PDA

View Full Version : Squid round!!!!

Lizard333
04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
I was at the range today shooting my 44 Redhawk and got a round that failed to fire and got my slug stuck in the barrel!!! The primer went off and the powder was fouled by lube!! I was able to to take a wooden rod and push it back into the cylinder but talk about a buzz kill!! I was shooting quite a few loads through my pistol and it was pretty warm. I must of had some lube that didn't get wiped off left on the base of my bullet. The only thing I can figure is while it was sitting in the cylinder, the lube melted and fouled the powder!! I was using a Hard lube, Lyman's Orange Magic, but apparently it was hot enough in the cylinder to melt the lube and foul my powder. I was bummed. I make it a point to wipe off the base of my boolits after I resize them through my 4500, but I must have missed one. This ever happen to to anyone else?? I have only been reloading lead boolits for about two months now, and this is my first mishap.

leadman
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh, I thought you were shooting your seafood!! LOL . Either that or you had a squib round.

Had one once caused by a piece of corn cob tumbling media. Can cut your day short for sure.

TonyM
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
wow... I've never had that happen before. What powder were you using?

btroj
04-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I would think OT would take ALOT of heat to melt the lube enough to foul the powder that badly.
I once had a problem with wc820 in my SRH. Powder was just a wad behind the bullet stuck in the barrel. I added more crimp and the rounds went off fine. Large charges of slow burning powder needs pressure for a good burn.

What powder, charge, and bullet? Bet it wasn't the lube.

3006guns
04-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I've had squibs from no powder in the case (not my reloads) and had to do the same drill in order to free up the gun. There have been instances where the boolit gets into the barrel and the shooter ears the hammer back for another shot. Then he buys a new revolver.

I can see how excess lube might cause it though. About all you can do is what you're already doing, i.e. make sure the boolit base is clean before seating. In fact, I make a practice of wiping the base across one leg of my Levis as soon as it comes out of the sizer. A denim cloth fastened down the the bench would serve the same purpose of course!

Another thought......could it be something from your case preparation? Some kind of cleaner or water left in the case by accident? I usually wash my cases in hot, soapy water then rinse and dry in the sun for several hours or blow them dry with an air nozzle if I'm in a hurry.

243winxb
04-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Light powder charges of H110 or W296 might produce a squib. Using a non-magnum prime would maybe have an equal effect. What powder are you using??

04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Where I live, squid is caught on seasonal basis and is a restaurant staple.

I've had one squib: .357 Magnum, proper amount of W-296, small pistol magnum primer, but a weak crimp slipped past me.

TonyM
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Come on, you guys have never made a mistake? The ridicule isn't necessary. steve k

On a lighter note, at least he won't make that mistake again....:-D

Guesser
04-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I've had squibs several times in 50 years of hand loading and a few times with factory ammunition. Lots of reasons it can happen. We strive mightily to prevent the occurrence, but some still slip thru.
Just don't stack them!!!!!!!!!!!

Doble Troble
04-28-2011, 08:44 PM
A squid/calamari load is one you loaded without powder, but can't accept the fact that you were capable of loading it without powder. It gets lodged in the barrel just the same, but something about it still seems "fishy".

waksupi
04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
If you want to see inventive spelling, join us in chat some evening, and try to decipher my spelling! Thank God for spell check here!

gray wolf
04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Why is there lube on the base of the bullet to begin with ?
Bevel base ?
I lube 1,000's of pistol bullets with my old Lyman 450. I never wipe any off, there clean.
Did you see power in the barrel ?

04-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Come on, you guys have never made a mistake? The ridicule isn't necessary. steve k

Ridicule was never my intent, just a bit of light hearted humor.

If I ever make such a typo, I'd expect and welcome the fun, jokes, ribbing, etc. to begin. Sometimes, we have to laugh at ourselves.

HATCH
04-28-2011, 09:23 PM

a BIG +1

It happens from time to time.
Most of the time its from low powder or no powder.

