PDA

View Full Version : Something for all of you

44man
04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Viet Nam1966

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam , other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to
sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.
https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html?ui=2&ik=191603e8da&view=att&th=12f7b1a06c271930&attid=0.2&disp=emb&zw
Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.. Ann Margret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''
https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html?ui=2&ik=191603e8da&view=att&th=12f7b1a06c271930&attid=0.3&disp=emb&zw
With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears.. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,'' he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.
I also want to add my thanks and appreciation to all that served.

Jim
04-25-2011, 05:42 PM
.....I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces.

Been doin' that for 20 or more years.

Lively Boy
04-25-2011, 07:46 PM
A vet is a vet no matter when and where they served for our country. THANK YOU ALL!

Bad Water Bill
04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Up until a few years ago I never mentioned that I had been in service as that is what most guys my age did, no big deal. I would jokingly tell my kids "yes i am hard of hearing BUT you do not have to speak Russian, so that is a cheap price to pay."

Now people are beginning to realize some folks have been stepping up and paying a price (mine is small compared to MANY others) for many years so they could be safe. I am glad to see that finally happening especially for the younger folks. They deserve a lot of respect and THANK YOUs. Don't forget to shake their hand as they deserve and appreciate it.

Yes my cap reads PROUD TO HAVE SERVED IN THE GREATEST NAVY IN HISTORY. Sure wish I could find its mate as it is beginning to look as old as me.:smile:

44fanatic
04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Where I live War Veterans are a "dime a dozen" and you dont see many of them getting recognized by the public, which is a shame. A few years ago (2004), it was a big "hoorah" when they came home, not now.

When I see them on the street, at Wallyworld or wherever, its nice to see there day light up when you shake their hand and welcome them back home and offer them a prayer. I always give a silent prayer that the scars you dont see will be healed.

BTW...
I live about 2 miles from the main gate at Fort Campbell...101st Airborne Division, Screaming Eagles.

Rocky Raab
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
That Ann Margaret story is years old, of course. It may even be urban myth, but it is a fact that most of the celebrities who went on USO shows - and ALL who went on Bob Hope tours - were devoted to the troops. The one shining example today is David Feherty, Irish golf commentator who so admires our troops that he recently became a US citizen.

My true story:

I got orders for an early return to the US due to the wind-down at the end of '71. I left my tiny isolated camp only to learn years later that Martha Raye showed up there two weeks later. Martha dearly loved her Special Forces heroes, and traveled around Vietnam fearlessly in a gun truck.

The irony for me is that my mother met Martha Raye during WWII while my mother worked with such shows as a sergeant. She always held very high opinions of Raye, and I would have been deeply honored to meet Raye and tell her so.