PDA

View Full Version : So what else do you collect?

David LaPell
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
So what else do you have that you collect? I remember as a kid collecting Matchbox Cars. I wish my parents had kept them considering what some are worth. I had hundreds of cars. I got an allowance of $3 a week for helping out, and since they were cheap, I would usually get three cars or at least one. Birthdays, Christmas was filled with tons of these things. I had all the cases and an wooden packing crate filled with those cars.
I have a few cars now, but they are bigger and have more significance. I have a couple of S & W cars, but a few more. I have a 1/24 Crown Vic that was our first formal transport car (we had three) with our department, the new ones are blue and I am some day going to have one of those done. The white diplomat is identical to the car my father had growing up in Rouses Point, NY. The department was so laid back that I remember going with him to get the car, and watching him put the decal, just a simple seal, on each side of the car in our driveway. it was like Mayberry, I remember during the summer going with him on calls, not that we had alot, but I remember a couple of really good brush fires. Can you imagine doing that now? I was only 6-7 years old! In the middle case are a couple of my older cars. The red Thunderbird is very special, its the only car of my original collection I still have, it was given to me by my grandfather at my birthday when I was only around 6 if I remember right. The Ford Bulletnose is my favorite car. The #40 car is a gift for my son, along with the black Studebaker to get him started with.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/diecastpolicecars.jpg
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/diecastcars2.jpg
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/diecastcars.jpg
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/Smithcars2.jpg
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/Smithcars.jpg

Wayne Smith
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
According to my wife, bad habits!

EMC45
04-28-2011, 12:17 PM
As a kid I collected bruises and scars...

gnoahhh
04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Morgan silver dollars, antique fly reels, antique split cane fly rods, 1st edition books, hand planes, Leica screw mount cameras, shot shell boxes (full), .22 rimfire boxes (full), L.C.Smith shotguns♥, Savage 99's♥, Colt revolvers♥.

Any wonder I'm not married?!

1Shirt
04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Crackel glass and bills!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Trey45
04-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Zippo lighters.
Pocket knives, concentrating on auto knives.

S.R.Custom
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Kerosene lamps and lanterns. I've only got about a dozen, but I'm constantly buying and selling. The old Alladins are particularly cool. I don't burn them much, though. At this altitude, kerosene doesn't burn worth a damn.

Tom-ADC
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Assorted knives, black powder firearms, wife has a huge Barbie collection.

onondaga
04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Vibroplex semi-auto telegraph keys, particularly pre-1920 models with the Broadway logo plate. I'm also an Amateur Radio Operator and use these things. My late mom was a telegraph operator for the Red Cross throughout WW2 and taught me the Morse Code as a game with the alphabet using a telegraph key when I was 3 years old.

The semi-auto Vibroplex keys are called "Bugs" because of the bug image on the logo plate.

Gary

btroj
04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Not a darn thing. I don't collect moulds or guns either, I buy them to use.

Kraschenbirn
04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Military history texts and documentation, concentrating on the years between 1859 and 1954.

Bill

jhrosier
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
I collect old shooting and handloading books.
I have a lot of the books written from the fifties and earlier.
I'm more interested in the content than the collectors' value, so some of them are reprints.
The older Lyman handloading manuals are very interesting.

Jack

frankenfab
04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Zippo lighters.
Pocket knives, concentrating on auto knives.

Too cool!

I don't collect either, but I have ONE really nice auto knife. Do you happen to have a really nice Weatherby Zippo? This is a hot link photo, my knife has pocket wear, but has never cut anything.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=541&pictureid=3799

Trey45
04-28-2011, 08:52 PM
OOHHH Protech blue jazz Godfather, awesome knife! I don't have any Weatherby Zippos.
My latest Auto Knife is another Mikov, the only pic I have of it is in this shot here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=394&pictureid=2660
This makes my third Mkov, They're Czech Republic knives.

mold maker
04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Lead, Silver coins, Gold nuggets, memories, and years. I have more of them than anything else.

stubshaft
04-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Coins, old fishing reels and model engines.

3006guns
04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Guns (big suprise), antique machine tools, model T and A Ford parts, antique stationary engines, one antique tractor............

I really need to buy some acreage..................

midnight
04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Besides the guns and hoarding reloading supplies, since joining this forum I guess I collect bullet molds. I think a collection of every mold Miha has made would be a fine collection.

Bob

plainsman456
04-29-2011, 01:32 AM
I collect M&M stuff.
When you get them you get to eat the candy and the grand kids love them.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-29-2011, 02:24 AM
Big Bore Rifles and handguns, African hunting, varmint rifles, and writing a little. I was on staff at Precision Shooting Magazine for about ten years. "Just a Rockchuck Shooter From Idaho."
When the NOE 247gr boolet mould arrives I think that will take me to an even 100.
And I like fast cars. For now, I have an XK-8 convertible that the Nevada HP informed me this past January would do in excess of 158 miles an hour. Coming back from the SCI Convention in Reno.

