PDA

View Full Version : Lead Thermometer

wtfooptimax200
05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm looking for a lead thermometer and was wondering if there are any better products out there than the RCBS or Lyman. Any suggestions under $50 are appreciated.

blaser.306
05-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Go to the vendor sponsor page and look at NOE's thermometer ! $23.00 plus shipping .

cbrick
05-01-2011, 11:47 AM
***ooptimax200, welcome to Castboolits.

I think if you look into thermometers you'll find that most of the brands are all made by the same company, RCBS, Lyman etc buys them with their logo on it. I could be wrong but I think it's the Tru-Tel brand.

One of our sponsors, Roto Metals, with a link at the top of this page sells this same thermometer without the logo and I think it's a few bucks cheaper than the RCBS.

Rick

bumpo628
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Most people use one of these for $24.95 delivered:
http://www.kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

Scroll down to the part no. BBQ-TT-200-5-200/1000
The price is $18.95 + $6 shipping
Fast shipping and they accept Paypal.

MtGun44
05-02-2011, 12:46 AM
No offense, please, but I am getting a bit worried about this apparent fixation
on thermometers.

A thermometer is NOT an important piece of casting equipment. It is substantially LESS
useful than a chrono, a good 0.0001" micrometer and several good books on the topic.

Bill

cbrick
05-02-2011, 01:28 AM
No offense, please, but I am getting a bit worried about this apparent fixation
on thermometers.

A thermometer is NOT an important piece of casting equipment. It is substantially LESS useful than a chrono, a good 0.0001" micrometer and several good books on the topic. Bill

Guess that depends entirely on what you are trying to do and what it is you want to know.

Rick

captaint
05-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, now that I have had the thermometer for a while, I don't need it like I used to. But, now I know what the settings on my ProMelt give me in actual temp. I'm not sorry I spent for the thermo.. Mike

rbertalotto
05-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I like information........whether I use this information or not, I like having it!

Cowboy T
05-19-2011, 10:06 PM
For melting down wheel weights, I find the thermometer a good tool. Now that I know what to look for, I can do it without, but I prefer to keep the temperature at 600 deg. F. This seems to be optimal--"cool" enough to minimize purple/yellow/blue oxidation, but hot enough to burn off all the crud and flux well. I do recommend the Tel-Tru model.

gray wolf
05-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Got one,--- use it ,---- like it,--- glad I bought it.

A good landing is one you walk away from,
A great landing is when you can use the plane again

ColColt
05-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Lots of folks think pin gauges are unnecessary too but I derive solace from knowing what my throat diameters are without having to try and find a piece of lead small enough to drive down the cylinder throats. With the gauges, I can' find out real quick without pounding on the cylinder. That's just me, though. More than one way to do it like everything else.