PDA

View Full Version : success...

Forester
12-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I had a little bit of time (read no one was home) one afternon a couple days ago to try some of the suggestions I got here to fix poor bullet fill out and Had a very successfull afternoon. I cast I think about 2000 from a Lee 90310 and best of all once I got the thing good and hot it dropped perfect bullets all afternoon.

I cleaned the heck out of the mould with acetone and smoked it with a butane lighter to begin with. I ran the melt between 850-900 and casted as fast as I could work, adding the sprue back to the pot to keep the temp from getting too high. They are all frosted over but that didnt seem to make any difference to my first attempts which shot great on the range. My first imperfect bullets shot a 1.75" group at 15 yards so im expectiong these boolits(Im proud of them now) to do even better.

What a blast, I can't help but think about the fact that my reloads just went up in accuracy and the price dropped from $7.25/100 to about $2.80/100! My entire outlay for equipment will pay for itself in about 7-8 thousand bullets or about 6 months shooting for me.

One more question, do most of you clean and re-smoke a mould before the next casting session? Or can I use it as long as it stays away from oils and other contaminants and just re-smoke it now and then? Should I be doing anything in particular to an aluminum mould between uses to protect it? Not like its going to rust...

Bass Ackward
12-16-2006, 10:04 AM
One more question, do most of you clean and re-smoke a mould before the next casting session? Or can I use it as long as it stays away from oils and other contaminants and just re-smoke it now and then? Should I be doing anything in particular to an aluminum mould between uses to protect it? Not like its going to rust...

Forester,

After a mold breaks in, it will take a lot of the fussiness out of molding with it and make some of the extras unnecesary.

But I do clean it up with a degreaser and Q-tips before each molding scession as my molds sit all year. I pretty much mold only in the winter.

No_1
12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
You say that now. Once you are totally hooked like the rest of us you will begin getting more and more stuff.

I figure if I am lucky I might break even after about 7-8 gazillion bullets....

Robert

My entire outlay for equipment will pay for itself in about 7-8 thousand bullets or about 6 months shooting for me.

Pilgrim
12-16-2006, 09:06 PM
I figure the only one (s) who will break even are those that wind up with my casting stuff, whether by free (inherited) or garage sale. Just a reality of CB life I think. You always seem to need "something" for a bunch of cartridges/calibers, or you shoot so doggone much you don't have time to do the casting/sizing/etc. and loading. Oh well, a burden I can handle in the hope my kids or g-kids decide to take up the hobby. Pilgrim

boogerred
12-16-2006, 10:36 PM
you poor sucker.you really stepped in it now. i started out intending to cast one bullet for my 45acp because it eats alot. i now cast 5 different calibers and have 17 moulds. it will grow on you. i THINK i have everything i need now so i should start saving money pretty soon.