I guess it is possible that you did have lube on the bottom of the boolit but hard lubes take some heat to get melted. The cylinder would have to be really hot and the loaded rounds would of had to stay in the cylinder for a little while for the heat to transfer thru the brass to the boolit to melt any lube on the bottom of the boolit.

I would lean towards low powder charge. It happens. I have had one in the past 5 years. I know what happened for mine. I run a dillion 550. I pulled the round out of the powder station to check the load. I put it back but forgot to put the powder back in. Like I said it happens.
Don't get discouraged. Just be more careful.
Its all about steps. Just make sure you don't skip any.

ColColt
04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Lube does have a tendency to get on the base of a bb bullet but even that's not enough to cause that kind of problem. I'm sure I've overlooked a few in getting it off and loaded the rounds that sit around for a week before I shot them and they all fired without any squibs. Has to be something more.

RobS
04-28-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm interested in the load as well. Lyman Orange is a higher temp lube that I don't see melting down and migrating into the case very easily.

Groo
04-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Groo here
I have had a few my self..
It is not usually lube or primer but powder[lack there of] incorrect primer for the powder
[296 or H110 but not magnum primer]
or an undersized bullet ,lack of crimp , or split case...[bullet moves too quick].
If the later there will be a large amount of discolored powder in the gun..
If no powder then the bullet is usually at the cylinder / barrel gap.
not enough powder and the bullet will be most the way down the barrel.

jmsj
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Lizard333,
I have a few over the last 25+ years. Most of them have been from really light target loads. This past weekend I was shooting my Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt and had a squib load. The thing that was different was this was a fairly warm load. The boolit was a 300 grainer from a mold I got from RobS, a healthy dose of 2400 and a heavy crimp. As soon as I pulled the trigger obviously something was wrong, the recoil felt less than a .22. I pulled the cylinder to check to see if the boolit was still in the barrel and was surprised to see that the barrel was clear.
I guess my point is, squibs can happen.
RobS,
I am really liking the 300 grainer, it is the best boolit I have for my 45 Colt Vaquero.
jmsj

wiersy111
04-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I had my first squib round tonight!!!!! I just started using a Lee Load Master. I have loaded about 500 rounds with it so far. I am 100% positive there was no powder. It kinda went pfffttt, I knew right away what was. Now I have to figure out how I did it.

alamogunr
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
I had a squib load in a 1911 .45 ACP. No powder. It cycled the slide though. I almost pulled the trigger again but my shooting partner told me to hold it since it didn't sound right. Sure enough, there was a bullet(jacketed) stuck midway in the barrel. I never did figure out why the slide cycled.

John
W.TN

fredj338
04-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I doubt it was a bullet lube issue, never seen it happen & it's just about all I shoot is lead bullets, hot or cold, never happened. Depending on the load, could be powder but most likely you forgot to charge one, happens to the best of us.

deltaenterprizes
04-29-2011, 06:06 AM
These gentlemen are not being hard on the OP, just using this as a "teaching moment". This forum deals with very technical subjects and use of the proper terminology is important.
The "spur or spruce plate" is another example.
A glossary of terms related to bullet casting would be a nice educational tool for new members.

Bret4207
04-29-2011, 06:34 AM
At leas the wasn't shooting "pills". I don't know why, but that terms just bugs me to death!

Yup, I've had squibs, quite a few in fact. Mind you I wasn't always the sophisticated reloader you've come to know and love. I've used components that were easily twice my age, primers that were plainly "iffy" from a moisture standpoint, powder that was clearly degraded, lubes that were far better suited to machinery than shooting...it happens when you're desire is bigger than your bank account.

