PDA

View Full Version : 50 Bmg

Bear Claw
12-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Got My bonus today!!!!!!!!!!

Wife gave the OK to buy whatever I want, SOOOOOOOOO I been lusting for an AR 50 since they came out, now that I can aford it I am not sure if I realy need it, I know NEED shouldnt enter into it (can you get buyers remorse before you buy somthing) As of now I can buy the rifle,scope,reloading press & dies etc... with cash left over.[smilie=b:

My club range is only 200yds so no real test there for the gun, but I love to cast boolits and x-periment with loads and I think the 50 would be a GASS....
I have shot 50's before so there is no mystery

My other option is get that Shilo Sharps I have been wanting:Fire:

Any way I would like to hear from any of you 50BMG shooters here and you can tell me if you regret or am glad you bought one, do you shoot it often? how much ammo do you keep on hand?

Come on 50 shooters talk to me

duke76
12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a State Arms, I do not shoot it as much as I thought I would but it sure is ahoot when I do plus all your friends will also think it is a hoot, also very accurate. I kind of have to be careful when shooting tracers or incendiary because it is very easy to start fires but I dont regret buying it, also if they ever ban them like California the price will only go up, that is if you are allowed to sell it. Here is a video of us shooting it notice the tracer and watch the cinder block disintegrate
http://loesshillsarmory.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=37

rockrat
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Glad I bought mine. Only trouble with the AR50 is that it has a long throat. There are others that set the barrel back and rechamber. The standard chamber seems to work OK with jacketed, but not the stellar accuracy that some other guns have. The barrel setback will correct this, I understand. Been thinking of doing this with mine as so far, I can only get about 2.25" groups at 100yds so far with a 750 gr cast boolit(2,300 fps). Have some loads to try with the boolit about .025" off the lands, but too cold to shoot right now. Main drawback is that I was shooting surplus 4895, but with the supply drying up, I need to go with something else (140gr a shot)..
If you are going to get one, Kieslers has them for Dealer cost at $2395. Get your powder now as no telling what will happen next year. You can get surplus 5010 for $28/ 8lbs (think 235 rounds per 8 lbs) and bullets from hi-techammo.com. Get a good scope as they will destroy cheap ones. The Lee setup is a good way to start for a press. Not for match ammo, but not too shabby. Who knows what will go with the 50's. Rumors that they will go the NFA route and you will have to go through the same hoops (prices will probably go up then as probably no more to be made), but who knows. Primers are $ 0.15 each. Its a different world. The kick is akin to shooting a 3.5" 12ga. Have good ear protection and be careful of those around you. You shouldn't shoot it with someone on a bench next to you, or even 2 benches away. 3 should be minimum. The muzzle blast will take a full bottle of water right off your bench. Someone can stand directly behind you, but not off to the side. You will find yourself by yourself at the range as many will leave. The cast boolit loads aren't near as bad. Its a fun gun, but $$$. If you want a smaller 50, then go the Shiloh route with a 50-70 or 50-90 2.5". It will kick enough.

500bfrman
12-18-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't have one, but I figured I would chime in anyway. I had a state arms bmg on order and cancelled the order. So, I guess you can have buyers remorse before you buy. :mrgreen: I sure you'll love whatever you get. For me it was just I would rather have more guns than what I would have been putting into one gun. On top of the fact I was going to be wanting/needing a 1200 dollar scope, press, dies, yada, yada yada. My main problem was I just couldn't get a 50 I wanted the best in everything. So I bought other stuff. My only suggestion is if you get a 50. Please look at state arms. www.statearms.com

RugerFan
12-18-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't own one but got to fire a .50 cal Barret last week. Call it a "job perk." The US Army's latest and greatest insurgent deactivator, the M107 LRSR (Long Range Sniper Rifle) is a semi-auto and comes with a 4.5x14 Leupold scope. Very nifty piece of technology (for when you really wanna reach out and touch someone).

A pretty neat toy, but if I were to own one, I would want to be able to shoot it at long (500 yds+) range.