PDA

View Full Version : Hardness Tester - Which One?

altheating
05-05-2011, 06:17 AM
I have been looking at different hardness testers from Lee, Seaco. LBT, Cabine Tree. Still not sure which one I want. Has anyone used two of the above so that there is a comparison? Are there any other brands that I have missed? Anyone have one they want to sell?

Bret4207
05-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Cabine Tree, LBT, SAECO, Lee in that order. The CT gets the nod simply because it's versatile, accurate, adjustable and produced by a member here. Last time I checked it was even less expensive than the LBT. The LBT is good too and slightly easier to use, but it;s much more limited as far as what you can test.

RayinNH
05-05-2011, 10:47 AM
If you just need a comparison of alloys for your own use, you might take a look at this http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75455

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Ray,
that is a good thread.

altheating,
Here is a great indepth test if you feel the need to read more
http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

edsmith
05-06-2011, 01:38 AM
for the money,it looks like the lee is the best.

PacMan
05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I have had both the Lee and Cabin tree.Sold the Lee and bought the Cabin Tree. World of diffrence.I promise you would be happier with the CT.
Dwight

Cowboy T
05-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I've only tried one type, the Lee, since that was the cheapest one. :-) But I can tell you that it does work and is quite serviceable. Seems pretty accurate and consistent, too, especially for $50.

The one thing that can be a slight challenge with it is holding the pocket microscope steadily on smaller boolits. Fortunately, there are easy-to-make jigs for that (some folks have posted pics of theirs here), but it's one thing to be aware of. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's not that bad.

Dan Cash
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
The lead pencil test method is the cheapest and most versatile. The Cabine Tree tool is the most worth while for the money.

stubshaft
05-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Had the SAECO and sold it when I bought my Cabinetree. Never looked back.

R.M.
05-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I've used a LBT for many years now. Pretty simple to use. No scopes, no charts, just one simple operation.

badbob454
05-10-2011, 01:59 AM
the Lee has served me well and is not too expensive ,, little difficult to read, but works

largom
05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I have the Lee and a LBT. After some modifications [posted elsewhere on this site], I find the Lee to be the most consistent and easy to use.

Larry

Shooter6br
05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I use the pencil method myself Mainly to get an idea of the alloy. "Cost is no object as long as it's cheap"

buck1
05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Had the SAECO and sold it when I bought my Cabinetree. Never looked back.

Same here.
Also Saeco uses its own hardness scale, a PITA!....Buck

cajun shooter
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
If you are young but short on funds then buy the Lee because you have good eyes and steady hands. If you are older with the signs of life catching up with you then do what you have to so that you may purchase the Cabin Tree. I see where Bret posted that the Saeco was easier to use than the Cabin Tree. I don't know how looking at a dial indicator to achieve a reading could become any more simple. The CT also will check your bullets and loaded rounds for run out. None of the others will perform this task. The CT is also built like a tank and will last two lifetimes.

altheating
05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Well, I decide to go with the Cabine Tree tester and I am very glad that I did. Took two minutes to mount the dial indicater on the unit. As the directions said, it took longer to read the directions that it did to do the test. And repeatidely it gave the same readings. As far as looking at a chart to make comparisons, I placed a copy on the wall above my bench. A quick glance at the chart and your done.
My opinion, Seaco to expensive, Lee to cheap, Pencils should be used for writing and the LBT would be my second choice.