PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a CZ 452 ultra lux

dale.l
05-03-2011, 01:12 AM
I have been wanting to get a good 22lr for open sights only. Im having a hard time desiding between the lux 24" and the ultra lux 28" I really want the ultra lux but am worried the 28" barrel will get in the way when hunting small game.

If anyone has one of these please give your opinion

thanks dale

hiram
05-03-2011, 05:50 AM
I recently got. Haven't fired it yet. There is a brno/cz area on rimfirecentral.com. A member there shoots his UL 300 yds with iron sights using Aguila's Interceptor. Other members say CCI velocitor is the way to go.

I don't know if the UL is being made anymore. Check this out and rimfire central.

Hiram

Baron von Trollwhack
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
I have a regular LUX in 22 mag. I do not think the bit of extra barrel length on the 28" 22 LR model would be a negative in the woods.

The long barreled 22s are noted for accuracy and their forte is quiet shooting as in 22 Aguila subsonics muted by the barrel length.

That's what squirrel hunting is about: quiet and accuracy. BvT

bobthenailer
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
with the regular 22lr max velocity is obtained in a 18 to 20 inch barrel after that you loose velocity .
with hiper velocity ammo it would probly be higher with a longer barrel
IMO thats a pretty long barrel on a 22 rifle 28" ! i have a rem 541 with a 24 inch barrel and i wish it came from the factory with a 22 of 20 inch barrel.
I have 3 rifles with 18 1/2 barrels and 1 with 24 inch barrel 3 with 26 inch barrels and another with a 30 inch barrel, the shorter barrels are my favorite waking around rifles !

BBA
05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
My son has one and it out shoots some very expensive target 22s. The 28in barrel does slow down the fps. It's not the best woods gun, but they are accurate. If you are looking for hunting type 22, a shorter barrel would be easier to carry. The LUX stock works great with peep sights.

Mk42gunner
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Dale,

Get what you want, four inches of barrel won't make that much difference. When I was a kid in the 70's and read about how two inches of barrel made a rifle a lot handier in the woods, it didn't make much sense to me because I never had any problems regardless if I was carrying my .22 with a 24" barrel (oal 40"), my Dad's with a 27" (oal 43"), or a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel (oal 49").

The only time I really wished for a short barrel was at night, coon hunting where your couldn't see the stuff you were running into. If I was still able to follow dogs at night, these days I would carry my K-22.

Robert

NickSS
05-10-2011, 06:05 AM
I have a regular lux and it is a tack driver but then so is all the CZs I own ever the little scout model for kids. As for barrel length I really do not see what the problem is. I have carried rifles with everything from a 16" to 42 inch long barrels in the woods hunting and have not had any trouble with any of them. Our fore fathers carried Kentuky rifles with 40+ inch barrels and had no trouble running through the woods with them after game and Indians when the occasion arose.

MBTcustom
05-11-2011, 10:23 PM
After a lot of research, I bought the ultra lux a couple of years ago. Excellent open sight rifle due to the larger sight radius. I get 1/2" groups at 50 yards with Remington gold bullets. The long barrel is a little cumbersome in the woods but it comes to point as naturally as a shotgun.
The trigger is so easy to adjust!! I have mine set on about 2lb. I had it set at about 1/2lb. but it would slam-fire if I worked the bolt very fast. FYI
Another distinct advantage to the long barrel, is that with cb .22 the rifle is more silent than a pellet gun, on the other hand CCI stingers are more effective in this rifle than any other production .22
Over all fit and finish of the rifle is excellent.
In my opinion, If you prefer to hunt with a scope, this is not the rifle for you. That said, you cant go wrong with any CZ .22 matter of fact, you cant go wrong with any CZ firearm of any kind.

7 Ring
05-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I have a CZ452 Lux and it is a tack driver ! I highly recommend it if it is within your budget.

Petrov
05-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Get the shorter lux, get Tech sights they will add about 6 inches to your sigh tradius.

Gunsmoke4570
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I have the UL and it is a tack driver! I had a regular LUX before this one and accuracy is about the same, just the longer barrel makes it easier for me to shoot. I also added a peep sight that replaces the rear blade and it works great too!

insanelupus
05-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Does the CZ Lux 452 & 455 have the traditional CZ safety which is backwards from say the Remington 700? Meaning, do you push the CZ Lux safe forward for ON safe and rearward for FIRE?

Petrov
05-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Yes, pull to the rear to fire.

doubs43
05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I've owned a Lux for many years. It's old enough to be marked "BRNO Model 2A" IIRC. I've given it to my youngest son and he's quite pleased with the way it shoots. As mentioned, it's not designed well for using a scope as the stock comb is too low. If one is mounted, it's best to remove the rear sight slide and spring to get the scope as low as possible.

On mine, the front sight has some elevation adjustment by sliding it up or down. The rear sight calibrations are for 40 grain standard velocity cartridges if my experience is anything to go by.

The Lux is, as would be expected, a very well made rifle and you can't go wrong with one IMO. I gave mine to my son because I have other CZ .22 rifles and rarely used the Lux in recent years.

Doc Highwall
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
The highest velocity with 22Lr is achieved in approximately a 18" barrel. A longer barrel is great for iron sights but means nothing when you put a scope on the gun.

The fit of the gun is important, and barrel length and weight of the barrel will affect balance then take into account the weight of a scope and mounts.

Now think about yourself being older and how this rifle will be to carry around for small game hunting. Most people when they get older are forced to us optic sights for shooting and should be taken into consideration.

doubs43
05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Most people when they get older are forced to us optic sights for shooting and should be taken into consideration.

Good point. In 1927 or 1928, my father bought a Winchester Model 52 from an elderly man who owned it only a few months. Intended as a squirrel rifle, the old man found it too heavy for carrying in the mountains. My father put a 5x Winchester scope on it that it still wears today. I've seen him do some outstanding shooting with that rifle. I did some pretty fair shooting myself with it. Sadly, it went to my older brother upon my father's death.