PDA

View Full Version : Open Sight Milsurp Postal

rhbrink
05-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey milsurpers I feel left out not having one of them high flutin M1's how about having a open sight as issue match for the rest of us? Any open sight milsurp don't care how old or new, same rules, almost bet we can out shoot them any one want to try? I'll be shooting a old Mosin hope that doesn't scare anybody off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
this is just the thing for me to get off my Butt and load some CB for my Swede 96...or my P17, but that one is sporterized and has a commercial rear peep, but has the original bbl. We should set a few rules, will that P17 fly ? or are we sticking to stock mil surp. ?
Jon

rhbrink
05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
There isn't anything set in concrete, I would like a open sight mil surp class and how about a modified mil surp? Original barrel, action, trigger, no target stocks and no glass? If we get enough people interested we could have several classes for guns open for all and any suggestions.

Richard

Dutch4122
05-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Count me in!

walltube
05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
rhbrink,

Thanks for opening this thread. By "open iron sight", I do hope this include No.4 and No.5 SMLE with peep style rear sights.

Something tells me there'll be more questioners about all this soon to come, :)

Tracy
05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
How about instead of just no glass, make it original open sights? Maybe with a separate class for aperture sights. I have Mausers and Mosins I would like to shoot with, but they probably wouldn't be competitive against an 03a3 with its issue aperture.

DIRT Farmer
05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Let us know what the sight options are, I might have to get more than one dirty.

rhbrink
05-05-2011, 05:29 AM
I've been waiting to see what kind of response this would bring. I like Tracys idea so how about a "as issue" meaning original sights, stock, barrel, action, trigger, no glass bedding. Have two classes one for the open sight rifles and one for peep sights that way the 303 guys and 03-A3 guys can shoot and the people who shoot open sights won't feel handicapped by shooting against "peep"
All boolits are to be cast, can be plain base, gas check or paper patch. You don't have to cast them yourself could be store bought or give aways

Target will be the MR-31 if someone doesn't have one I will be happy to send them a target so they can make copies.

Shoot three targets at 100 yards, any rest may be used for the front of the rifle to rest on NO rear rest, must support the rear of the rifle by hand or shoulder.

10 shots each target for a total of 30, high score wins, X count breaks ties if still tied then the widest shot loses.

All load data must be sent with the targets along with the rifle info. This is just for fun and the most you will get for your effort is bragging rights.

Richard

DIRT Farmer
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
:kidding:How about no mention of score if I shoot like normal.

Montana Ron
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
this should be divided into issue peep sights and issue open sights, no modifications at all....period.........just as issue........shooting open sights against peep sights is NOT fair and we all know the difference so this should not be allowed...................

walltube
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm going to split some hairs here.

'03-A3 and '03-A4 Springfield have aperture sights with windage adjustment. Often an advantage over SMLE No.4 and 5 with Gov't. issue, elevation only adjustments. Possibly a "no fair" in some contestant's opinion. Don't scare me none. I'm just saying...

I have a couple more questions, but I'll wait for the Match Master and others to comment.

rhbrink
05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Dirt Farmer shoot as many as you like just send in the good ones.

I see no need to make this too complicated as in post #9 two classes one for As Issue open iron sights and one class for AS Issue aperture iron sights. It's just for fun anyway?

So what does everyone think of that? I see that we have one Irishman interested how about our friends from down under?

redryder
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Not from down under, more like from on top lol. But yes I am interested and will most definitely participate. Choices: Springfield 03-A1, Enfield O4 Mk 11 ( not likely), Swede M38, Snider LoL.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM
rhbrink,
Sounds great.
I am in...Swede 96 !
I like the "As issue" rules.
Jon

Dutch4122
05-06-2011, 07:45 AM
As issued sounds great to me. No need to get too compicated with the first match.

