PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron stove

Buddy
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I've got a cast iron 4 legged 2 burner stove I'm sure most of you have seen them. I want to set this baby up for smelting with a 20lb propane bottle. It has a barbed nipple for the hookup and I'm not sure that would work ok for propane. Would it be a good idea to set up a threaded connector for my propane supply. It will be regulated of course. Anyone use these old relics for smelting? It's in really nice shape and looks as if it would be much better than my Coleman camp stove/cast iron pot setup I currently use. I scored another 5gal bucket of WW free today so I'm in the smelting mood. I'd appreciate some input if anyone uses this setup. Thanks, Buddy.

Sixgun Symphony
05-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I never seen a cast iron stove made for propane. I assume that it is made for coal or wood.

If you got a workshop or garaqe, I advise setting it up there. One can still buy stovepipe and insulaters from the better hardware stores.

Burn a seasoned log and you can heat the garage while getting some work done.

cbrick
05-06-2011, 07:54 PM
I've got a cast iron 4 legged 2 burner stove I'm sure most of you have seen them. I want to set this baby up for smelting with a 20lb propane bottle. It has a barbed nipple for the hookup and I'm not sure that would work ok for propane. Would it be a good idea to set up a threaded connector for my propane supply. It will be regulated of course. Anyone use these old relics for smelting? It's in really nice shape and looks as if it would be much better than my Coleman camp stove/cast iron pot setup I currently use. I scored another 5gal bucket of WW free today so I'm in the smelting mood. I'd appreciate some input if anyone uses this setup. Thanks, Buddy.

Hhmmm . . . If this is old and in really nice shape it could well have value far beyond using it to melt lead. Are you sure you want to do this?

Rick

mroliver77
05-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have seen several post throughout the years here of others finding and using them. The barb will work well if you use a hose clamp. Not much pressure with propane. If you have an nonadjustable regulator there might not be enough flow. I cannot remember if these have an air flow adjustment or not. If it is set up for natural it might need tweaked to burn clean. It should not hurt to hook it up and try it out. Use some soapy water to check all connections for leaks before firing it up! Let us know the outcome.
Jay

Buddy
05-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I hooked up a non adjustable regulated propane bottle with a 6' hose double clamped to the barbed nipple and fired her up. It has an air adjustment for each burner so I loosened the set screws and adjusted the dampers till I got a nice blue flame with no yellow in it. Shoot, this thing will smelt lead at half throttle. I'm really pleased with it. It is a little heavy but I don't have to worry about it being unstable due to the position of the cast iron legs and frame. It's a keeper!