PDA

View Full Version : Have You Shot A Game Animal With A RD TLC Boolit?

Ranch Dog
12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
If so I would like to get a photo of it. I took the administrator up on his offer of server space and would like to have your photo to include with information about these group buy boolit molds. In return, I will provide a link and instructions so you can post that picture on forums such as this one.

The molds are the Lee special order TLC432-285-RF, TLC460-350-RF and TLC460-425-RF. I would like to start presenting a case for Lee to catalog these molds for the Marlin Big Bore rifles. Wouldn't it be nice, when you need a replacement mold, just to go to MidwayUSA or any other retailer and simply buy the mold instead of hassling and waiting for a group buy? Please understand that this isn't about "Ranch Dog" either. As special orders, these are Lee's designs. I just want to be able to buy a mold when I need it and never have to honcho a buy to get one.

Please email the pictures to: RanchDogMolds@yahoo.com

The web site is: http://www.gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/
The various links will take you back to the pages on my server but I will get that changed and the latest information about the designs, game animals, etc. posted.

78CJ
12-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey Michael, it is funny that you just posted this today. I was logging on to put a reply on the casters log thread for the 350 that my buddy shot one with his Marlin 1895CB using the 460-350 last friday night.

The shot was not textbook, but fatal as the deer was quartered toward us at 100 yards and he hit it just behind the blade on the near side and exited the last rib on the off side. No blood to speak of but we had enough snow to follow her the 50-60 yards she went. Unfortunately we have no pics but we did videotape the whole thing, shot and all. It was taped in digital Hi-8 format, so if anyone here knows how to cut a single frame I may be able to get a pic.

The load was 50 grains of H-335 and the lead was air cooled wheel weights.

Ryan

Bigscot
12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Don't have anything exciting. Over Thanksgiving I shot a squirrel with the .432 - 285 RD in a .44 mag Win 94 . Was not able to recover the boolit to check expansion as it did achieve full penetration. The squirrel was dead before it hit the ground. Suprisingly, it was not damged too bad and was consumed. No pics though.

Bigscot

Ranch Dog
12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys...

Good deal Ryan and I will take a picture if you can figure out the tech stuff. I'm glad the squirrel ended up in the pot Bigscot. I've killed a bunch of little critters with that bullet but never a squirrel. The boolit has done pretty good, everything up through a moose this year!

357maximum
12-11-2006, 10:35 PM
what about the 30 cal version,,,as long as you are petitioning...might just as well go for the full series....they all look great to me...I would like to have one of all...

I too doubt they would keep the RD, but that would be waaay cool huh...

Michael

Johnch
12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
3 deer fell to it cast out of pure lead , in 2 freinds front stuffers

I will see if they took any PICs

Johnch

jeff223
12-12-2006, 12:39 AM
no kills from a RANCH DOG boolit for me this year.everything i killed were bow kills.

i will say this about the 44 RANCH DOG boolit.it is "THE" boolit for the 44 caliber guns.im sure you remember i ran the RANCH DOG group buy along with the FAT 44 group buy at the same time so i have both boolits to work with.i used my 445 supermag Contender,a custom SSK barreled 444 Encore and also a 444 Marlin lever gun.your boolit design shoots the best by a long shot out of the two.my 445 will shoot your boolit in nice round groups out at 100yds that measure under 2.5 inchs,the FAT 44 shoots to about 5 or 6 inches at best.the 444 Encore shoots your boolit to just over an inch and the FAT 44 to about 3 to 4 inches and the Marlin shoots your boolit to about two inches it didnt like the FAT 44 at all.

your boolit is so easy to work with too.i size .001 over bore with a Buckshot push through sizing die,then three coats of tumble lube (Lee alox) and no leading at all in any gun above.the guy with the 444 Marlin is shooting those boolits out at max speed with no leading.the only way he could get away from leading with the FAT 44 boolit was to lube with LBT blue.

i am feeding three guns with my one and only mold.im making out good on this deal because the other two guys are suppling the wheel weight lead and im casting for half.they love your boolits and im sure they woulld buy a mold of their own if they could.i hope Lee will add this mold to their lineup.i will check with the other two guys when i can if they have any kill pictures.if so i will post them for sure

it would be nice to be able to get a special mold without going though all the BS of honchoing a deal.ive had my fill of it and am done with it

Ranch Dog
12-14-2006, 09:30 AM
what about the 30 cal version,,,as long as you are petitioning...might just as well go for the full series....they all look great to me...I would like to have one of all...

