PDA

View Full Version : reformed

Newboy
06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I have never been afraid of old powders. I had some IMR powder from the early 60's. Had been stored in the opened, original cardboard container (probably 15 pounds) in the garage in East Texas. Was using it to load for my deer rifle up to last year. Every thing was fine.

Went to dig some out for a friend today, and it had some reddish color in the air in the container, and smelled real strong of acid or Clorox. Dumped it in the yard. (Sure hope my neighbor don't toss no 'butts over). Seems like when it starts to go, it goes real quick. But there was no doubt it was bad.

Went to looking, and another old 1 pound can of IMR had rusted through the metal can.

Don't think it's worth taking the chance on keeping the old stuff any more. Might start a fire where I don't want one.

Buckshot
06-02-2005, 02:51 AM
...........Speaking of tossing powder. When I got down to an unusable amount of powder in a can I dump it in a plastic jug. When we moved to town about 4 years ago I had probably 11-12 lbs. I couldn't see any use carting it along so my daughter and I burned it in the back yard one evening. I just poured it out in a pile with a little trail to light as a fuse.

After I lit it I backed up to where Christian was standing, maybe 6ft away. When the powder trial hit the pile it started burning up one side and then around the pile, all the time with us backing up. I was pretty bright and getting HOT.

We lived in a canyon and one hillside was maybe 100 yards behind the house. When that pile was fully going it had the backyard and that hillside lit up like bright daylight and the heat was intense! Believe you me, we were a lot further back then 6ft !

................Buckshot

Willbird
06-02-2005, 06:49 AM
The thing with powder is.....how do you know what is "old" ??

Hogden sold lots of powder that was salvage....probably still does.

I remember reading that IMR powders shipped to the ammunition plant came with a Litmus strip in the container to make sure the powder was still good.

Bill

anachronism
06-02-2005, 10:18 AM
The thing with powder is.....how do you know what is "old" ??
Hogden sold lots of powder that was salvage....probably still does.
Bill

In Newboys case, the dead give aways were the red dust, and the smell. I too, have some older powders which I check for deterioration before using, so far so good, but I know it won't always be that way.

Bob

giz189
06-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, I am no expert at demolitions, BUT, when disposing of some old powder I had had around for 10 or 12 years, I thought I would just put it in an old minnow bucket, water it down, and throw it away. Wrong. I had about six pounds of various winchester and IMR powders and 1 pound of some really old black powder. All was okay until I picked the bucket up to go put the water in it. That was 2 years ago June 1. I stayed unconscious 6 weeks, was in the burn cewnter for a total of 8 weeks, and was in the rehab hospital for 31/2 weeks, and still have open wounds on arms and legs, still have to wear jobst garments and cannot go back to work yet. Barely can still shoot. SO, WHEN YOU THROW POWDER AWAY, DO IT IN SMALL QUANTITIES AND IN THE CONTAINER IT CAME AND FILL IT WITH WATER. Sorry this is so long, but I would not wish this thing on my worst enemy. I just wanted to share with you. Thanks for listening.

Scrounger
06-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Well, I am no expert at demolitions, BUT, when disposing of some old powder I had had around for 10 or 12 years, I thought I would just put it in an old minnow bucket, water it down, and throw it away. Wrong. I had about six pounds of various winchester and IMR powders and 1 pound of some really old black powder. All was okay until I picked the bucket up to go put the water in it. That was 2 years ago June 1. I stayed unconscious 6 weeks, was in the burn cewnter for a total of 8 weeks, and was in the rehab hospital for 31/2 weeks, and still have open wounds on arms and legs, still have to wear jobst garments and cannot go back to work yet. Barely can still shoot. SO, WHEN YOU THROW POWDER AWAY, DO IT IN SMALL QUANTITIES AND IN THE CONTAINER IT CAME AND FILL IT WITH WATER. Sorry this is so long, but I would not wish this thing on my worst enemy. I just wanted to share with you. Thanks for listening.

I think there were very good reasons they invented something to replace black powder. The moral of your story is: Don't mess with black powder.