PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Outlaw Grips?

Philbert
04-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Has anyone had experience with Outlaw Grips? I am looking at having him do a pair of grips and his deluxe action job on a new Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top .44. I would appreciate any feedback regarding workmanship, turn around time, etc.

Phil

Philbert
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Well this isn't looking like a good sign.....

Phil

August
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Well, if you're talking about Joe Perkins, I can tell you there is no better craftsman anywhere.

He is a perfectionist and treats each gun as a unique project. No production grips, no one-size-fits-all grips, no half assed shortcuts to achieving a perfect fit of grip to frame. The only grips he has in his shop are the ones he uses for examples at shows. He starts each pair from a chunk of wood based on the demands of the shooter and the gun at hand. In other words, you cannot go to his shop and purchase a set of ready-made grips from him. He has none to offer.

He is backed up because he can do things with wood and ivory that no one else seems to be able to achieve. But, waiting for his work is more than offset by the quality of what you get. Never the less, he usually turns things around in less than a month, sometimes faster. He's slammed right now because of Winter Range.

I am somewhat more ambivalent about his action work. However, the pair of vaqueros he did for me are smoother and better balanced than the pair of Jim Finch Vaqueros I have.

What Joe does with vaqueros that is really nice is his serration work on front sights.

I have a pair of USFA SAs in his shop now for a set of one piece grips in fancy walnut. This combination is killer and no one can do it like Joe does. I wish it were possible to do one piece grips on Vaqueros, but Roooooger has so much clutter in the grip frame that it cannot be done. Joe can do a blind escutcheon on a Roooooger grip that makes at least half the gun look like it has one piece grips.

If you want perfect, Joe is your huckleberry.

Philbert
05-02-2011, 07:30 AM
August,
Thank you for the response. Yes, Joe Perkins. This is a new gun so I plan to shoot it to see what it really needs then have Joe do a set of grips, action job, cut screw heads in the pins (frivolous but looks neat) and whatever else it "needs".
Phil