PDA

View Full Version : anyone use Lee 9mm Makarov mold

corvette8n
12-16-2006, 05:50 PM
I have an E.G. Makarov and so far have only fed factory hardball thru it. But I am complating re-loading for this. Any favorite recipes?
thanks

No_1
12-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I have reloaded the hardball like you. I have yet to get a mould for it. If you have not done so already take a look at www.makarov.com . They have a lot of useful info.

Robert

I have an E.G. Makarov and so far have only fed factory hardball thru it. But I am complating re-loading for this. Any favorite recipes?
thanks

223tenx
12-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I have the LEE 6 hole SWC 9mmM mold. I have cast thousands with it but never shot any. I think the Lee catalog listing is a round nose .365. Mak.com had Lee make a 6 cav.SWC mold for them to sell in the store and they may have a few left. I understand they've closed their store and deal only online. If anybody is interested in trying the SWC boolit, I would be glad to provide a few. Email me your address. I have some cast, so if there's not many requests, I could send them out asap. They may still have some loading data on their website.

mike in co
12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
YES IN MY 38 S AND W......SIZE IT DOWN TO FIT....
SORRY NOT MUCH HELP
i shoot the sierra and hornady bullets in my mak.

mike

Trapshooter
12-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I hve the Lee round nose mould. It has worked quite well in a couple Bulgarian Makarov's and a Polish. (I load them down for the Polish.) Cast from wheelweights, not sized, Lee Liquid Alox, and Unique or Universal Clays. Groups similar to ball in the Bulgarians, better groups than ball with the Pole because the recoil is more managable. They cast pretty fast, and a pot full of metal lasts a long time. I also use the bullet unsized in a 38 S & W Webley. and sized down for .380s and 9mm. Performance similar to the Mak's in the 380's, good enough for plinking in the 9mm and Webley. A pretty useful mold.

Merry Christmas, and a prosperous new year!

Dave

Charley
12-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Pretty much all my 9x18 loads use the Lee RN. WWs, with a bit of 95-5 added to the pot. Accuracy is on par with commercial J****d projectiles.

quack1
12-17-2006, 01:23 PM
I use the Lee RN unsized, with LLA over Unique or HS-6. Both powders shoot about the same as jacketed.
I got to looking at that shiny chrome bore and wondered how little lube you could get away with. I ended up finding I could shoot about 25 unlubed straight wheelweight bullets before accuracy started going bad. The leading pushed out easily with a bore brush and some Ed's red.

gregg
12-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I have the LEE 6 hole SWC 9mmM mold. I have cast thousands with it but never shot any. I think the Lee catalog listing is a round nose .365. Mak.com had Lee make a 6 cav.SWC mold for them to sell in the store and they may have a few left. I understand they've closed their store and deal only online. If anybody is interested in trying the SWC boolit, I would be glad to provide a few. Email me your address. I have some cast, so if there's not many requests, I could send them out asap. They may still have some loading data on their website.

When you seat the bullet with the SWC you have to set it
out as far as you can. Right up to the lube groove. That to
make it feed well. Mak's will. feed just about anything as long
as the overall length is right. Hope this helps.

guninhand
12-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I use an RCBS Makarov mold. Assuming the Lee mold bullet has the same semi-globe nose, there is one important thing to know. The Lee dies are worthless for reloading the Makarov because the roundnose bullet in the seater die works like a ball and socket joint, and it is extemely difficult (for me impossible) to seat the bullet straight in the case.

I had to use Hornady dies to get the bullet seated straight.

Wayne Smith
12-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Gun. I have the mold, but no brass or dies yet. Two Mak's, though. Gotta get that one going with cast reloads this year, sometime. Now I know which dies not to get.