PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - Blue Book of Gun Values

captaint
05-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I see that Midway has this book on sale for 29 bux. Not bad.
How about some opinions on the "value" of this book. I've never really read one, though I should, I guess. enjoy Mike

onceabull
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
It's absolutely indispensable ,if you are a pawnbroker..we keep one on our gunshow table(s) to show folks on the other side what their stuff is worth,,, Onceabull

05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
It's a very authoritive guide. Gun prices vary geographicly and due to ever changing supply and demand.

Gunbroker shows what buyers are actually paying, over-paying, or getting a bargain.

82nd airborne
05-05-2011, 09:25 PM
It's a very authoritive guide. Gun prices vary geographicly and due to ever changing supply and demand.

Gunbroker shows what buyers are actually paying, over-paying, or getting a bargain.

+1, literature can become outdated in no time, and be erronious to start with, Gunbroker however, shows what people are willing to pay, and it will also tell you about how fast something will sell at a given price.

EDK
05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
As I said before, I view it as a tool to rip-off the unwary in a trade or heaven forbid, selling a gun. My local shop uses is extensively....offerered me a price of around $400 for a MARLIN 357 Cowboy rifle in 95% condition, with box, papers, etc. It would have hit the sales rack at around $650 or $700 and sold in a heart beat. It wasn't NIB, but d*** close. Needless to say, their merchandise isn't priced very close to the blue book either.

Gunbroker, etc gives a lot more realistic price. I check them regularly when I'm looking for something. One has to balance shipping and transfer fees versus local sales taxes also.

Kraschenbirn
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't own a copy but my public library has it on the reference shelf. Browsing the last edition, shortly after it was released, I found only about half of the stated "values" to have anything more than a passing relationship with the reality of the marketplace...at least in my corner of the world.

Bill

blackthorn
05-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Published "book" values are a "guide" in the same way that reloading manuals are a "guide", only a mistake (over-paying) for a gun will not get you killed! (except maybe by SWMBO) LOL.

rintinglen
05-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Most of those values are pretty useless. I'd spend the money on primers, some time on gunbroker and auction arms, and be better informed.

beagle
05-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Amen to that. Dealers will whip the "blue book" on you in a heart beat when selling but when buying, it's a differnet story. Your gun's the biggest piece of **** that has ever been and theirs is the finest one they've ever seen.

Go with the trends on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica and then take a pinch off for common sense and you'll be in the ball park.

The Blue Book value is what has driven the price up so much on common lever actions over the past few years./beagle

Most of those values are pretty useless. I'd spend the money on primers, some time on gunbroker and auction arms, and be better informed.

captaint
05-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I guess I was thinking about Father's Day coming up. While I'm in good health and all, I was kinda thinking about the family should I disappear. The kids are great with computers, but you can spend a lot of time finding a gun in whatever condition to get an approximate price. enjoy Mike

Rocky Raab
05-07-2011, 05:53 PM
There is considerably more in the Blue Book than values. Model variations, history, production years, production dates by serial number range and lots more.

As mentioned, the values do vary by region (which they tell you in the book) and are an approximate retail value. Trade-in values will ALWAYS be less, because the dealer has to make a profit. Anybody who thinks he can get "what the book says it's worth" in a trade is either a dreamer or rode to school on the short bus.

largom
05-07-2011, 07:04 PM
The latest edition is the "Thirty-Second". Make sure the one Midway is selling is not last years edition. I like my Blue Book and buy a new one every couple of years. There is a ton of info in it besides pricing. Most of the dealers and gun shows in my area have prices 1 1/2 to 2 times over book price. I always carry a copy in my truck when I go to yard sales or dealing with private people.

Larry

captaint
05-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks all, for your input. I just thought it is something I should gave around. Think I'll get one. Thanks again Mike