PDA

View Full Version : recommended rb mould?

troy_mclure
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
im picking up a .36 navy arms seven seas derringer.

the online manual recommends a .35" ball and a .30"-.39" patch.

what mould would you recommend? and what size(L x W) patch?

would a patched ball, or wad and ball be better for this gun?

also any peculiarities or tricks with this gun?

NickSS
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
I do not know if your derriger is rifled or not as some are and some are not. It sounds to me that from the stuff they published that the bore diameter is .360 so a .350 ball with a patch is what you need. Your patch size you mention does not make sence as is sounds more like a wad size. If the pistol has a .360 bore you will need .15" thick patches and they can be round or square at least 3/4 inch across or you can cut them after you start the ball with a patch knife from a piece of cloth. Most of the derringers I have tried are none to accurate at futher than card table ranges but that is what they were designed for.

troy_mclure
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
its a plinking at the range gun for my friend that loves to shoot bp but is none too good shot. lol

thunderthud
04-30-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree with Nick, I think Lee makes this mould. .350 rb and any kind of cotton patch spit or grease. Won't make too much difference cuz like he said after about 10 feet you wont be able to tell where the ball went. If u really want to see, get a roll of butcher paper and aim for the center even it its pretty far off point of aim you will most likely see where it hits. I use this method for rifles & pistols both.

troy_mclure
04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
cool, thanks guys. ordered the lee mould.

RwBeV
05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I would like to see how it shoots, could you let us know?

Bob

troy_mclure
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
yep, im heading to the range this week sometime.