PDA

View Full Version : Tin based babbit

buckndee
12-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I have seen babbit metal for sale that is 89% tin, 7% antimony and 4% copper. What problem if any would the copper have on boolit alloy.

Buck

felix
12-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Tin based babbit should only be used as straight up tin. Say 1 pound max per 20 pound pot of WW, but not range lead from store bought pistol lead, unless wadcutters mostly. All rifle lead from the public range is OK. If using pistol range store bought which is primarily hard cast lead, then don't use any of this tin babbit in the mix. ... felix

buckndee
12-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Hello Felix

I generly cast ww of one form or another. Stright, pluse 2% tin, water dropped and sometimes heat treated if I loading full power 375 H&H loads. Using this type of babbit as a say tin/antimony source to add to ww alloy. Would the copper cause a problem? Or would it be better to stay with stright tin or 50/50 soder as my source of tin for my alloys.

Buck

nighthunter
12-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Over 30 years ago I had a good friend thats father worked in the B&O Railroad car shop. They used very similar babbit for the bearings in train car wheels. He used to get us all the babbit we could use. Today I wish I had gotten a whole lot more for future use. The copper content will not effect the quality of your boolits. The babbit is very good to use in addition to pure lead and ww alloy. Makes a very very hard bullet.
Nighthunter

carpetman
12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
B&O railroad---I have owned that several times along with 3 other railroads--Reading and a couple others--don't have my Monopoly set handy just now. Didnt have any babbitt.

floodgate
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
CatPetman:

Go to AbeBooks and Call up Sinclair Lewis, author; you'll find a title "Babbit" there

No, DON'T thank me; it is my DUTY to help the underprivileged!

floodgate

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2006, 07:08 AM
IVe used a pile of it and the copper never effected anything. If it bothers you you can remove it by melting your alloy and shutting off your pot. As it cools the copper will come to the surface. I used to do that until i found that leaving it does nothing.