantage of having the heavy German Retice and also have an Illuminated dot. They have a range of sizes from the 1-4 and the 1.5 - 6 range right on up. The scope from this range that he recommends over the others is the 2.5-10x50. My mate bought one of these and says it is brilliant. They are around the price of the better Leupolds and are every bit as good.

Here is a link to the scopes:

http://sambardeer.com/vixen_rifle_scope_product.php

If you are a sambar hunter, his site is worth a look.

RedneckRob
10-01-2013, 02:17 PM
At present I have a 4x-1" Simmons on my CZ American 9.3 but I've bought a Meopta Steel tube 1.5x6-30mm #4a to put on it. Like Larry, I can use both eyes when I use 1.5 power and 6x is really all the 9.3 needs.

OuchHot!
10-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I use a leup 2-7 VXII on my ruger African 9.3X62. I mostly use NECG peep on my CZ 550 fs 9.3, but when its scoped, it has a Leup 3X german #4. I grew up in the era when scopes were iffy and so I tend toward peeps and low mag scope. ymmv

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I grew up in the days when scopes were iffy (all but the mega expensive scopes were pretty iffy when I was young un' and we couldn't sfford the fancy Euro scopes then), but the scopes days are very strong and reliable, even some of the cheaper scopes work well and can be relied on.

I have an old Leupold Vari X11 2-7 with the small (28mm I think it is) fron lens. I bought it new in 1985 to fit on a Tikka 12Ga/308W Combo. It was on that for a few years and saw lots of rounds through both barrels, then got fitted to my main rifle which was mostly a series of 3006s and similar. It has been fitted to a MkX (now called Zastava) 3006 in Conetrol Mounts since about 1995. It has seen a couple of thousand rounds and has been carried up hill and down dale and dragged through blackberry thickets in that time. It has never had the zero move and I haven't touched the adjustment dials at any time. They are a fit/zero/leave it alone bit of equipment. If I my rifles have open sights fitted, I have QD rings,but have never used them afield, just when I wanted to practice shooting with open sights.

The only trouble I have ever had with sights, was on my Ruger No 1 in 338WM. One of the screws on the adjustable blade failed and the sight moved enough to throw me out but not enough for me to spot it (my fault, I think I overtightened it). Your snipers in Vietnam used an essentially a garden variety scope, mostly the the Redfield 3–9 power Accurange variable scope without any problems (warpage of the wooden stock was the only problem I heard with the platform).

I feel if you don't use scopes, you are really restricting your options, especially in Sambar country where the shot might be presented at 50 yards, or on the next feature at 300 yards, with no way of stalking to the target animal easily and quickly.

felix
10-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Not as a qualified hunter, but as a back seat driver type, why would you need to see cross hairs at all while shooting eating-type game? Won't just a center view within the scope work as well? That's what I do when snap shooting charging tin cans and that seems to work fine. Reason: the lens do the work of "adjustments", not the stationary cross hairs. ... felix

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2013, 10:48 PM
A lot of the terrain is heavy where you shoot sambar and often overgrown or with a heavy tree canopy. Combined with the fact that they are often shot in the early morning or as it is just about dark can cause most reticles to plain ol' disappear, which is probably not so much of a problem at 30 yards, but a real issue at 50 yards and beyond. The dark forest type situation and dawn/dusk light problems are similar to European hunting and that's why the heavy reticles were developed in the first place. The reticles are fine (ish), but the three side bars are very thick and will centre the target in the worst light situations. Open country or light timber hunting is fine with the traditional reticles, but in a big forest of huge gum trees, the German style reticles could save the day.

OuchHot!
10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
My understanding (maybe false) is that Leupold bought the Redfield name and they are assembled in Oregon using good quality Chinese lenses and have a solid warranty.....I have heard they are a good deal for the money. I have had real good luck with the upper tier of Bushnell as well.

9.3X62AL
10-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Felix makes a good point about reticle form for use on game animals. The modified German post in my old Redfield 1x-4x is a MUCH better overlay on critters than is any crosshair arrangement, esp. in low-light situations. Its only real disadvantage comes when shooting paper......it is not quite as precise for aligning upon the old Leupold "checkerboard" sight-in targets. I resolved this by using a 6-o'clock hold on a black bull for best sighting definition.

Four Fingers of Death
10-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Redfield is owned by Leupold now, Idon't know about the Chinese lenses, but they are an excellent scope for the dollar. Several guys use them at the range without problems (but that goes for pretty much any brand scope nowadays).