PDA

View Full Version : New stuff I found

malpaismike
05-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Hello the camp! My current 'war' started with slugging bores and plugging cylinders on my .44-40s and .44spls. I finally have molds for both that are running pretty fair-to-middlin'. My can't-stand-prosperity arose from repeated cleaning and storing my plug gages.
An aside: while I know these can be obtained individually, I ran into a set of plug gages, .251-.500, at Rutland, on sale for $50. Rutland is now MSC; may pay to give them a look-see.
I decided what I needed was to have my gages ready any time; no unwrapping vci paper and wiping of WD40. I went looking for corrosion preventative and found Zerust drawer liner -- http://www.zerustproducts.com/toolbox-tackle-box/drawer-liners. In a 12"x72" roll for $9, I thought I found the lode. However, their site s&h was $13; whoa. I called their cs where a helpful young lady advised me the stuff is carried by Lowe's under their Kobalt logo. Short story, I picked some up today, cut to fit my gage box, installed in lid with double-sticky tape [like carpet tape, but this is adhesive-only, used, among other things, to stick patterns on wood or stick wood together for gang-cutting] and grinned like a big dog. 'Course, I haven't seen any of it's graveyards yet, but site sez 5 yr guarantee, which makes the $8 I paid a good deal to protect the gages, even if the other 5 ft go south. Hope this is of use.

By the by, Midway email sez their 20# Lee pot is on sale for $57. May have to check it out; I read some thread about improved valve; my 12-yr-old pot leaks like a sieve. 'Course, it's been a coon's age since it's been empty.

I can't find where I read Beagle's post on his process. My .38-55 Lyman mold needs a nudge, or I need to turn the drill backwards in my Win to add some stock to the bbl. Your assistance appreciated. See ya round the campfire. mm

frkelly74
05-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Wow ,,drilling backwards restores metal?????? I will have to use that one. I learnt sompin.

malpaismike
05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Yup, fr, but ya gotta hold yer tongue jes' right. Contacted Zerust, told them I rolled the balance of matl in plastic food wrap, asked if that would keep the good stuff in. They said it would; wrapped in several layers of plastic wrap, should be good to go for at least 10 yr. mm