PDA

View Full Version : caribou

starmac
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
There were hundreds of caribou north of tulic yesterday.
There were only 2 pickups up there hunting them, one for sure was successful.

There were also hundreds of ptarmigen around up there yesterday.

grisy11
05-02-2011, 06:22 PM
How meany Caribou can you get up thare in one year

Von Gruff
05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
What were the pick-ups using to get the caribou [smilie=l:

:kidding:

Von Gruff.

DIRT Farmer
05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
:kidding:Von Gruff, Sounds like deer hunting around here. My wife used a '96 Buick to get her first buck last Fall.
Sorry about the hijack.

Brasso
05-02-2011, 07:41 PM
grisy,
When I was there in 1970-1973 you were allowed 3 caribou.

Sam

BruceB
05-02-2011, 08:23 PM
One of the few things I miss, since leaving the Northwest Territories in '97, is the caribou.

It's wonderful meat, tender and mild-flavored due to their moss diet. Depending on herd populations and political considerations, my wife and I were allowed no fewer than five animals EACH, and in some years the limit was ten each. We had no need for that many, so never filled all the tags when allowed ten each. We essentially lived on caribou, just as southerners live mostly on beef.

It certainly isn't "hunting" as we know it here. It was a simple exercise in meat-gathering because the animals show no fear of humans (at least, in the country we hunted). They are commonly encountered in herds, from small groups to as many as several hundred on rare occasions. It becomes a problem of avoiding wounding other animals if one's bullet penetrates completely. I've had caribou come within fifty feet to see what I was doing, while gutting dead caribou. When you have ten or a dozen down on the ice ready for field dressing, you have a job ahead of you!

If you've seen "Ice Road Truckers", you've actually seen the area we hunted. It was rarely necessary to go north of the timberline, but that ice road made for relatively-easy access to the caribou.

We learned some hard lessons in that environment. For instance, once we left civilization in winter conditions (maybe down to 40-below-zero or worse), we NEVER shut down the vehicles, even for refueling or overnight camps. Too many things can go wrong. Also, we NEVER refueled more than one truck or snow machine from one jerry-can or drum....if that particular can was contaminated, you could well kill TWO vehicles at once. Possibly life and death in those conditions, pards.

RugerFan
05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
There were hundreds of caribou north of tulic yesterday.
There were only 2 pickups up there hunting them, one for sure was successful.

There were also hundreds of ptarmigen around up there yesterday.

Do you mean "Toolik." Oh how I miss the Brooks Range.

leadman
05-02-2011, 09:18 PM
So, are we forming a "Group Hunt" ??

stubshaft
05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
So, are we forming a "Group Hunt" ??

Zip code 96744:awesome:

Love Bou Burgers!

Larry Gibson
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Love that 'boo meat!

Larry Gibson

starmac
05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Yea I did mean toolik. lol
To answer the question about the pickups, they are used to get the four hundred miles to get to the caribou, it would be a long pack out otherwise. These bows have to be hunted with bows anyway, unless you hoof it at least 5 miles from the road.

frankenfab
05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
They sure have pretty skins and antlers. And they're good to eat to boot?

RugerFan
05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
.... unless you hoof it at least 5 miles from the road.

Been there done that :D

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/AKcaribou_3.jpg

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2011, 06:28 AM
imo its the best tasting of all the vensions.

rbertalotto
05-04-2011, 07:07 AM
imo its the best tasting of all the vensions.

As long as you don't shot one during the rut! It has been said, Bou can be the best tasting meat or the worse, depending on when it is shot..........Cows are always a safe bet for meat.

http://images45.fotki.com/v1440/photos/3/36012/1365185/P9250029-vi.jpg

Up in Canada where I've hunted Bou, there are huge issues with the herds thinning out. Biologists are not sure what is happening.........sad