Rich

Bret4207
04-29-2011, 06:21 AM
I seem to collect junk- Jeeps, tractors, tools, generators, etc. And live stock, usually sick and dying livestock, so maybe I should call it dead or dyingstock. And bills, man, I got a bill collection you'd have to see to believe.

hoosierlogger
04-29-2011, 06:27 AM
I have a very old stamp collection that was a collection of a friend of my grandmothers. He started collecting them in the early 20's. I havent added anything to it, but I have kept them for about 20 years now. I have a collection of silver coins. Got about a shoe box full Almost all of them were taken from circulation. I also have started hoarding Honda 3 wheelers. I have 5 so far. Going to thin the herd down to 2 200X's

Calamity Jake
04-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Wrinkles :lol::lol::lol:

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-29-2011, 08:27 AM
I collected coffee mugs from different states I traveled to, I got all fifty, plus the 12 from Canada . . . They are still sitting in the boxes we moved them from two moves ago . . . my wife wants me to build a display shelf . . . I kinda lost interest in collecting more from the various countries I have traveled too . . . Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Japan, Korea.

I have lots of memories, just hard to get them going sometimes!

blackthorn
04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Coleman white-gas or kerosene lamps/lanterns, sharpening stones, bullet moulds, old bullets, guns, lapel lins/badges from labor unions and a few knives.

Bent Ramrod
04-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Too much stuff. Tools (especially hand-powered machines), books, blues and old-timey music, antique furniture and musical instruments. A lot of them have been collecting dust, but now that I'm finally retired maybe I can fix that.

TCFAN
04-29-2011, 10:08 AM
I collect arrowheads,but only the one I find myself in plowed fields.That way I know for sure they are the real thing.......Terry

mtnman31
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't really "collect" either. I try to stay pretty practical and not collect items that I don't have an active use for. I have some other hobbies that do get a fair amount of my free time as well as disposable income. I ride mountain bikes and own a couple different bikes. I have a motorcycle (Yamaha R-1) that I've tracked a few times and ride in the canyons. I also have a couple cars that get a fair amount of my attention - a 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T and a Lotus Exige. Pets get a lot of my time too. All in all, shooting is my biggest hobby and gets the largest deal of my spare time and money.

gnoahhh
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Interesting mix so far!

Rich, please tell me that XK-8 will do better than 158! Heck the old '69 4.2L E-Type I had would do 147! (She felt like she had a little more in her, but I chickened out!)

Mal Paso
04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Tools: From a Caterpillar Track Loader on down. And it Is a collection because the Need for a tool Instantly diminishes once you own it. Like the $250. US made, 2 inch pipe tap I bought to fix Chinese Threads when you couldn't get US fittings anymore. Even though Chinese Threads are better now, I will never sell it, I hold it as a threat against future bad pipe threads. Part of an Army of Tools for jobs I hope to never have to do again.:bigsmyl2:

azcruiser
04-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Started with Coins and Stamps. Then firearms reloading equipment more than I'll ever use .Now
Toyota Land Cruisers FJ40-55s and 60s Last don't know how but I seem to have gotten a lot of cats. Plus there are about 500 goldfish and Koi in my in ground swimming pool 18x36 diving pool going through 30 lbs of fish food per month ?

BudRow
04-30-2011, 05:03 AM
I collect Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps, military helmets, bayonets and Big Bang carbide cannons.

buck1
04-30-2011, 06:21 AM
I restore old fishing gear....Buck

59stude
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Studebakerīs, South Bend fishing gear, old american tools, Jeepīs, and old books related to this.

59stude

Von Gruff
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
There is some really cool stuff there. I dont collect enything as such but have a few cartridges that I find interesting.It seems that when I was working ( builder) I would always find a need for another tool, but have since sold on those things that I dont have a practical need for.

Von Gruff.

Tom W.
05-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I have a penchant for small to moderate sized dovetailed wooden boxes. Those with sliding lids and printing always catch my eye...
Plus a few hockey pucks and old drink cans commemorating the '86 Mets....

camaro1st
05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
starwars toys along with guns, cars, and junk. i think i have more than my share of the latter one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Many things, BUT,
the most obnoxious is my collection of junk power lawn equipment.
3 riders, 20+ push mowers, 10 snow-throwers, 10+ weedwhips, 2 tillers.
None of them run...all for parts...and all stored an my Buddy's farm.
Jon

troyboy
05-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Diecast- dragsters, military, nascar, construction and mining equipment( lots of diecast). This is not including the Hot wheels and other cars trucks etc. Knives, militaria, coins and paper money foreign and domestic modern and old. My old Trans Am and of course the Harley. Oh and lets not forget the guns. I do not include the tools because this is considered a necessity not a hobby.