PDA

View Full Version : Recycle or just shoot it up

475BH
05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
The title says it.
How many of you guys recycle as much of your lead as you can?
How many just shoot it up (:takinWiz: it away) and buy more?

geargnasher
05-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Boolit traps at every shooting distance. 4x4 partitioned boxes made from 2x10s and OSB filled with used blasting sand. Half sheet of asphalt sheathing on front for target pushpins, the whole thing is screwed together and the front panels are sectioned to be removed so the sand can be sifted into a wheel barrow and the front panels replaced every so often.

Nice thing is, I know exactly what alloy is in there, and the recovered boolits need no further attention other than melting/cleaning/fluxing and casting in to ingots, then more boolits!

Gear

btroj
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I pick up what I can from the berm. Sadly, the club frowns upon this so I do it when I am alone.
If I had a private range I would have a trap of some type so I could maximize the recycling.

Brad

CWME
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Do you have any pictures gearnasher? Sounds interesting... Been working out a snail trap in my head and looking for scrap metal to make one.

geargnasher
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
No, I don't, but I'll have to take some to show you guys. I'll probably stick them in JimInPhx's boolit trap sticky thread.

Speaking of that, Jim made some really neat portable wooden boolit traps filled with crumb rubber mulch that could be ported on a dolly and shot into end-wise, a good solution if you have a pickup truck and a strong back or one of those neato stake-pocket cranes.

Gear

jmsj
05-03-2011, 10:24 PM
475BH,
I recycle all the lead I can. I pick up all the range scrap that I can and sift out the berm behind the house a couple of times a year. I posted on koehleerk's thread that this keeps all my target shooting needs filled. I use fresh WW alloy for my higher pressure loads.
We could never afford to shoot the volume we do if it were not for free and recycled lead. Money always seems to be kind of tight around here. I currently load for my wife, daughter, myself and soon my son. By using recycled lead (range scrap) I have been able to get .38 Special and .45 ACP rounds down to 3-5 cents a round depending on the cost of primers.
jmsj