PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Questions

05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I recently acquired a Lyman 45 to augment a 4500. During reassembly, after its restoration, I noticed that no attention had been paid as to which way the pressure nut was installed. (Since another part was installed incorrectly, even if I had paid attention I'd still be asking.) I have a copy of the instructions and parts list, but it doesn't mention the pressure nut's orientation. Does the concave end go into the lube tube, or the flat end, ala the 4500, or does it matter?

Also, it came with an Allen headed set screw to secure the sizer die. Is that the correct part, or should it be a thumb screw, like the other set screws? The instructions and parts list doesn't identify the type of screw.

I know to not over tighten the sizer die's set screw, to prevent the frame from cracking, that the 4500's dual O-ring pressure nut is a replacement for the original, and that the handle is susceptable to breaking. Are there any other nuances or operating procedures that I should be aware of.

Thanks.

fryboy
05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
some of the oldest ones had thumbscrews for the sizer but most came with allen head set screws ( it mite of been the #1 that had thumbscrews ) as for the plunger/piston , if brass ringed the ring goes down ( the collar acts as a seal ) with the two grooved more modern piston it doesnt matter , and if it doesnt have the newer one i highly recommended it , IMHO while it isnt as heavy duty as the more modern 450 & 4500 i actually prefer the #45 , it isnt as umm a heavy duty of a sizer as the 4500 , if you do get a o-ringed piston for it a lil dab of oil before inserting the o rings helps promote longevity

05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks, Fryboy.

I suspected that it installed as you described, but wanted to make sure.

Also, as you mentioned, it's not as sturdy as the 4500, but its design gives it much better boolit/sizer die alignment. Because of that, I'll use it for longer rifle boolits and use the 4500 for handgun boolits.

94Doug
05-01-2011, 08:46 PM
If you would like a copy of a manual, send me an email. I have a PDF copy.

Doug

05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the offer, 94Doug.

There is a thread that has a link to the manual that I have saved to documents. In addition, I e-mailed Lyman with a parts availability question, and they mailed an unsollicited copy.