PDA

View Full Version : putting together my shopping list, would like some input

trickyasafox
12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
first off let me apologize, i know you guys probably get sick of checking these lists and do feel bad to have to ask. if it makes anyone feel better, i did use the search function first :)

for a smelting burner, i really don't want to pay 40 dollars for a turkey frier, is their another burner/stand combo available that might be a little more affordable? i know some people have said they use old colmman camp stoves, but i have access to no such thing.

for the actual casting process i was going to get a lee pro 4 20lb production pot
and i wasn't going to bother buying actual ingot molds, it seems like you can use any sturdy steel container for the ingots

i wanted to cast eventually for:38sp, 9mm, 40cal, 45acp, and if it's feasable, 7mm

i'd like to leave 7mm out in the beginning because until i get a bit experienced, i want to use just straight wheel weights. unless someone knows if you can just cast 7mm gas checked with WW and not have problems, im a bit intimidated by mixing alloys still.

of the pistol calibers listed, i can probably only afford 2 sets of dies in the beginning. I could be wrong, but i was thinking 9mm and 40, just because i shoot them the most, and i figured since they are the lightest bullets i'll be casting they are probably the most forgiving if my hand isn't that consistant with pouring from the get go.

i wanted to try those lee TL 6 cavity molds, i hear some people still get the sizers to go with them? if thats the consensus, can i just get whatever mold i want, with the sizer and still use the LLA? As a final point, if i do get the sizers, do you guys recommend the .452 or the .451 for 45acp? i'll be shooting these out of a g30 and a Springfield armory Mil-Spec. (not to sound forceful but i have heard the warnings on lead and glocks, and i think it's kinda bull-hockey. i've shot some lead out of 3 glocks, 9 40 and 45 without an issue)

also, is one set of handles really enough? or is this like with reloading presses. sure you only NEED one tool head, but an extra makes your life a LOT better?

also i was wondering if anyone had a specific 'recipie' for cutting LLA. like 1part Mineral spirits to 2parts LLA or something like that. and how much should i get to start with? 1 or 2 bottles? it's not available locally, and everything i'll be purchasing is from midway. I have dealer status with them (yay for ffl03s!) so please base suggestions off whats available there.

my total budget is going to be 200 dollars, probably plus or minus 20. I'm in college and i'll be working hard to scrape up that much! :-D

i was going to get that frankford arsenal mold release agent, for the molds and for the ingot molds as well. i am unsure what to use to lub the molds though. i don't have any grease base lubricants on hand, so i am very open to suggestions.

for a ladle and skimmer, i was just going to get those heavy duty BBQ looking ones available at lowes or WM. . . any reason to get anything different?

I have no problems with buying things used! i've been checking the classifieds here and think im finally ready for the plunge. however i very rarely if ever see lee 6 ingot molds for sale. this makes me wonder if people just don't like them and they aren't on the used market, or people like them so much they just keep them. . .

oh and i am going to some estate sales to try to get a cast iron skillet or pot, and try to find some nice old muffin / anything tins. but if you guys have gotten aluminum ones to work, or cheapie ones, i'd like to hear about that as well.

i am sorry this post is so long, i do appreciate any help that is given. if i have any glaring holes please let me know and your suggestion on filling it.

thanks!

mike

ETA: to get lead i was going to try trading my scrap brass for lead at the recycling center. i still have to contact them to make sure they will accept scrap rifle / pistol brass. does this seem worth while or is it a bit foolish to try it?

Bret4207
12-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Wash your WW in soap and water first, then use your Lee pot to melt. Flux it good with anything like candle wax or bullet lube. Works fine. Much of the dirt will go out with the wash water. Do not add wet WW to a hot pot. Steam explosions possible. LLA works fine straight for non- magnum type loads. I wouldn't try a 6 banger yet till you can handle a 1 or 2 cavity mould. Don't bother with Franklin Armorys mould release. Waste of $$. Smoking your mould with a wooden match works better and is cheaper and there's not mess to clean. Lube your moulds working sections with bullet lube or wax or plain pencil lead.

