PDA

View Full Version : Air pistol through USPS????

abunaitoo
04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Anyone know the rules about sending an air pistol through the US mail????
I have a Walthers CP88 I want to sell here, but I don't know if it can be mailed from me in Hawaii.

SciFiJim
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Postal definition of a firearm. Emphasis added is mine.
The quote is from the USPS Domestic Mail Manual available online.

12.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms
12.1.1 Definitions

The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.

b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.

Who can mail a pistol

12.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 12.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 12.1.3c. through 12.1.3e.

12.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

Looks like it would have to be shipped by an FFL.

waksupi
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Call BATF and ask. I bought one, that came directly to me USPS a few years ago.

troy_mclure
04-26-2011, 12:24 AM
most air gun stores ship them usps.

coaldust
04-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Haven't had any problems with my local Post Office and I have shipped over 10 air rifles/pistols and Post Master said was Ok as long there was NO air or co2 pressure in the air guns. I usually ship Priorty Mail with tracking info. The only thing you have to watch out for is if there is any state or local laws forbiding the delivery. You can go to Pyramydairguns site and they list no ship states and citys. Hope this helps

Wayne Smith
04-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Yeah, you are better off with USPS, they are less restrictive.

MtGun44
04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
"with enough force to be used as a weapon" - - - - - in KS an air pistol and a hammer
are treated the same. I bought a BP revolver "through the mail" a few years back, but I
forget whether it was actually USPS or UPS or FedEx Ground.

Bill

abunaitoo
05-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Coaldust,
Where on the Pyramyd air guns site do they list the "no ship states"????
I can't seem to fins it.

starmac
05-21-2013, 07:18 PM
It is sad that we even need to ask this question, living in a free country the way we do. lol

otter5555
05-21-2013, 09:34 PM
i ship air powered and black powder firearms through the usps at least weekly. have done so for nearly 30 years. zero problems.

abunaitoo
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I remember when we could order ammo and firearms through the mail.
Even used to order ammo and firearms from Sears and JC Pennys.
What happened to this country????