PDA

View Full Version : Full alert- code red at bs ACRES

Bullshop
05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
It is a time to keep and "BEAR" arms at BS acres.
Yesterday after noon a fella stopped by to give warning that about 1/2 mile from our house he came by just as a sow grizz with three cubs was coming up out of the ditch to cross the road. He said they gave a bit of chase down the road as he had startled them.
About one hour later not heeding the warning and unarmed BS Jr. nearly walks nose to nose into another bear about 200 yards from our house.
He reports that this was a single adult grizz.
So the situation is we now have at least three and possibly four bears that dont seem to mind being around people. This is not a good situation.
I have several small children that normally play by the tree line but will now be on restriction until further notice.
A sow with cub is not only very dangerous in itself but presents a potentially bad legal dilemma. My opinion is that I would rather deal with a legal situation myself than to have any of my children killed by a bear because I feared the legal consequences. So what I am saying I am saying without saying it, SSS!
All adult members residing at BS acres will remain armed and dangerous until this situation is down graded to a kid safe level.
On a positive note all arms are literally loaded for bear with boolits.

Marlin Junky
05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
So what is the punishment for shooting an unarmed grizz outside your home in AK?

MJ

GRUMPA
05-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Well one could only imagine and I wouldn't want to find out either. In az you shoot one in self-defense, the bear has more rights than you do (unless it takes a bit out of you first). Personally SSS applies.

1Shirt
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
People in the lower 48 who have never lived in Alaska, will never understand what it means to face a griz in your back yard. You and your family hang tough Bullshop, and keep a sharp eye out, particularly with that sow and cubs.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

starmac
05-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Yup the three s rule applies for sure.

DragoonDrake
05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Ok. What is the three S rule? I really don't know.
Adam

Doc Highwall
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Shoot-Shovel-Shut-up. I thought we had the right to Arm Bears

waksupi
05-05-2011, 04:19 PM
The griz are out and about in this area, too. The black bears tend to sleep in a few weeks longer.
A few years back a woman was reported for standing at a bus stop with a rifle, until her kids could get on the bus. The busy body tourist that reported her, was told by the sheriff it mind their own business.

Bullshop
05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Grizz season is open right now and we can legally shoot one. The legal issue is the cubs.
It is not legal to shoot a sow with cubs. Another problem is that if you shoot one you will most likely have to shoot all. If the cubs are yearlings they may be nearly as large as the sow. This puts it in much the same atmosphere as as the old elephant culling operations I have read about. Once the shooting starts they must all be killed or the situation may reverse and the shooter become the looser of the battle. Not a good deal at all.
My Son came home for lunch today from working on a neighboring farm about one mile away. They found that after the episode on our place yesterday evening the bears went back north the way they came and killed a cow moose and her calf. They will most certainly be back this evening to claim their kill.
Another positive note is that it generated a sale for us. The farmer my Son is working for wanted to buy a Marlin 45/70 with some of that HOT ammo we sell.

starmac
05-05-2011, 06:57 PM
You need to report some bear sightings the other direction. lol
It is hard to imagine that the farmer didn't have adequate bear protection though.
It sounds more like this justified another gun to the other half. lol

MT Gianni
05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Backhoes are your friend.

GRUMPA
05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Backhoes are your friend.

AMEN to that.:bigsmyl2:

Bullshop
05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
He already has a 45/70 guide gun but his Dad also living on the farm was not well armed.
He is buying the gun and the right ammo for his Dad.
He has children also so the air around here seems to be SSS all around.
It does make for an awkward conversation when without confessing anything you try to relate that you can relax now.

blackthorn
05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
A bit off topic but--Last week wifey and I went to get the mail. Across the river (about 6 or 700 yards) we saw a good sized black bear (but a dark chocolate color) come down to the water to get a drink. Two Canada geese landed about 20 feet in front of the bear. Maybe the geese had a nest close by or something but anyway they took exception to that bear being where it was. They were only in about 6" of water and they stood up, flapped thier wings and took after that bear! It took one look at those charging geese and took off back into the bush as fast as it could go. Pretty funny to watch.

beagle
05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
BS.....think it's time for a good old country style drive-by shooting and keep going and nobody know who done it.

Think you can get away with murder here in KY quicker than you can by killing one of these black bears that we don't legally have./beagle

starmac
05-06-2011, 02:45 PM
BS.....think it's time for a good old country style drive-by shooting and keep going and nobody know who done it.

Grizzly huntin gangster style, maybe this is what the big black rifle craze is for. lol

Bullshop
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM
And I used to think I had no need for a 50 Baywolf AR upper.

pdawg_shooter
05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Triple "S" will work. Shoot, shovel, and shut up!

Phillip
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Shoot-Shovel-Shut-up. I thought we had the right to Arm Bears

LoL...that reminds me of this video.....

http://youtu.be/FARnbRBWKGg

Yeah that is bad situation when you have a female with cubs. That is worse then having a single male around. I would definitely keep a rifle around and maybe open carry around the house for the time being.

I would also watch your trash and food, they can be mischievous and destructive to get to these.

canyon-ghost
05-06-2011, 07:31 PM
On a positive note all arms are literally loaded for bear with boolits.

That's the good part. Awkward communication on the all clear? "The bears are gone now", nobody needs to know where they went.

Ron

Doc Highwall
05-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Phillip, that is a good one. I remember seeing that about 10 years ago and it is still funny.

BOOM BOOM
05-07-2011, 02:18 AM
HI,
KEEP SAFE BS.
Great thumbnail Doc Hiwall.

*Paladin*
05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
When I was at Elmendorf (Anchorage), I was a volunteer conservation officer on base. We would deal with the problem bears (brownies and black bears) with 12ga "cracker" rounds. They were a pyrotechnic that would make a loud boom and usually that worked to scare them off. You might want to see if the troopers wildlife folks will come out an trap them before you do the 3-S's, especially since you have already mentioned the SSS on a public forum.

