PDA

View Full Version : Video that might interest you

Geraldo
05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I got a Mike Bellm email newsletter today, and for those who don't get it he had a link to a CVA loading video. In short, they show why you shouldn't load smokeless in rifles that are not rated for it and what happens with barrel obstructions.

http://www.cva.com/dangerous-loading-practices.php

George Tucker
05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
My God, over a hundred grs of HS-6, should ruin about anything, George.

JeffinNZ
05-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Good demo. Trouble is, the folk who are dumb enough to do it dumb enough not to watch the video.

ilcop22
05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Wow. Smokeless powder in a muzzleloader would definitely kill you. I did not expect those results.

Potsy
05-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Gotta wonder if they tried a charge that kinda made sense before they set out to blow up a few guns. I'd have like to have seen what about 50 grn. 3031 would've done.
Not saying it's a good idea, just saying I'm curious.

So now we know 120 grains of fast pistol powder will blow up a muzzleloader. Very informative.

A casefull of HS-6 would play merry he** with a Ruger #1. Much less 120 grains in a muzzleloader.

Geraldo
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Gotta wonder if they tried a charge that kinda made sense before they set out to blow up a few guns. I'd have like to have seen what about 50 grn. 3031 would've done.
Not saying it's a good idea, just saying I'm curious.

So now we know 120 grains of fast pistol powder will blow up a muzzleloader. Very informative.

A casefull of HS-6 would play merry he** with a Ruger #1. Much less 120 grains in a muzzleloader.

I'm sure that for liability reasons they wouldn't show anything short of total devastation. Remember, the video isn't aimed at the expert reloader but the "hey, watch this..." crowd.

I have seen people on forums experimenting with smokeless powder in muzzleloaders that are not rated for such. I'm sure it will work, right up until it doesn't.

zorro 5858
05-04-2011, 09:26 PM
would be a good video to show at hunter safety. Also show this video when ever someone purchase a muzzle loader. : ) zorro

Captain*Kirk
05-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Holy Crapomoly, Batman! You hear about it, but you don't realize the destruction until you see it. Thanks for passing that on!

Mossy Nugget
05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Smokeless in a smoke pole? people who do it ON PURPOSE? :veryconfu Using the wrong powder is always a bad idea. Glad it was a controlled test. Short starts and obstructions can happen accidentally.
After I dialled in my hunting load, I put a notch on the ramrod as a safety check. If the notch isn't even with the muzzle, there is a problem: overcharge, undercharge, no boolit, double load, boolit not seated.... sumpin' ain't right.

rbertalotto
05-05-2011, 08:08 AM
120g of HS-6 would blow up a 4" field cannon............!