soldierbilly1
04-29-2011, 07:22 AM
yes, I have had one or two till I finally figgered what it was about. I was using a soft lube, Lithibee, and I stored the loaded boolits straight up. the lube softened and deadened the powder causing a squib load. really stinks. In a match, I watched a 45 boolit saunter passed the target I missed and impact into the berm! I now keep my boolits cool, use NRA 50/50, wipe bases WELL, and store boolit down. No probs since then. Like the man said, don't stack them!
billy boy

gnoahhh
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
I know it's a matter of semantics, but squib loads are not what you call a bullet stuck in a barrel. A squib load historically is a term describing a very low velocity round for caliber (such as a light bullet at 800-1000fps in a .30/30). Think "bunny load". A bullet stuck in the barrel is, well, a stuck bullet. But not a "squib". Read some of the work by the early experimentors like Sharpe, Mattern, Narramore, etc. and you'll see the word used frequently, and not to describe bore-stuck bullets.

Perhaps a very low velocity round would make a good "squid" load!

9.3X62AL
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
I've stuck a few bullets/boolits in bores. "No powder on board" was the cause in these events. A primer has quite a bit of power--enough to drive a jacketed bullet 3" into a bore (25-20 WCF) and likely enough to cycle a 1911A1 slide with the bore obstructed by a bullet.

Squid.......the smaller ones make fine bait for game fish. Some anglers go after the larger-model Humboldt squid, a thing I fail to understand at all. Such creatures are even less welcome on my boat than are envirowhacks and eco-non-logical fruitbats.

Oh, SQUIBS. Got it. Never mind.

Olevern
04-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Squib loads throw up a big red flag to the loader using a progressive press and fast pistol powders. Reason being that if there is one with little to no powder, where did that powder go? If it hung up in the powder tube, then dropped with the next charge, an overcharge (or double charge) is possibly in one of the other cases from that loading session. Just one reason I've avoided the lure of the progressive press over the years I've been reloading.

44man
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Groo here
I have had a few my self..
It is not usually lube or primer but powder[lack there of] incorrect primer for the powder
[296 or H110 but not magnum primer]
or an undersized bullet ,lack of crimp , or split case...[bullet moves too quick].
If the later there will be a large amount of discolored powder in the gun..
If no powder then the bullet is usually at the cylinder / barrel gap.
not enough powder and the bullet will be most the way down the barrel.
You have the right ideas about an under size boolit for the brass, over expanded cases with no tension, soft boolits that get sized when seated, reduced slow powder loads, etc.
Now the easiest way to have a reduced load of 296 or H110 is escaping some of you. You use a max load, poor case tension and a mag primer. The primer has enough force to push the boolit out of the brass before any ignition takes place so now you have a VERY reduced load because you increased air space. Since each boolit is out a different amount and most light off, you still spray the targets. It is like using a different powder charge in each case.
The first thought is to use MORE CRIMP but that is wrong and does little of any benefit.
If boolits seat real easy, reduce the expander or buy better dies like the Hornady's. They have the best expander setup.
I have been shooting the .44 since 1956. I found the tension problem long ago. I have used 296 since it came out and I can not remember the last time I used a mag primer except to test them. The have always tripled my groups so I have used only the Fed 150 about forever. CCI 300's do in a pinch.
Even with good tension and a tight crimp, a mag primer does have enough force to budge a boolit in the small .44 mag case.
If a load is not assembled right, the mag primer can increase the chance of a failure.
There is no reason for a mag primer in the .44 with any powder. Federal now uses the 150 in their .44 loads.

linotype
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
"If you want to see inventive spelling, join us in chat some evening, and try to decipher my spelling! Thank God for spell check here! "

Years ago, when PC computers were just marketed, I was working for a computer store, and software was really buggy. The first word processor spell checker was terrible.
Just to be a wise guy, I typed in "spill chicker" for "spell checker" and it passed!

