PDA

View Full Version : Building A Smelter

wtfooptimax200
04-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I would like to find a decent burner for which I could build a frame to hold my pot for smelting wheel weights. I found the following burner:

http://www.cajunbarbecue.com/propane-burners/high-pressure-jet-cooker

Would this be sufficient? It seems that the 185,000 BTU rating may be somewhat inflated (when considering the average turkey fryer is 50,000+/- BTU). Any suggestions for an economical, reliable burner/regulator/hose would be appreciated. Basically, I'm looking for something that I can be incorporate into a frame, attach to a propane tank, and smelt.

Any input is appreciated.

HATCH
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
How much weight you plan to smelt?
the one you linked doesn't look like it will hold a lot of weight.

mebe007
04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
How much weight you plan to smelt?
the one you linked doesn't look like it will hold a lot of weight.

I think he's just interested in it for the burner itself

jsizemore
04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd put a piece of plywood on top and stand on it. If it will hold your weight wiggling around then your good to go.

I started with a 5psi regulator and moved to 10 which is what I use now. I can melt a 130lbs in my 10quart dutch oven in 15 minutes. That 20psi regulator should be a volcano.

geargnasher
04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
I'd put a piece of plywood on top and stand on it. If it will hold your weight wiggling around then your good to go.

I started with a 5psi regulator and moved to 10 which is what I use now. I can melt a 130lbs in my 10quart dutch oven in 15 minutes. That 20psi regulator should be a volcano.

Yes, the regulator makes a huge difference. I added an adjustable regulator to mine (which has the cast-iron ring burner with three rows of nozzles) and doubled the flame height. I can actually crank it up to where the tips of the flames burn yellow (too rich) so I back it down until they're all blue and it will melt 100 lbs in 20 minutes.

As far as standing on it, it depends on how much you weigh! I tip the scales at about 170 fully dressed and equipped, I asked my boss (who attends a gym and weighs regularly on known accurate scales) to help me check a bathroom scales I had for verifying scrap weight folks bring me from time to time at the shop, he stepped on it and springs went flying! Turns out the scales maxed at 250, he maxes at 290! If a burner stand can support him, it can hold up to anything you'd want to put in a dutch oven.

Gear

lurch
04-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Mine must be good to go then. It will support my 270...

05-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I have 2 of those cajua burners. My pot will hold 150-200 lbs. The pot is made out of a 8" pipe and i made a shild around it to make it heat up faster.