Michael

Michael...

I've got the TLC311 sitting here staring me in the face and I just keep telling it to wait until I get a hog kill with the TLC379 and TLC359. I would like to do some more work with the TLC359 in my 356 Win too. When I start on the TLC311 it will be in my 336A which is chambered in 30-30 AI. I wish I could convince Marlin into sending me one of those new rifles in 308ME to cycle it through :-D

I'd like to sell the remain four TLC460-425-RFB molds too. That is my mold development $$$ sitting there. Next on the list is a TLC323-165-RFB (32 WS), and a TLC224-40-RFB (218 Bee) but I'm not sure which will be first, and finally a TL25X-50-RF (still debating the actual diameter for my little 25 Auto).

Ranch Dog
12-14-2006, 09:30 AM

Michael

Michael...

I've got the TLC311 sitting here staring me in the face and I just keep telling it to wait until I get a hog kill with the TLC379 and TLC359. I would like to do some more work with the TLC359 in my 356 Win too. When I start on the TLC311 it will be in my 336A which is chambered in 30-30 AI. I wish I could convince Marlin into sending me one of those new rifles in 308ME to cycle it through :-D

I'd like to sell the remain four TLC460-425-RFB molds too. That is my mold development $$$ sitting there. Next on the list is a TLC323-165-RFB (32 WS), and a TLC224-40-RFB (218 Bee) but I'm not sure which will be first, and finally a TL25X-50-RF (still debating the actual diameter for my little 25 Auto).

Bodydoc447
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
RD,

I'd sure like to see that TLC224-40 design get made. It might be just the ticket for my Hornet.

Doc

Ken O
12-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I took a doe Nov 15, opening day in Michigan with the TLC460-350-RF in a Marlin '95G. I didnt take any pics, It dropped right in its tracks with a shot that went though the top of the heart.

Ranch Dog
12-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Glad to hear of your success Ken!

Doc... I will probably lean towards this boolit mold design first in the next few weeks as I need it for coyote hunting in the spring. Unfortunately, I will not do a group buy with this mold as I'm still working on it.

357maximum
12-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Michael...

I would like to help you out on the TLC460-425-RFB molds, but I do not see me ever needing a 45/70 or a 450 marlin, IMHO whatever they can do I can do with the triple four. (do not get upset fellas this is just MY opinion). Not much here in Michigan that is gonna eat me.

Now the 35/30/224 I would love to see in the group buy section someday, and maybe the lil 25 cal..I have thought about a contender carbine in a small 25 cal 357/357 max based wildcat for playing/squirrels/plinking so that might interest me too at some point down the road,but right now my projects and ideas far outweigh my wallet. I am sure I am the only one here with THAT problem....OTT simply refuses to send me barrels for free...

Michael

PatMarlin
12-17-2006, 02:22 PM

Place them over at the swap section Michael... :drinks:

405 WCF
12-23-2006, 03:34 AM
Good morning!
RD, do you have the picts from all the moose my father and I took with the RD .432 TLC this fall?
If not, I can e-mail them to you.

From one thing to another!
MERRY CHRISTMAS and a happy new year to all of you cast boolit shooters!!!!!

Ranch Dog
12-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Good morning!
RD, do you have the picts from all the moose my father and I took with the RD .432 TLC this fall?
If not, I can e-mail them to you.

From one thing to another!
MERRY CHRISTMAS and a happy new year to all of you cast boolit shooters!!!!!

I've got some pictures but you shot so many of these critters I'm not sure which one was killed with the TLC432. Could you send me that picture?

405 WCF
12-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Pictures sent.
The "RD cow", the small lonesome calf, and my fathers calf.
No bullet recovered.
The cow and my fathers calf was shot in the neck.