So don't feel too bad about spelling.:smile:

44man
04-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Let's talk primers more.
I had to work loads for a .454 for a friend. I started using starting book charges of 296 but no SR or SR mag primer would light them. I needed a brass rod and hammer at my shooting bench. They only ignited with max charges or more. Accuracy was fleeting.
I cut some .460 brass down and also cut .454 brass for a LP primer.
I found the Fed 150 would light off even starting loads but the case is large enough for the Fed 155 and it proved more accurate in the end.
It allowed me to find a sweet spot just below max loads.
I then took loads to over 55,000 psi with no harm to the LP mag primers. They looked normal, none flat and perfect indentations.
I have tested the Fed 150 in the .475 and .500 JRH without any failures but because of the large cases, the 155 is more accurate.
Then another case of the wrong primer was the .45ACP round in a revolver. The LP was too strong and it was spraying the target. We switched to a SP case and groups tightened very nicely. These worked wonderful in the 1911 as well. The LP is fine in an auto because there is no boolit jump but we got better groups with less primer pressure.
You have to learn your primers and what each does and where one works better then another.
By the way, even testing the 150 against the 155 in the .44 at -10* has shown me the 150 is still more accurate. Proper case tension still allows good ignition.

cajun shooter
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
You have done nothing that has not happened to even the old perfect loaders of this forum. Some will admit it others will never let you know they made a mistake and blame it on some other reason. I loaded my first rounds in 1969 with a hammer type of Lee kit and my first one was during that time. I had not learned how to organize my loading steps with a set up similar to a auto assembly line yet. This style of loading will give you squib loads on a regular basis. I am happy to hear that you were able to not do any damage to yourself first and the gun second. Oh and by the way I don't think that you did anything wrong with your spelling as for me it put a smile on my face for two reasons. One is that I enjoy going to Tarpon Springs,Fla. where the Greek fishing population know how to cook it so well with tomatoes and green pepper and other seasonings. Second it was a jump back to my first years and all the being green mistakes I made so others could smile as I looked onto their faces. Take Care

ColColt
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
The only time I've had a squib load was with Federal ammo in 40 S&W caliber...quite a revelation. I've never had it happen with hand loads that I recall. The gunsmith at the range got the bullet out and I promptly set aside the rest of the box, wrote down the lot number and contacted Federal. Results were a new box of ammo and a letter of apology wanting me to send the rest of the box to them. I'm glad it wasn't in a SD situation.

white eagle
04-29-2011, 09:49 AM
be careful and have fun
at the very least you were keen enough to realize there was a
failure and did not blow up you gun or worse
so squid,squib or tuna you are learning and that is a good thing

Bret4207
04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I know it's a matter of semantics, but squib loads are not what you call a bullet stuck in a barrel. A squib load historically is a term describing a very low velocity round for caliber (such as a light bullet at 800-1000fps in a .30/30). Think "bunny load". A bullet stuck in the barrel is, well, a stuck bullet. But not a "squib". Read some of the work by the early experimentors like Sharpe, Mattern, Narramore, etc. and you'll see the word used frequently, and not to describe bore-stuck bullets.

Perhaps a very low velocity round would make a good "squid" load!

Actually, it's "Squibb", in reference to the "Squibb" design 311413 which was designed by a guy named "Squibb". It was one of the earlier GC designs and was very popular for reduced range shooting with light loads...Squibb loads.

The earlier light loaded factory rounds, like the 100 gr 30-30 were called "Gallery" or "Short Range" loads.

No offense intended, this is just more of the near useless trivia you pick up when you put in a few hours with a stack of American Rifleman mags from the 20's and 30's.

warf73
04-29-2011, 12:20 PM
At leas the wasn't shooting "pills". I don't know why, but that terms just bugs me to death!

I've stuck a few "PILLS" but it was do to media in the flash hole.

I love my pills Bret they are good medicen for targets.

gnoahhh
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Actually, it's "Squibb", in reference to the "Squibb" design 311413 which was designed by a guy named "Squibb". It was one of the earlier GC designs and was very popular for reduced range shooting with light loads...Squibb loads.

The earlier light loaded factory rounds, like the 100 gr 30-30 were called "Gallery" or "Short Range" loads.

No offense intended, this is just more of the near useless trivia you pick up when you put in a few hours with a stack of American Rifleman mags from the 20's and 30's.