I definately understand your plight. Fortunately, Alaska is FAR more understanding when it comes to shooting bears in defense of self and others than the lower 48 states. I have had a few run-ins with brownies on the Kenai and once near Petersville (south of Denali) and it'll get your heart pumping, that's for sure. Especially when you have your family in close proximity. Fortunately, I didn't have to shoot one in defense. Good luck getting rid of that sow! One way or the other!!!

9.3X62AL
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Backhoe rentals ain't expensive.

swheeler
05-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Tim Treadwell won't like this thread. Oh that's right he's piled up somewhere.

MT Gianni
05-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Scott, that is so wrong I'm still laughing.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-22-2011, 11:09 AM
He already has a 45/70 guide gun but his Dad also living on the farm was not well armed.
He is buying the gun and the right ammo for his Dad.
He has children also so the air around here seems to be SSS all around.
It does make for an awkward conversation when without confessing anything you try to relate that you can relax now.

you need a sign or a phrase that sounds the all clear

a few ideas , i haven't seen them bears in a few days , so i stopped carrying the rifle every were.

or maybe the best yet give the DNR / fish and game credit for it , i heard fish and game helped us out and trapped them bears and moved them to the wildlife refuge.

some new wild story that is both complete fiction and a way to say the bear problem is gone
i saw a light in the sky , and now i haven't seen the bears for days

something that is both unconfirmible or points the blame in some imposable direction like like some tough old lady so frail she looks like she will break a hip at any moment , gave he bear a beat down with her walker.

Geraldo
06-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Bullshop, I'm disappointed in you. Real Alaskans don't need guns to deal with bears :kidding:

Watch and learn: :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2807347009315039035#

Chicken Thief
06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
New furniture?

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/07/21/grizzly-bear-chair-you-will-never-be-this-******/#more-9374

JIMinPHX
06-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Doc, I think that I recognize the guy in that picture. I think that he is the fruit loop naturist that I saw on TV several years ago who preached that bears were gentle animals that were just misunderstood. He camped in bear infested areas & played with them when he had the opportunity. I can't remember all the details, but I think that either he or his girlfriend ended up getting eaten by one of the bears that he had been playing with.

He was a real nut job.

DrB
06-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Jim, they both became casualties, as I recall.

The girlfriend just ruined my enjoyment of watching that bunny lickin' bear bait acting up for the cameras, trolling himself back and forth in front of all those grizzlies. Kind of like that kennedy plane crash. He was a fool to have flown in that weather with his quals and passengers, they were fools to have gotten in a motor vehicle with a kennedy around water. The ladies didn't deserve it though.

I dunno, she may have been as foolish as he, but what a horrible fate for being enamored of an idiot.

Longwood
06-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Jim, they both became casualties, as I recall.

The girlfriend just ruined my enjoyment of watching that bunny lickin' bear bait acting up for the cameras, trolling himself back and forth in front of all those grizzlies. Kind of like that kennedy plane crash. He was a fool to have flown in that weather with his quals and passengers, they were fools to have gotten in a motor vehicle with a kennedy around water. The ladies didn't deserve it though.

I dunno, she may have been as foolish as he, but what a horrible fate for being enamored of an idiot.

Their gruesome deaths were recorded by her with a video camera.

Doc Highwall
06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Where is Walt Disney with his camera when you need him?

Chicken Thief
06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Hve a pic of him.

Wiew at your own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/bear_attack.jpg

Bad Water Bill
06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/bear_attack.jpg[/IMG]

It does not work

Bullshop
06-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Stand down--- code blue ---- good bears---- confirmed!

Bad Water Bill
06-23-2011, 02:07 PM
W/W J Word or shouldn't we ask?[smilie=w::guntootsmiley:

pmer
06-23-2011, 02:30 PM
/Blandet/bear_attack.jpg

Just had to remove the characters at the end...OMG ! And I looked at it with a tummy full of pulled pork too...

Chicken Thief
06-23-2011, 03:59 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/bear_attack.jpg[/IMG]

It does not work

I fixed/altered it to a direct link to the picture.

Bad Water Bill
06-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks. Works now.

From what is left the bears did not like him either.

DrB
06-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Yechhht.

Seems to me pictures like that might be instructive in some freshmen philosophy classes folks get forced to sit through. Dumb ideas DO have consequences.

JIMinPHX
06-24-2011, 05:14 AM
I think that Darwin would have had something to say about that guy.

Bullshop Junior X4
07-22-2011, 01:55 AM
back on code red bears saw close by

redneckdan
07-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Got yer 470 cap stick near by eh?

oscarflytyer
07-22-2011, 04:39 PM
The griz are out and about in this area, too. The black bears tend to sleep in a few weeks longer.
A few years back a woman was reported for standing at a bus stop with a rifle, until her kids could get on the bus. The busy body tourist that reported her, was told by the sheriff it mind their own business.

I LOVE THIS!!! D@mned tourists anyway... send them to the bears for munchies!

Also your location: Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Sounds like my kinda place!!!

Az Rick
07-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I used to have a place in Colorado, "which will remain nameless', our T-shirts said, we were a "drinking village with a Mountain problem."

Best, Rick

bowfin
07-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Do you have a dog or two on the place? I think the would be invaluable as early warning systems and attention grabbers with bears around.

G. Blessing
07-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Nope on dogs as a bear warning system.... They will clam up so fast its amazing. Only works if the damn dog barks constantly normally... Then the silence is a give away that somethings up. Same deal when wolves go through close by...

Ugluk
07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
A lot of bear attacks around here are caused by hunting dogs picking a fight with the bear, and running yipping to the owner for help..