PDA

View Full Version : 41 Magnum Keith Bullets...MOUNTAIN MOLDS....!!!

sargeny1
12-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi All..Yesterday was 41 Magnum Keith Bullets from a Mountain Molds design I did up about 2yrs ago using the program on that website...TRUE KEITH Bullet...3 EQUAL LENGTH DRIVING BANDS....218 grains in Lyman #2 Alloy...Aluminum Mold performs beautifully...
Pete
http://www.hunt101.com/img/457580-big.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=457580&c=500&z=1)

44man
12-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Very nice but I have to accuse you of polishing and waxing those nice boolits.

sargeny1
12-16-2006, 08:36 PM
44Man..NOOOO..they drop from the mold that way....!!!

Doctor Sam
12-16-2006, 10:43 PM
How do they shoot and what is the best load?
Thanks.

Topper
12-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Looks like the mold throws some very nice boolits.
Be sure to let use know how they shoot;)

sargeny1
12-17-2006, 01:28 PM
HI ALl..I size to .410...beeswax/alox lube...20 Grains WW 296..cci 350..Starline Brass....clocks 1475fps out of a 1967 6" S&W M57...shoots 1/2" at 25yds all day long...BAREST TRACE of leading...wipes right out...can EASILY keep 'em ALL on a 8" paper plate at 100yds...good enough for deer hunting..muzzle blast and recoil are FIERCE...but this is a serious hunting load..also use 8grains unique for practice...
Pete

Blacktail 8541
12-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Very nice, I am looking to get another mould form Dan when he is back up and running.

Old Ironsights
12-18-2006, 10:29 AM
It's really too bad their program, which is otherwise very nice, won't allow you to make a nose-pour bullet....

GLynn41
12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Overall I have had better luck with the keith type than the LWN or WFN--good lookin bullet

PatMarlin
12-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Who's Keith.. :confused:

Uncle Grinch
12-19-2006, 10:57 PM
PatMarlin.... Surely you jest....

I hope so, because Elemer Keith would turn over in his grave if he thought any serious pistolero did not recognize his name.

PatMarlin
12-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh that Keith. That Catshooter mold guy.. :mrgreen:

cherok9878
12-19-2006, 11:37 PM
As I understand it, Elmer Keith was quite a character, loved S & W Revolves, anyone elses Burbon and would try to pay for goods and services with his autograph. I have read that he could hit targets/ objects as far away as 400 yds with his S&W 44 mag, would have enjoyed seeing that.

Dale53
12-20-2006, 01:44 AM
It fairly blows my mind that ANYONE doesn't know of Elmer Keith. That's what old age does to you. It is hard for someone my age to realize that a lot of the really BIG people of years gone by are so soon forgotten...

Elmer Keith popularized SERIOUS loads in revolvers many years ago. His books are still REALLY worth reading. His first, Sixgun Cartridges and Loads (written in 1936), got me started and on my way. He is the single one person who captivated my interest in serious revolver use sixty years ago. My father encouraged my interest and I was casting bullets on the kitchen stove in my early teens. My good mother, Bless her memory, never once complained when I got her kitchen stove (gas fired) splattered with lead. My grandparents, who lived on a one-hundred-fifty acre farm, probably thought I was somewhat strange with my obsession with firearms, but both of them, in their own way, encouraged it. I even learned to cast bullets on my grand mother's wood burning range. We used corn cobs for fuel and I learned to regulate the heat by the number of cobs I burned at a time. My grandfather paid me 10 cents a rat for any rats I shot around the corn cribs and my grand mother, who raised free ranging chickens, would tell me to harvest "that old white rooster. Be sure and shoot him in the head as I don't want any meat damaged." The roosters were wild and you couldn't get close enough to them to grab them. Shooting them was the only practical way to get them.

You fellers that are not "up to speed" on Elmer should read his last book, "Hell, I was THERE!". It tells a whole lot about Elmer and why he was what he was, a bigger than life genuine article of a MAN. For the shooter in you, get his book "Sixguns". It is still worthwhile, and then some.

Dale53

Bullshop
12-20-2006, 02:30 AM
I got to meet Elmer many years ago at the Sportsman Supply in Missoula Mt. Quite a caricter with his tall hat and short cigar.
I used to work for Erv Malnorich. Erv and Elmer were kinda partners going way way back when they were packers together.
Erv started an outfitting business in what is now the Bitterroot Sellway wildnerness. In the 50's he would guarante a six point bull for your money. He took in a cat and mad a landing strip and had a hydro plant built on the sellway river. His customers were the wealthy of the world.
After the wilderness act the FS paid him .50 per acre and burned down everything. Thats when he came out and started the guide school in Hamilton.
Erv was a tough old world cowboy that just loved to go drinking on sat night and get in a good fight. Never a hard feeling and all you had to do is say i had enough you won and it was over and drinks all arround.
A big intimidating man that had no use for sissies. Once at the school he had a guide student that just couldnt get a stubern mule saddled up. Erv grabbed the mule by the head and threw him to the ground and cynched up the saddle and said there thats how its done.
He once showed me a tool room non cerial numberd 44 mag on an N frame. It had no S&W logo or any marks of any kind just smooth . He said it was one of two and Elmer had the other. He said that he did alot of the shooting that Elmer wrote about. He only packed the 44 for guiding and also used it to take winter meat after the clients were done. He shot lots of elk and deer and told Elmer how it worked and Elmer wrote about it.
Now Elmer did his own shooting too but much of what was written up about taking game was done by Erv.
Sure would like to have that old N frame. Erv said it would never leave him while he was alive.
He was always a hard man to work for but I was always glad to have had the chance.
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
12-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Elmer and Erv are propbably better off where they are, cause if they were with us now, the would be discusted with people and our government these days.

When you realize the average young adult today doesn't even know history as recent as WW2, how is someone like Elmer Keith going to be remembered or studied?

Which brings up another question in my mind...

Most of us who are interested in history, firearm history, boolit history are how old? And how many young folks are coming up following our footsteps?

If I had kids of my own, they would know who Elmer was, and I bet Dan's kids know.

Strange times we live in... :roll:

PatMarlin
12-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Dale- you should know by now not to take me to serious.. :mrgreen:

LAH
12-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Nice bullets indeed.........Creeker

j. clark
12-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Elmer Keith was the most influential gun writer of the last century in my opinion.