Aha! I stand (somewhat) corrected! Thanks Bret. Reading the old guys is very educational. Not much that is discussed here is new. Most of it has already been hashed out in the old books, journals, magazines of 80-110 years ago. If more people had access to that stuff, and read it, there would be a lot less redundancy burning up band width!

Centaur 1
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Before I learned about hot glue boolits I machined some teflon wadcutters to practice with. They have a lot more resistence in the barrel and they got stuck quite often. What I found is that with just a primer they would go completely into the barrel and once the rear of the projectile cleared the cylinder gap they stopped. I started adding Bullseye in 1/2 grain increments and it needed about 3 grains just to leave the muzzle. So much for quiet gallery type loads. Everytime one of those plastic slugs would stick, you could hear the gun release the pressure from the gap. More of a gun fart than a bang. Guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't take very much of an under charged load to stick one in a revolver barrel.

wills
04-29-2011, 01:43 PM
“The best way to explain the root meaning of "damp squib" is probably simply to point to its closest American English synonym -- "dud." A "squib" in British parlance is a type of firecracker, so a "damp squib" would be a firework that fails to properly explode because the gunpowder has gotten wet, a real disappointment to those of us who live for loud noises."
"The origin of "squib" is a bit of a mystery, but the most reasonable theory traces the word to the actual sound made by a firecracker that just fizzles. "Squib" first appeared in the early 16th century, and in addition to the "firework" meaning has since developed figurative senses of "a gun," "a short, sarcastic essay," "an insignificant person," "a small drink of alcohol," and others. The idiom "damp squib" dates back to the mid-19th century.”
http://www.word-detective.com/050404.html

“Scott v. Shepherd 96 Eng. Rep. 525 (K.B. 1773) Squibs are mentioned in a prominent tort case from eighteenth-century England. A lit squib was thrown into a crowded market by the defendant, and tossed from bystander to bystander until it exploded in the plaintiff's hands…."

"While most modern squibs used by professionals are insulated from moisture, older uninsulated squibs needed to be kept dry in order to ignite, thus a "damp squib" was literally one that failed to perform because it got wet. Often misheard as "damp squid",[7] the phrase "damp squib" has since come into general use to mean anything that fails to meet expectations.[8] The word "squib" has come to take on a similar meaning even when used alone, as a synonym for dud.[9] Squids, on the other hand, are frequently damp, and therefore not useful in this simile “
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_(explosive)

squib
“1520s, "short bit of sarcastic writing, witty scoff," of unknown origin. If the meaning "small firework that burns with a hissing noise" is the original one, the word might be imitative”
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=squib

"SQUIB ROD
Mfr:BROWNELLS

“No-Mar Brass Rod Knocks Stuck Bullets Out Of Bores
Don't let a stuck bullet from a "squib" or weak load cut short a shooting session. Far superior to other rods or makeshift punches, this non-marring brass rod fits the bore closely, can't wedge between bullet nose and rifling. Each rod is drilled and tapped to thread onto a Dewey cleaning rod; very handy for knocking stuck bullets out of rifle barrels”
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1251/Product/SQUIB_ROD

Doby45
04-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Sounds more like you have a fear of progressive presses than a desire for safety. I have seen and heard of far more "squib" loads coming from loading on a single stage and using a loading block than I have heard of "squibs" from progressives. The only squibs I have made to date have been from loading test batches on loading blocks and missing a piece of brass.

Squib loads throw up a big red flag to the loader using a progressive press and fast pistol powders. Reason being that if there is one with little to no powder, where did that powder go? If it hung up in the powder tube, then dropped with the next charge, an overcharge (or double charge) is possibly in one of the other cases from that loading session. Just one reason I've avoided the lure of the progressive press over the years I've been reloading.

alamogunr
04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Sounds more like you have a fear of progressive presses than a desire for safety. I have seen and heard of far more "squib" loads coming from loading on a single stage and using a loading block than I have heard of "squibs" from progressives. The only squibs I have made to date have been from loading test batches on loading blocks and missing a piece of brass.