Smoke-um if you got-um
05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
As issue sounds good. Here is a link to make 8x11 MR-31 targets.

http://dotclue.org/targets/mr31-8.5x11.pdf

Mike

Tracy
05-07-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm in. I haven't decided what I'm gonna shoot, but probably my Peter the Great Sestroyetsk M91. Bayonet fixed, of course.

bob208
05-08-2011, 09:22 AM
as issued is all the rules you need. it easy to understand.

Dutch4122
05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Smoke um -

I like the looks of that printable 8.5" x 11" MR-31 target. Just click on "acual size" and print. They'll be easy to mail in, too! :D

rhbrink
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
What do you guys make of the advertisment on post #4 don't seem right to me?

Calamity Jake
05-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Shoot three targets at 100 yards, any rest may be used for the front of the rifle to rest on NO rear rest, must support the rear of the rifle by hand or shoulder.

10 shots each target for a total of 30, high score wins, X count breaks ties if still tied then the widest shot loses.

All load data must be sent with the targets along with the rifle info. This is just for fun and the most you will get for your effort is bragging rights.

Richard

So, we goina send the targets to you?
And when does it start/finish?

rhbrink
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Send them to me when you are ready send me a PM and I will give you my address. Starts pronto as in right now and am thinking ending midnight July 31 does that sound OK? Enough time I think for everyone interested to get out and shoot some boolits.

walltube
05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
What do you guys make of the advertisment on post #4 don't seem right to me?

given that the poster claims Kazakhistan as his hometown. Several of my Buds and I get similar e-mail spam from a purportedly Canadian pill pushing mail order house. How they know we're all 70+ yrs. of age have given us ammo for some good natured humour.

I think the Boss ought to have look into it.

redryder
05-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Seeing as how all this is just for fun and all, I thought we could just score, scan and post our targets right on this thread. Every time I mail something to the USA it costs me about 10 hard cast 200 gr boolits. Will that work for those that can and those that can't can still mail them in. Mr. RHBrink can still have the final say on scoring and weiners and all. Whadya think?

rhbrink
05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
That works for me I didn't really think about someone being form across the border and what it might cost to send to the USA. If someone wants then they can send their targets to me and I will post the scores. Whatever is the easiest way will work for me.
Richard

waksupi
05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Guys, you need to report the spam posts. We don't read every post on the board, so can miss some. Help us keep this trash off the board.

redryder
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Have you recently purchased a boatload of ****** or ******? It's not looking good for ya. Could be some hard times ahead. haha just kidding man, I see it's gone now.

rhbrink
05-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Looks like its all gone maybe the post numbers changed when that was deleted? Hope nobody missed out on the bargins? Oh Well back to shootin' boolits.

Dutch4122
05-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I decided to delete my other post on this page as well as this post. Reason for the deletions is that I don't want to sidetrack the original intent of this thread.

rhbrink, I apologize for any disruption I have caused.

Good luck with your postal match.

waksupi
05-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Guys, you need to report the spam posts. We don't read every post on the board, so can miss some. Help us keep this trash off the board.

This post referred to the removal. Staff has enough to do without all the extra stuff that seems to be going on. Get over it, and move on.

redryder
05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Dutch relax. Somehow in some way some spammer inserted a bunch of ads for ****** and ****** in post #4. It was not there originally, but only showed up after about 12 posts. I have no idea how they do these things. I was not trying to make fun of you, just trying to lighten the whole thing up. It's nothing at all. Just fricken spammers doing there dirt. It's all over now, but it may come back on someone elses post. It is not SERIOUS. Relax

357maximum
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Redryder has summed it up pretty well. THANK YOU

The report post button is available for all to use and the staff here asks that you use it the moment you see it PLEASE. It is the little red triangle with an exclamation mark and it is on the lower left side of each and every post.

The staff here covers many time zones and spends considerable time on here, but we still do not see everything. Those that spam simply outnumber us and some of them have some serious skill and will. Their efforts get nuked as they are found and posts get renumerated which can cause confusion sometimes. At the end of the day it is what it is and we should not get in an uproar over it as it cannot be stopped 100%. Immediately reporting such things can lessen the effects that they have on the thread.

