PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning lead out'a bores

yodar
12-15-2006, 06:33 PM
You have until march to get to surplusrifles.com and google your heart out on all their topics (or buy their Big CD and Big CD 2(which HAS all the topics)

one of them is ; HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN ELECTROLYTIC BORE CLEANER (ala Outers)

It uses ammonium acetate as the electrolyte for lead. It uses Copper acetate for copper, but their article says the ammonia/vinegar/water mixture that becomes ammonium acetate works just as well.

Built the device, now trying to get a good plug to seal the bbl at muzzle to keep electrolyte IN THERE where it belongs for 1 hour

yodar

texas tenring
12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
You have until march to get to surplusrifles.com and google your heart out on all their topics (or buy their Big CD and Big CD 2(which HAS all the topics)

one of them is ; HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN ELECTROLYTIC BORE CLEANER (ala Outers)

It uses ammonium acetate as the electrolyte for lead. It uses Copper acetate for copper, but their article says the ammonia/vinegar/water mixture that becomes ammonium acetate works just as well.

Built the device, now trying to get a good plug to seal the bbl at muzzle to keep electrolyte IN THERE where it belongs for 1 hour

yodar

I plug the chamber end when using my homemade electric cleaner. I use a wooden dowel just larger than bore dia. and put a piece of chemical resistant glove(got mine at Habor Freight)over it and shove up the chamber to make a complete seal. I also use the same rubber material at the muzzel, just cut a small slit in it and press over end of barrel and wrap wrags around the barrel to catch everthing that bubbles over and trust me it will bubble over. I have to add more solution periodicaly to keep it full. Works very good for me.

LIMPINGJ
12-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I made 1 to clean out a couple Turks. I removed the the wood and just stood the barreled action in a small plastic pail so I did not try to plug muzzel. Just check often and add a little solution to top off between rod cleaning cycles. It is nice to find a use for some of these old cell ph. chargers that seem to collect. This took several days of running the cleaner when I got home from work till bed time each evening till I was able to get a clean rod to show that the bore was clean.
Jim

kywoodwrkr
12-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Whatever you do, visit the website and give consideration to ordering the two CDs!
Best money I've spent in many a day.
They have put about 5 years worth of information(GOOD information) on the two CDs.
Visit and buy.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr