PDA

View Full Version : Taps

Larry Gibson
04-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Taps has always been my second most favorite piece of music. The problem is I have a hard time with it because the memories over the years are too many and run too deep. My God but this is beautiful....my eyes are still teary and I'm still choked up....

Larry Gibson

ANDRE RIEU TAPS

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL - I NEVER HEARD "TAPS" PLAYED IN ITS ENTIRETY
Not what you may think. This is a definitely a keeper and worth forwarding to all you know.

The conductor of the orchestra is Andre Rieu from Holland. The young lady, her trumpet and her rendition of TAPS will make your hair stand on end.

Many of you may never have heard taps played in its entirety, for all of the men & women that have died for freedom.This is an opportunity you won't want to miss and I guarantee you'll never forget. Amazingly beautiful .. Melissa Venema, age 13, is the trumpet soloist. Here is Taps played in its entirety.

The original version of Taps was called Last Post , and was written by Daniel Butterfield in 1801. It was rather lengthy and formal, as you will hear in this clip, so in 1862 it was shortened to 24 notes and re-named Taps. Melissa Venema is playing it on a trumpet whereby the original was played on a bugle.

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

Finster101
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
A talented young lady and a quite solemn piece of music. Very difficult to sit through and remain dry eyed.

tryNto
04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Hauntingly Beautiful... Thank you for posting...

mooman76
04-30-2011, 07:41 PM
She did a beautiful job. I like the version they do in the Great Santini.

BruceB
04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Larry;

This is a very touching piece, and thank you for the referral. An enormous talent, for certain.

I don't believe this is "Taps", as this piece ("Il Silenzio") is described as being written in 1965...but we can definitely hear echoes of "Taps" in the composition. There are also parts of it that remind me VERY strongly of "The Last Post", played in British Commonwealth countries for the same occasions as we would play "Taps".

Again, a big thank-you for this. It is beautiful.

Geraldo
04-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Maybe this will help clear things up:

http://tapsbugler.com/an-excerpt-from-twenty-four-notes-that-tap-deep-emotions-the-story-of-americas-most-famous-bugle-call/

"Taps began as a revision for the signal of Extinguish Lights (Lights Out) at the end of the day. Up until the Civil War, the infantry call for Extinguish Lights was the printed in Silas Casey’s (1801-1882) Infantry Tactics and other manuals, the music which had been borrowed from the French. The music for Taps was adapted by Union General Daniel Butterfield for his brigade (Third Brigade, First Division, Fifth Army Corps, Army of the Potomac) in July, 1862.

Daniel Butterfield
Daniel Adams Butterfield (1831-1901) was born in Utica, New York and graduated from Union College at Schenectady. He was the eastern superintendent of the American Express Company in New York when the Civil War broke out. A Colonel in the 12th Regiment of the New York State Militia, he was promoted to Brigadier General and given command of a brigade of the 5th Corps of the Army of the Potomac."

Il Silenzio is beautiful, but it isn't Taps.

04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks, Larry.

Taps and Amazing Grace, played by bag-pipers, are quite moving.

Cherokee
04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting. In remembrance of those that gave all for each of us. I'm an old trumpet player, played it many times but never heard this whole thing before. Moving.....

Larry Gibson
04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Didn't say it was Taps as we know it.

Whoever wrote the intro I used (below my name) used "Taps" in quotation marks. The music was written in '65 based on "its thematic melody being an extension of the bugle military call for taps" in Europe. It obviously is based on the French bugle call that was in use prior to Butterfields revision.

Again, not Taps as we know it, still hauntingly beautiful and a masterfull performance by that young lady. Not trying to usurp our own Taps, lay claim that this is Taps, insinuate anything of the kind or change history, just thought some may enjoy it simply for what it is.....beautifull, as I did.

Larry Gibson

smoked turkey
04-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for sharing this link. Very moving.The young lady is very good as we all can tell. It brings back memories of my high school days. Being a first chair trumpet I was asked to play "taps" a few times for special occasions. One time I remember well even though it was almost 50 years ago (some things you never forget), I was asked to play at an old veterans grave side service with the understanding that there would be an echo played at the conclusion of mine. When I finished I remember a mornful sounding bugle from a distance away and out of sight in some adjacent woods. Mine was pretty polished and frankly without the feeling given by some old veteran who undoubtly had been there. He put me to shame that day!

Von Gruff
05-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Hauntingly beautiful. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it and both heard echo's of our last post in there.
Thanks Larry for posting.

Von Gruff.

Love Life
05-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Taps is a truly beautiful piece of music, but I can't stand to listen to it.

stubshaft
05-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Taps is a truly beautiful piece of music, but I can't stand to listen to it.

I thought I could listen to it but after a couple of bars that was it. Too many bittersweet memories.

Love Life
05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Nothing but bad associated with Taps.

Geraldo
05-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Nothing but bad associated with Taps.

I guess it's how you look at it. The last time I heard Taps was a month or so ago. While Taps is sad, I find the flag presentation chokes me up more. At any rate, the funeral was for a man who had served honorably decades ago, and it seems a fitting tribute to a life well-lived and honorable service to one's country. Sad, certainly. Bad, never.

DCP
05-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Plus 1

Larry thank you.
That young lady made it look easy. Its not.

I am trying to learn to play Taps on a WWI trench bugle and a USA made Scout Bugle. Its not easy at all. I can do it all but the end. The 1918 trench bugle was my Grandfathers. The one who took my Dad me and my Brother hunting. The one who gave me my 1st gun when I was a baby. It was a Dasiy 141 Defender (Korean War Defender)

I guess it's how you look at it. The last time I heard Taps was a month or so ago. While Taps is sad, I find the flag presentation chokes me up more. At any rate, the funeral was for a man who had served honorably decades ago, and it seems a fitting tribute to a life well-lived and honorable service to one's country. Sad, certainly. Bad, never.

casterofboolits
05-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Beautiful! Yes, listening to taps can be a tug at your heart, but it is also saying "rest easy" to a vet. The last time I heard taps was when we laid my father to rest, He served three and a half years in the Pacific with the 24th ID. He did the long hard slog from Australia to Luzon with stops at some islands in between.

He was a gunner on a 37mm anti-tank gun that never saw a running Japanese tank. He spoke of the 37mm cannister round with awe. He said it was better than a bush hog for clearing the under growth. His company wiped out a Japanese Battalion who insisted on charging into six 37's and twelve 50's one day

I miss that ole man every day..

MtGun44
05-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Taps has always been meaningful for me, but when we interred my nephew it permanently
carved a place in my heart. I cannot hear it any more without tearing up, for him and for
all the others that have given everything so that we can live free.

Taps to me is a beautiful, yet painful reminder that Freedom Isn't Free.

Bill