Mine was produced on a single stage, although a friend an I are partner's on a Dillon. I do development on a single stage.

John
W.TN

Olevern
04-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Sounds more like you have a fear of progressive presses than a desire for safety.
did I step on your toes or something? Fear of progressive presses? No desire for safety? What's up with that?

Doby45
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Nope, no stepped on toes at all. I was simply asserting my opinion based upon the information that you gave us. Thats what we do here on forums.

Just one reason I've avoided the lure of the progressive press over the years I've been reloading.

It would appear that you "avoid" progressive presses out of a fear that you will get a squib. When the reality is you are just as likely or more so to get a squib on a single stage. Basically, it has nothing to do with the press at all and more to do with your loading practices.

Squib loads throw up a big red flag to the loader using a progressive press and fast pistol powders.

I think a squib load throws a big red flag up to any loader. And I would be far more concerned with extruded rifle powders on a progressive powder measure than a fast pistol powder (most of the fast pistol powders flow like water).

Olevern
04-29-2011, 08:40 PM
I think a squib load throws a big red flag up to any loader. And I would be far more concerned with extruded rifle powders on a progressive powder measure than a fast pistol powder (most of the fast pistol powders flow like water).

That might well be, but fast pistol powders when doubled up usually take very little space in the case and form a dangerous overload. Normal loads with Extruded powders more often fill a large percentage of the case and two of such charges would likely overflow the case, bringing attention to the problem.
(Not in all cases, but perhaps much more frequently than fast pistol powders.)

Charlie Two Tracks
04-29-2011, 08:54 PM
I had a squib last year using Bullseye and a 148 WC. The bad part is that I don't know how it happened. I was using 2.7 gr. of Bullseye and dispensing it with a LEE disc on my turret press. Maybe the powder bridged and didn't drop any. After that, I always look to see the powder in the case. 2.7 gr. of Bullseye in a .38 is not a whole lot of powder to see.

Shooter6br
04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Had two incidents. 45acp's.

kyswede
04-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I had a bullet stuck in my .357 barrel a couple of months ago. It was a reloaded 125 gr. JHP 38 special. Most likely no powder in the case. I pulled all remaining bullets, about 75, dumped out the powder, and reloaded them,weighing every charge. These had been loaded on a Hornady Pro-7 press without the powder drop linkage. (Don't forget to trip the powder.)Since then I have been using my Lee Classic turret press with a Auto-disk attached. (And boolits)
kyswede

snuffy
04-30-2011, 12:12 AM

The 5 station dillon 650 has available a powder sensor. It's not a lock out die, but sounds an alarm if the powder is less than or over what it's set to. Apparently this means we can load squibs, but ONLY if we ignore the alarm, don't follow up to visually check for the correct amount of powder.

Next, someone is going to say you can double charge with a 650. Nope, can't happen with the dillon measure, you have to complete the stroke to reset the measure. That results in the auto advance turning the shell plate to the next shell.

Hornady LNL has 5 stations as well, but their powder sensor die is simply visual, you have to be looking right at it when at the top of the stroke.

It doesn't make any sense to bad mouth progressives because you just don't like them. Or you think we're cheating because we can load fast!? :confused:

thx997303
04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
If people would please step back and READ what was written, you will see that a particular poster expressed that he sees a potential problem with a certain tool, and made a decision to not use said tool.

Nowhere did previously mentioned poster say that progressives are bad, or that you are wrong for using them.

No need to jump all over somebody because they don't see things the same way as you.

Seriously, nobody should need a half drunk 22 year old telling you guys to grow up. :2 drunk buddies:

Lloyd Smale
04-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Ive had bullet lube on a base cause it and have had a few incidences of tumble lube on the base doing it too.

