PDA

View Full Version : Shot my Piatta 1858 Remington today

NickSS
05-03-2011, 03:35 AM
After almost a year I finally put all my modern pistols away and took out my old reliable remington revolver today. It was cool and drizzling out but then my clubs firing points are all covered. This is really importent in Western Washington where I live. Any way there were several guy at the range all banging away with auto loaders and me. As soon as I dragged out my pistol it drew all the others at the range and after the usual questions I showed them how the thing is loaded and proceeded to fire my first cylinder full down range. I did this off hand with one hand at full arms length. I have to shoot this way as that is the only way I can focus in on the sights. My old gun still has it as my first six shots went into the 10 and X ring except for one flyer in the 9 ring. I reloaded and fired another 4 rounds to make an even ten rounds in that target. I scored a 99 with 6X at 25 yards. I was really steady today. I fired 30 rounds all together into three targets and got a 47 5x and a 48 7 X for my last two targets. For a stock pistol with no work done to it it shoots as good as I can hold it. I just loved the looks on the other guys faces when they looked at my target. Then I really rubbed it in as I told them it only cost me $99 at Cabelas in 1990 and they could get the same pistol for only $199 today. Needless to say my targets were much more impessive than theirs were.

missionary5155
05-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Good morning
Nothing like the small of BP in the morning.
I load up 25 rounds of 44-40 to launch out of my SRC made in 1907 every now and then just to remember how good shooting is.
Mike in Peru

Fly
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Nick I faver my remey over all my hand guns.It out shoots them all.In fact
I keep it loaded & put away for home defense.

Fly

Rio Grande
05-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I've got a used ("pre-owned" that is) coming, standard length.
I'd sure like to have one of the 5 1/2" ones.
nothing wrong w/ keeping one for home defense. For those 5 or 6 shots they shoot as well or better than any modern revolver.

NickSS
05-06-2011, 05:00 AM
I have used a C&B revolver for years as my trail gun and walking around gun. I have even relied on them for home defense on occasion. I have killed a lot of small game and varmints over the years with them and even dropped one deer with my Ruger OA with one shot to the head at about 60 feet. They do not load fast but will fire their five or six shots as fast as any other SA revolver will and shoot about as well too.

45-70 Ranger
05-07-2011, 12:20 AM
NickSS,

Well done sir! That series of targets are impressive! I would have loved to have seen those auto loading folks gawk at your shooting of your '58...My Pieta shoots a might low left, but I haven't worked on it yet. In the process of moving....and loosing my range at home, *(#*$#!!!! But again, well done and glad you had a great day at the range!

Wade

Idaho Sharpshooter
05-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Ain't life grand...?

Rich