PDA

View Full Version : Molk smoke

beladran
05-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Some of my shooting friends use carbide lighters to smoke their rifle and pistol sights to reduce glare while shooting.

http://www.sbsdistributing.com/6.html

this is the smoker they use....

Think this could be used in boolit molds????

beladran
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
ooo i didnt mean to put "molk"

geargnasher
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Why in the world would you want to smoke your moulds? You been reading the Lee mould mis-directions again? :kidding:

Gear

05-04-2011, 04:39 PM
There is no need to smoke a mold. If boolits don't drop wilth no more than a tap on the handle hinge, then the cause needs to be identified and corrected.

beladran
05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
= ( my mihec mold takes more than just a tap on the handle hing.. Moreso when the HP pins are not used and your making flatnose boolits

Von Gruff
05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I found a hotter mould and a quicker turn out helped more than anything with boolits sticking in the mould. Right tempretures meant the boolits would fall without tapping while a cooler mould required excessive tapping. Hotter turnout dose require a more gentle aproach to the drop though as longer boolits can bend if they drop with one end on another boolit.

Von Gruff.

stubshaft
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, you could use it to smoke a mold. I tried it years ago and found like others that smoking a mold was not needed. Before you invest in one I would say to try using a wooden match first to see if it is something you really want to do.

Ben
05-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Or a butane cig lighter.

Ben

MT Gianni
05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
It could be useful if your mold cast large, and you didn't have any way to size, as a layer of soot will reduce the diameter. Most of us don't have that problem.

Doby45
05-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Having just cast a bunch of 401s from my Mihec mold and them being solid, I can tell you it has a lot to do with the heat of the mold to make them drop and you still might have to tap it more than once due to the deep lube groove and it being squared. Squared lube grooves tend to hold the boolit a little more than rounded ones.