Lloyd Smale
04-30-2011, 06:39 AM
been loading on progressives including lees hornadys and dillons for over 30 years and have yet to have a squib or double charge that was any fault of anything but my own lack of attention. Ive said it for years. If you are the type of loader that will have mistakes on a progressive youd have them on a single stage too.

btroj
04-30-2011, 07:57 AM
The press is not responsible for the error, the operator is.

Elkins45
04-30-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm really sloppy about wiping the lube off he bases of my bullets and I've never had lube deactivate a charge in hot weather. I have failed to drop powder into a case. In fact I did it with the first box of 50 I ever loaded with my Lee Loader back in 1981.

I've read about black powder cartridge shooters (I'm not one) who cut 'grease cakes' to seat under their bullets in big BP rifle cartridges. Wonder how that works on hot days? I also remember a story from Dean Grinnell in the first edition of "The ABC's of Reloading" where he talked about some rounds loaded with a homemade lube that were stored above a radiator all winter. Apparently most of the lube melted out of the grooves and caused almost the whole box to either be complete duds or be so low powered the bullets barely left the barrel. So it seems that it can happen.

Freischütz
04-30-2011, 04:29 PM
We have cast boolits. Why not squid loads?

gnoahhh
04-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Good point!

geargnasher
04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I've had one so far, caught it on the press. Happened when I short-stroked my Pro-1000 during a primer hang-up (let the primers get too low in the chute). After I finished the session a little birdie told me to go back and shake every cartridge next to my ear to hear the powder. Sure enough, there was one dud. Now I set up a bright light and mirror and ground a window notch in the top support plate so I can SEE the powder in there before I stick a boolit on top.

The law of averages says that, sooner or later, you'll have an accident of one form or another, no matter what you do or how you do it. We do our best to keep this from happening, and knowing our shortcomings and the most likely intersections with disaster is key to preventing them.

Gear

firefly1957
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Tempted to joke also but he needs to look at case/bullet I will bet there is no powder in it he said he pushed bullet back into cylinder (and case?) with dowel so every thing should still be intact. If there was lube in the case the powder should be a mess and stuck together in a clump! I have had one "MISFIRE" with my reloads in 44 Mag. and it was because I did not charge the case the crimp held the bullet it did not leave the case at all! I have also had a MISFIRE in a 50-3 1/4 Sharps loaded with a Barnes 600 gr softpoint bullet and a hat full of IMR-4320 that was due to incomplete ignition and the bullet was stuck in barrel the remaining powder was "fused into a single pellet and was a strange yellow color. I burned that pellet and it was very active as in it moved around a bit.
Ah hecK here is a Squid load :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31975&stc=1&d=1304210812

Lizard333
04-30-2011, 08:58 PM
All right.... i guess after a couple of days the embarrassment is subsiding... So about my calamari....

I use a Dillon 550B press. Using a bright light, I check every that every round has powder drop and that a primer is fed. With this round of reloading I was using a 240 grain PB RN boolit with 9.0 grains of HS-6 powder. When I removed the slug from the barrel, I was able to remove the brass and dump out the powder. Only the powder didn't pour out, it more or less came out in clumps... The powder was thick with the excess lube that somehow mad it to the powder. Like I said before i try to make sure that I wipe the base of my boolits off, but the only thing I can think of is that there was a glob of lube on the base of my boolit and my redhawk was hot enough to melt it to fowl my powder. First time ever having a SQUID round in 10 years of reloading.:-) I have had primers fail, but that had nothing to do with me.

Lesson learned about SQUID and SQUIB.:kidding:

firefly1957
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
My one powder non charge was being distracted while loading, I had my young son on my lap.
So you answered your question I would not be embarrassed to much we ALL do the same and because it is a word spell check is of little help. Something to keep in mind is you can still edit your post and change the offending "D" into a "B" so people who are reading later on are confused by posts about Squid. Then ignore comments Or "ask What are you talking about" It does show if you edit post but not what was changed. If you were to go though my posts you will find a few edited for spelling but I do hope I do not find lube in my powder that sucks.

