PDA

View Full Version : Tin Foil

ron brooks
12-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Is the foil on Wild Turkey bottles tin? It seems heavier than aluminum and I realy doubt it is lead.

To mealt it would you just drop it into a lead pot?

Thanks,

Ron

Bent Ramrod
12-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Ron,

I'd fire up the lead pot, crumple the foil into a dipper, set the dipper in the molten lead and see if the contents melt. Tin should melt under these conditions; if it does, then I would add it to the alloy.

I would guess it's a heavy aluminum foil rather than tin. If it is tin, maybe I ought to change brands.

OLPDon
12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
As far as I know any bev. with seal ie foil is tin, lead not permited with anything consumable. Wine makers are moving toward plastice with a bit of tin on top of seal keeping cost down. But keep buying the Wild Turkey, befriend a bartender and get the seals from others Adult Bev. happy hunting and cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

shooter575
12-15-2006, 11:01 PM
A old scraper guy that I buy metal from sometimes showed me somthing .Had some 8' long tin pieces in cross section about as thick as a wheel weight.Hold it up to your ear and bend it.It sounds like rice crispies.Snap crackle pop.None of the lead/tin aloys I have seen will do this.I havent a clue if this will work on your thin pieces.Try Bent ramrods method.If it is AL. it will never melt in molten lead.

ron brooks
12-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Bent Ramrod,

Sounds like a plan. I'll try it next time I fire up the pot.

OLPDon,

Just think, if it is tin, we may have an offical drink along with Makers Mark. :)

Shooter575,

It doesn't "creak". It may be too thin though.

I'll be3 sure and post to this thread if it is tin.

Thanks,

Ron

OLPDon
12-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Ron:
Did a search (got too much time to waste) on wine capsules the same would go for all our adult bev. first link is caping Co. and it refers to FDA requirements for capsules (thats the tin foil)
Second link is to FDA regs. scroll down to #24 (bingo) now we need someone to decifer.
Don

http://www.practicalwinery.com/JulAug05/julaug05p33.htm
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/opa-fcn.html

Bent Ramrod
12-17-2006, 12:57 PM
OLP Don,

I didn't read the first one clear through, but it appears that it's an economic/aesthetic decision on the part of the winery whether to include a barrier inside the aluminum screw cap that is a disk of tin/saran or one of saran only. The oxygen permeability of the former is a little less than that of the latter, but the extra cost of the barrier disc and the extra work involved in putting it in right side down would have to be balanced by the estimate of how long the wine might be stored before drinking and whether the oxidation by a slightly higher level of oxygen couldn't be retarded just as cheaply by a few more parts-per-million of sulfite preservative. Even the most fastidious connoisseur might not be able to taste any difference, unless of course somebody told him first. Also, the tin barrier might only have to be a few atoms thick to do its job. I guess it would be worth tearing apart a few screw caps and seeing what is inside, but I would think it would take a lot of them to get an ounce of tin together. The one brand that definitely said they use that barrier disk I've never seen around here.

The other reference sounds like the requirements for Babbit bearing material for food-processing machinery. I guess if somebody lived next to Kellogg's or Jimmy Dean Sausage, it might be worth while to see where they throw their worn-out machine parts. If they didn't recycle the metal, that would be a mother lode, for sure.

OLPDon
12-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Ron:
Yep the possibilties to turn things to something useful like Cast Boolits is endless. I suspect our Caster's have yet to tap the vast drilling field's of the material for the Casting Kingdom. We have to drill fast before the tree huggers band our drilling also.

Who do you think on this board will be the first to tap into this.
My guess will be our Machist Buckshot.

What say you / others feel free to cast your Vote. Remember vote early vote often.

Don.

ron brooks
12-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Bent Ramroad,

The tine is on the outside of Wild Turkey bottles, over the cap. The bottles don't have a screw on cap, but a cork, so while I'm not positive it's tin, I think it is.

Ron

OLPDon
12-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Ron:
The same FDA standar is required for Caps (seals) with reguard to lead content.
Don

The wine cap link was a reference to how I got the FDA standard

MarkK
12-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Being newly employed in the wine industry I've run across a lot of heavy aluminum foil as well as plastic seals on the cheaper wines. Tin seems to be reserved for the $15+ bottles and or boutique wines. I guess I'll be looking into scrap tin seals...