PDA

View Full Version : 148 gr. wadcutter question

kyswede
05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I shot some 38 Spl. wadcutters into a 5 gal. bucket of sand today and 1 of them broke into coin-shaped pieces at the TL grooves. I recovered 8 pieces. Has anyone seen this happen before? Full story in Stickies forum re: bullet traps
kyswedehttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_82894dc361200ef14.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=782)

Buckshot
05-06-2011, 01:44 AM
..............I've not ever fired any into any medium with the idea of retrieving them, but what you describe sounds unusual. One the one hand the grooves could concieveably be considered stress risers where a fracture might form. On the other hand lead has such a high level of molecular cohesion it wouldn't seem possible for it to seperate/fracture like that. Ya got me :-)

............Buckshot

David2011
05-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Nope, haven't had it happen but it looks like either a very hard alloy, very high casting temperature or some of both. I've had some boolits get pretty granular if I let the mold get too hot.

David

357maximum
05-06-2011, 06:08 AM
High antimony content that is out of balance with the lead/tin content that is cast at too high a temp can cause that. I once made some long 7mm boolits that could be broken in half with finger pressure. :o

Slow down the casting tempo, turn down the temp, or both.

Full wadcutters should be made out of a soft alloy for best accuracy in my opinion.........add some (alot) lead or pick a softer alloy.

kyswede
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I bought the wadcutters online, so I have no idea how they were cast. I will check hardness and see what it is.
kyswede

357maximum
05-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I bought the wadcutters online, so I have no idea how they were cast. I will check hardness and see what it is.
kyswede

Ahhh I see. They could be anything and they could have been "cranked" out too hot. The beauty of making your own is you know who to blame when it comes out wrong. [smilie=1: This does have the upshot of allowing you to fix the issue though. :-D

I am sure there are a couple hundred wadcutter moulds sitting unused by the members of this forum. Someone could proably be talked out of one fairly easily if you need one. :Fire:

Echo
05-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a 2-banger H&G that I would part with...

PM if interested.

kyswede
05-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I bought the WC and some SWC to see if my 2 guns like them. I will be buying a mold or 2 in the future, plus one (or more) for 45ACP. Right now I have 5 Lee rifle molds and a Sharpshooter buckshot mold.
kyswede