Lizard333
04-30-2011, 10:45 PM
My one powder non charge was being distracted while loading, I had my young son on my lap.
So you answered your question I would not be embarrassed to much we ALL do the same and because it is a word spell check is of little help. Something to keep in mind is you can still edit your post and change the offending "D" into a "B" so people who are reading later on are confused by posts about Squid. Then ignore comments Or "ask What are you talking about" It does show if you edit post but not what was changed. If you were to go though my posts you will find a few edited for spelling but I do hope I do not find lube in my powder that sucks.

Yes I feel dumb, but the post sure got a lot of attention!! Ill leave it.. No harm, no FOWL.

Doble Troble
04-30-2011, 11:30 PM
The fowlest squid/calamari load I ever had was 12 ga Lee slug sans powder.

I must have neglected to slide the slider on the Lee LoadAll, and then ignored that it seated too easily. It sure didn't come back out of the barrel easily. Just the primer was enough to send it almost exactly half way down the barrel, and the plastic wad must have melted into glue and welded into both the slug and barrel.

It took Kroil, a BFH and a 5/8" brass rod to get it moving. This was out of a nice, new to me Auto 5 with Buck Special barrel - high pucker factor. Everything came out well in the end. Learning hurts.

blackthorn
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I thought "fowl" was a bird (chicken, turkey, etc) and "foul" was bad (smell, dirty, etc.)! Sorry couldnt resist. Have a great day!

Doby45
05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
It was an intentional play on words blackthorn. Sorry couldn't resist. Have a great day!

ironhead7544
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
The only time Ive had Squibbs is with a 357 Magnum. I was using a listed load with 125 grain JHP. The revolver actually hissed loudly and slung the bullet very slowly downrange. I looked in some loading manuals and found that charge was not even listed as minimum. Had to go up 2.0 full grains to stop the Squibbing.

Melted lube can downgrade the power of the powder in a cartridge. When the Winchester Silvertip was first brought out it had an aluminum jacket. This required a lube and groove like a lead bullet. The lube was found to be effecting the velocity by melting into the powder. The jacket was then changed to a gilding metal with a silver colored plating. IIRC, the 32 ACP Silvertip still has the aluminum jacket and has a good reputation for expansion.

Concerning the problem the OP had, I have seen clumps in cans of powder. It is possible he had one of these go through his measure and into the case.

Elkins45
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm just hoping that somewhere in the hundreds of handgun rounds I have on tap there isn't a double charge waiting for me. Squib loads are certainly inconvenient but I'm confident I'll be able to detect the lack of recoil and noise in time to keep from firing the next round. You don't get the chance to 'unpull' the trigger on a round that turns your gun into a grenade.

David2011
02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Eye kin spel gud.I juss cant' tipe.

Lizard, I've only had one empty cartridge that I can recall and I did it on my Dillon 550. IT WAS MY FAULT and I could recall the series of events later that caused it. Something had gone worng and I didn't do enough safety checks when I got the press going again. It was on.45ACP as well. Shooting against h clock, I racked the slide faster than the people around me with electronic ears could stop me and fired again. The loads were light cast boolit loads so the gun didn't blow up. I got a 10 point penalty for an extra hit but since the gun was still working I finished the match with it. Upon teardown a ring just ahead of the leade was found so I replaced the barrel.

In another incident I had some squibb loads, deferring to the history lesson, which were unintended. This time they were .40 S&W on my Dillon 650 which is much harder to not charge a case (or double charge) on than the 550. I had just moved and was reloading in my workshop which was opened up in the evenings to keep the temperature tolerable. I hadn't yet built an enclosed and temperature controlled room. After a pffft round at a match I found that the boolit had left the barrel. Back at home later I found that June bugs were crawling into brass in the case feeder and dying there. I saw that the decapping punch had run through a June bug at the powder station. They were apparently isolating the spark from the powder sufficiently that the powder just barely burned. I quit leaving brass in the case feeder until I got the enclosed reloading room built in the shop and never had the problem again.

David