My advice would be start with the 38 in a 1 or 2 cavity mould. TL is ok I guess, never used one. Try using them as cast from straight WW with LLA (Frog Snot I call it). Aim for making good booilts and target type loads frist, then worry about the auto loaders. With a revolter there's no need toreach a certain pressure to acutate the slide, feed problems, or uneven case trimming to worry about. Start with the simple stuff like a 150 ish gr boolit and 2.5-3.0 Bullseye. Get the hang of it before you sink a bunch of your limted funds into it.

imashooter2
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I've smelted a fair bit of lead on a $5 yard sale Coleman stove. I've used aluminum muffin tins for ingots too, but they bend all to hell when you flip them. No big deal. Just bend them back semi flat to pour the next batch. I've also traded cartridge brass for WW at the local scrap yard. I get 2 or 3 to one depending on prevailing metals prices.

mooman76
12-16-2006, 07:57 PM
You can go to a dollar store to get a ladle to skim with. As long as it is metal of coarse. Mine has a plastic handel and works fine. Just don't leave it in the lead. It only takes a few seconds in the melt to skim off the garbage so the handel doesn't get hot enough to melt. You can use empty aluminum cans for ingots just make sure they are absoluitely dry. Water when mixed with molten lead will explode like you don't believe, trust me I know!
Like Trp Bret said starting out a 6 banger will be hard to use and you can put out allot of bullets with a 2x, it goes pretty fast. Try a thrift store or yard sale for a cast iron pot.
You shouldn't have to dilute LLA but if you do mineral spirits does it but usually if it is just a little thick you can set it in hot water and that will loosen it up. The Lee resizers come with a bottle but it doesn't hurt to have extra.

BruceB
12-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I have a 2-cavity 9mm Lyman 356634 (135-grain truncated-cone) mould here which has fallen into dis-use. There's a one-cav Lee 7mm here, too, and I don't own a 7mm rifle right now. If you want them, I will donate 'em to "the cause". Might be able to come up with a set of Lyman handles, too. There are probably a few other things here which you could use and I don't really need. Let me check around.

Anyone else have stuff which might fit into the pore starving student's needs list?? I enjoy helping folks who are new to the hobby in their first steps.

Harbor Freight should have some of those cheap cast-iron gas burners, intended as camping stoves, I think, which would work well for smelting. I've seen them in 1-, 2-, and 3-burner form, but a single should be ample.

Send me a Private Message (PM) with your address, and "we'll see what we shall see"!

trickyasafox
12-16-2006, 10:05 PM
thank you so much BruceB! your offer is very generous! pm sent :)

mooman76
12-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I have 2 Lee 105g 38/357 SWC mould. It's a good little accurate plinker and is small enough it can be used in the 9mm also. And I have a RCBS lead dipper that I only used one. I didn't like it as much as my old dipper so I never used it again. I'll go through my stuff, I'm sure I have some other stuff. Yours trickyasafox if you want them!

Mark

trickyasafox
12-17-2006, 12:53 AM
i'm speechless at the generosity i am recieving. thank you so much. I don't really know what else to say except thanks!

OLPDon
12-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Mike:
PM me address I can add to your new addiction. Welcome to the fold.
Don

Bass Ackward
12-17-2006, 08:28 AM
i'm speechless at the generosity i am recieving. thank you so much. I don't really know what else to say except thanks!

TAF,

There once was a spider who built a web and a fly that was constantly buzzing. After awhile, the fly started to complain about being tired, so the spider invited him to land in his web as he could rest.

And you think these casting items are generous huh? :grin:

trickyasafox
12-17-2006, 12:03 PM
soon i'll have earned the right to use the :castmine: ninja icon. . . .I don't care how addiciting it is! it's sounds to darn fun not to try:mrgreen:

OLPDon
12-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Bass:

Don't give too much info he is just starting off and he has no idea yet.

Sincerly Fellow Web Spinner
Don

OLPDon
12-17-2006, 02:39 PM
TAF:
Bass called it as per my PM. You have a chance to "Back Out" if not you are committed. And you bet we will make you feel guilty. Only Kidding! Maybe?

One Of Your Many Web Spinners
Don

PS Just thought about it, send (1) Cast Boolit your best to your Web Spinners. I would like a fruit of your labor.

BruceB
12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
"Student bucks" come pretty hard, so I believe we're making strides here in cutting your start-up costs.

Urny, over in Elko, has given me permission to send you his Lee 10-pound casting furnace which I just happen to have here. Bottom pour, thermostat control, and it should get you underway in fine style.

The mould situation is looking pretty good, too. I have the 7mm 1-cavity mould, a 2-cavity .45 roundnose mould, a 2-cavity tumble-lube .38 wadcutter mould, and the Lyman 9mm 2-cavity 356634 with handles. All but the Lyman are Lees, and have handles. All are surplus to my needs and haven't been used in years, except the Lyman which I replaced with another 9mm design.

Straight wheelweight alloy will work fine with all the above. Some means of sizing will likely be needed for all but the tumble-lube boolits, and the ideal setup is a proper lube-sizer. Dies for that machine can add up, but some of us probably have some available "below retail", and maybe there's even a lube-sizer available inexpensively as well. Lee makes push-through sizers, but that means hand-lubing the boolits. SLOW, if talking about handgun loads by the hundreds.

I have your address. It may be a few days before I get this stuff in the mail, but I might just find a couple more goodies...who knows?

Call it your Christmas present.