Dutch4122
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
See post #29

rhbrink
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
To be honest I did not know what the little red triangle was for, I do now. So lets put all this behind us and get back to shooting.

Dutch I sure hope that you will still shoot with us and contribute with your knowledge of these type rifles. We need people like you!

Richard

Dutch4122
05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Richard.

I'm definately still in on this postal match. Just decided it was better to get rid of those posts & try to help your thread get back on track.

redryder
05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
OK just to start things off and see if we are doing this the way it was intended, I have 3 targets for you to shoot for lol. Shouldn't be too hard to beat. I shot a few better targets but always seemed to get one not even on the paper, probably a gas check came loose. Any way here you go. Have a look and see what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/milsurpbolt1-1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/milsurpbolt2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/milsurpbolt3.gif

So with these three I get a total of 86 + 90 + 91 = 267-3X. Does that sound right to everyone. I will be shooting some more targets, but gotta figure out how to keep those cheks on 100% of the time.
By the way, that is a nice easy load to shoot. Great fun.

RR

rhbrink
05-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Nice start there redryder, I'm sure that it'll take some score up in the mid ninety's to place well in this just guessing. I was shooting some plain base well Saeco 315 no checks lubed with 45-45-10 a couple a days ago but couldn't get the consistancy I wanted. About the mid eightys was the best I could do with them. So time to get the big boolit and the gator checks out and go to work.

rhbrink
05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
How about a 284-9X with my Model 39 and the Noe 316-365 shooting 19.5 grains of 2400. That should raise the bar a little.

redryder
05-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Still working on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/Scan.jpg

rhbrink
05-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Nice shooting there redryder looks like a 96 with 2X's can't tell how many X's are in the X ring. If you could have pulled that high 8 down that would have been a outstanding target. Guess just you and me shooting sure hoped that there would be some more people shooting in this.

Richard

Dutch4122
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
.....................Guess just you and me shooting sure hoped that there would be some more people shooting in this.
Richard

I'm still in. Just been working on load development. Not to mention the weather has been terrible around here lately. Only rains on my days off!:groner:

Pretty sure you'll have plenty of targets to score by July 31st.

Thanks again for running this.

Calamity Jake
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Ok I can play now, these were fired Friday 6/24 about noon, air temp about 95° with a 25 mph gusting to 40 mph wind at my back.
Gun is a 1903 Springfield, load was FC brass, WW LP primer,
NOE .311-165(AW 171gr) @ .311 with lars 2500+ lube, sent down range with 17.5gr of IMR 4227.

Total score 273-6X

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_1014e05e95e18953.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_1014e05e95e58cbc.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_1014e05e95e9c2cb.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

rhbrink
06-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Good shooting there Calamity Jake especially with a 25 to 40 mph wind even if its at your back that much wind always causes problems for me don't care what direction it's from.

Richard

DIRT Farmer
07-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Ok I got out Saturday and shot some groups at 100. I did OK but I must have moved the sights somehow and I didn't have my adjuster for rhe front sight along.

Hopefully.

rhbrink
07-13-2011, 06:18 AM
All-right glad to see someone still shooting this thought that maybe it just quietly went away. Anybody got any new scores?

303Guy
07-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Hey! I only just seen this thread now! Heck, I hope I have time to load up and shoot a target or three with my specially dedicated milsurp rifle. Unfortunately it has lost it's bayonet lugs and the fore-end has been cut back but the parts that count are still milspec. And it has long range adjustable sights. It's a Longbranch No4 but the bore might be a little rough for plain cast although I will give those a try too but paper patching is sure to work just fine in it.

I'm not able to open the target page. Any alternatives? I could create my own target if I knew the dimensions.

rhbrink
07-17-2011, 06:58 AM
ISSUE - Any military service rifle issued to any nation and legally sold as surplus and in strictly as issued configuration. The only modification allowed to the Issue rifle are - front sight height may raised or lowered as long as the original profile is kept, the sling and swivel may be removed and a slip on recoil pad may be used.

