PDA

View Full Version : Recoil reducer question?

grubbylabs
05-05-2011, 11:39 AM
has any one put a reducer or pad on their win 94 before? I am really thinking about it.

GRUMPA
05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I put 1 on my legacy (Winch) a nice thick one as I had to. The stock one just wasn't enough for me with the 300+gr I like to shoot out of it. It did help a lot (bruises) but when you go full tilt with loads as I do, you need as much as you can in your favor.

Hardcast416taylor
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Over the years I`ve seen quite a few M 94`s and Marlin`s with after market recoil pads installed, also seen more than a few with lace on recoil boot pads.Robert

HollowPoint
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I don't own an M 94 but, I do own an M92.

With that crescent shaped metal butt-plate it would really do a number on my shoulder
when shooting just about any full-power load.

I finally broke down and installed a nice soft recoil taming pad. Now it's a fun 44 to shoot.

HollowPoint

plainsman456
05-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I have 2 Winchesters in 30-30 and a Marlin in 41 Mag,I don't find the recoil all that bad.
But I have a Savage 99 in 308 that kicks like a mule.For it I bought a Pachmayr slip on pad and all it did was make it a little longer,still kicks hard even with cast loads.
I guess the stock fit will need a adjustment later.

grubbylabs
05-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I have a .444 and working up full house loads can make a sore shoulder. I can load some lighter plinker loads and do ok but I want to be able to shoot the harder hitting ones with a little more ease.

Since weight is not a real issue I was thinking about drilling the stock and putting a recoil reducer in it and a pad on it as well.

Has any one done both? Did it get you as much as you hoped for?

Thanks.

Four Fingers of Death
05-06-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a .444 and working up full house loads can make a sore shoulder. I can load some lighter plinker loads and do ok but I want to be able to shoot the harder hitting ones with a little more ease.

Since weight is not a real issue I was thinking about drilling the stock and putting a recoil reducer in it and a pad on it as well.

Has any one done both? Did it get you as much as you hoped for?

Thanks.

I have a 444 and it is a bear to shoot, little headache stab with every shot off the bench (that was firing off the 275Gn Hornady Factory ammo that came with the rifle, man that stuffs fairly howls!

The Mercury filled reducers are pretty good apparently, my mate got one fitted to his 375H&H, says it works real good and wasn't that expensive.

I think the 444 mightend up with one. My 416 fairly moves me, :D but the 444 seems to have less recoil, but more snap to it that rattles what brains I got left.

cajun shooter
05-06-2011, 10:40 AM
The Mercury recoil reducers have been used for over 30 years and they work. They have several different models and styles available and you must pick the correct one for your rifle to perform as it should. They even offered a twin or two pack model at one time. The light 92's are fun to shoot but will rattle your brain if not equipped with the proper recoil reducers. The use of one and a pad would do well in my book.

grubbylabs
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I am really thinking that both are the way to go. I noticed that Midway has quite a few available. It looks like you just pick one that will fit in your stock and is the weight that you want. Is there more to it than that? I don't want to wast my money or screw up a perfectly good stock. Putting the pad on seems pretty straight forward.

Longwood
05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I need two more lace on pads. I am also looking for other brands so they don't all look the same and also some recoil tamers.
It is hard to believe these rifles can be even MORE fun.
The pad came from Cimmaron. Their site is pretty difficult to navigate in. I think they are under rifles then accessories.
It does not have padding. I used a piece of the 1/2" closed cell foam that they use to make those, jig saw puzzle edges on them pads, for floors. I is very similar to the foam they make butt pads from.
I have some extra that you can have if you want a little of it. What I have is sort of dark grey.

I googled recoil tamers and lots of people say to use a piece of lead or maybe a bag of shot.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
The Mercury recoil reducers have been used for over 30 years and they work. They have several different models and styles available and you must pick the correct one for your rifle to perform as it should. They even offered a twin or two pack model at one time. The light 92's are fun to shoot but will rattle your brain if not equipped with the proper recoil reducers. The use of one and a pad would do well in my book.

i had a frend that used to work for HS he gave me a few of there mercury reducers i put one in my sons 20ga for him yes they work