PDA

View Full Version : Ideal 452488

skeet1
04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I recently saw on Ebay a mould that didn't look like it was getting much attention so I put in a bid on it. Well I got it, an Ideal 452488 single cavity in fair condition with a little rust outside and inside the cavity, along with a set of handles that are in good condition.

When I got the mould I started cleaning and outside came clean from the rust very well with the exception of the top of the sprue plate that ended up with some very minor pitting. I then went to work on the cavity with JB bore cleaner, Q-tips and some 0000 steel wool. The steel wool with oil took the worst of the rust out and then I started polishing with the Q-tips and JB. After polishing for a while it turned out perfect. It now throws a 195.6 gr. SWC perfectly.

I wasn't sure that I needed this mould as I all ready have a SWC 452460 that shoots real well but the 452488 is slightly lighter and because of arthritis in my right hand anything I can do to reduce recoil is good. I thought I would shoot the new bullet with 3.5 gr. of BE to see if it would function in my 1911. It does and shoots great and doesn't hurt my hand much. Looking forward in shooting the 1911 a lot more.

I guess that just because a mould might be rusty dosen't mean that it's ruined.

Ken

Jack Stanley
04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
That's great , here's hoping you gain a couple points to your average with it . ;)

Jack