PDA

View Full Version : Search for a 311465 ended tonight.

10x
05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
My search for a Lyman 311465 ended tonight. I have been following ebay and other places where Lyman and Ideal molds come up for sale from time to time. I thought I had bought one ages ago but could not find it the casting cabinet.

I have found and missed a number of 311464 single cavity molds on Ebay that have sold for up to $120.00 when I did the sniper last five second bid of $31.00 higher than the showing last bid price, then got outbid by all of the other snipers bidding.

Tonight, when going through the molds to see if I had a .429 - 200 grain six cavity mold I found a set of mold blocks - you guessed it, a 311465 in double cavity that looks like it has never been used.
This little gem is going to get the oil cleaned out and will get a few pounds of lead run through it so I can shoot these bullets in my 7.62x39 Russian single shot and 300 savage 99 - not to mention I may limber up the marlin 336 and try them in 30-30 as well.

You may ask your self - three different guns to shoot the same bullet at roughly the same velocities and probably get the same accuracy? Same bullet, similar velocities, different delivery system. Why?

Maybe because one of those guns will really like the bullet and be extremely accurate, but it is probably because I have the gear to load those cartridges, and because I like shooting those guns.

I do feel blessed at finding this mold and then having the time and resources to use in these guns.
Life is good!

Blammer
05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
well don't you feel good now that you missed out on buying a mould you already have? :)

rintinglen
05-02-2011, 07:25 PM
That boolit is a favorite of mine--I have used it with happy results in a 32-20, several 30-30s, a 30-40, a 30-06, and I am going to get around to trying it in my 30 Carbine. The only non-success was when I tried it in a 303 Lee-Enfield--it was just too skinny for that fat old bore.

05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Congrats 10X, think I have one coming from a member on another site that was selling his goodies. If not will be doing your Ebay thingy also-lol. Glad you found your toy--like you said--life is good.:CastBoolitsisbest:

10x
05-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Congrats 10X, think I have one coming from a member on another site that was selling his goodies. If not will be doing your Ebay thingy also-lol. Glad you found your toy--like you said--life is good.:CastBoolitsisbest:

I have never cast a Guy Loverin desinged bullet that did not worker extremely well and was NOT accurate in most guns.