With that being said if you feel that your rifle meets these requirements go for it.

X - ring = 19 mm
10 ring = 45 mm
9 " = 70 mm
8 " = 96.5 mm
7 " = 147 mm
6 " = 197 mm
5 " = 248 mm

Good Luck, Richard

303Guy
07-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks. That rifle is the closest thing I got. I'll be looking for original woodwork for it. Someone must have a top cover - everyone takes them off so where did they all go? The fore-end might be a bit harder to find. In my parts, the bayonet lugs were removed for sale to the public - pity. Not sure why that was. Perhaps to do with the Auzzie laws? Still, it meets the requirement in intent and purpose so for a fun postal I'll leave it up to you folks to decide. I'll just give it a go anyway.:drinks:

rhbrink
07-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Mke yourself some targets and shoot this is for fun anyway.

Richard

303Guy
07-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks. I've got the rifle home and am starting on loads for it.

Calamity Jake, that's awsome shooting! (Put's me out of the race but hey, it's seeing what others can do that makes it fun!):drinks:

redryder
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Well after much testing, practice and many rounds, it seems the magic ingrediant was the Lapua Brass. Here are my final three targets, all shot today but not in sequence. Weather was pretty nice with very light wind (less than 5 kph) and about 22 celsius temp. I don't think I could do any better than these with a scope, but possibly it could be done a little more consistently.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/MilsurpM38cast1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/MilsurpM38cast2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RedRyder52/Milsurp%20postal/MilsurpM38cast3.jpg

For a grand total of 291 wiith 7X

This match was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about myself and about how frustrating these cast boolitt things can be, but it was also very rewarding and I am super pleased with the results. It was also very demanding and if I wasn't recently retired, there is no way I could spend as much time as these results demanded.

RR

303Guy
07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Great stuff there redryder! I know what you mean about time. I'm not going to be able to make it this time round.:-(

rhbrink
07-30-2011, 06:29 AM
That's some great shooting there RR going to be hard to beat that score!

Richard

DIRT Farmer
07-30-2011, 10:53 PM
OK, I finaly got a score fired. Taking care of Dad and the hours at the range don't always work but Igot a little time today. The 1917 Eddystone went funky on me today, might be that I loaded the rounds in a hurry and used large rifle instead of large pistol and used the LP powder charge. I went with my 03-A3 with a two grouve barrel.
The load was 13 grn of Green Dot in R-P brass droped with a Lyman powder mesure. Primers were Winchester L R the slug was Lyman 311-291 sized to 0.312 lubed with Lyman Alox. gas chech was Hornady. As I had intended to use the 1917, the slugs were tight to the rifling, snug bolt closing.
Weather was mid 90s humidity was in the 80s% miriage through the spotting scope was moving right to left. wind was calm to 5-7 1/4 to 1/2 value. light for the first and third target was overcast, second target was bright sunlight for eight shots.
I do not have a way to post pictures but would be willing to mail the targets to some one.
Scores #1, 81 #2, 87 and #3, 83.
Thanks to Richard for running the match, I enjoyed following it and I will load my brass in the morning while my wife is in church and if every thing is perfict I might get a chance to shoot a score with the 1917.
Alan

rhbrink
08-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Times up! Postem or send them in I'll start getting a list of score and equipment over the next couple of days

Richard

rhbrink
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks like thats about it had a total of four shooters the high score goes to redryder with a score of 291-7X thats some really fine shooting. Myself came in second with a 284-9X shooting my Model 39 Finn using the NOE 316-365 sized to .314 lubed with LBT shot over 19.5 grains of 2400 using a Federal primer. Third went to Calamity Jake with a 273-6X. The lone aperture sight entry was Dirt Farmer for a score of 251 that made him fisrt place in the peep sight division, Congrads!

Thats a challenging target for me anyway my front sight is wider than the target at 100 yards but fun anyway and I'm sure that we all learned something form this and maybe do it again.

Richard

DIRT Farmer
08-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks for running the match rh, I had fun.
Alan