PDA

View Full Version : red powder in pot

soldierbilly1
04-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I did a little casting today in my garage, just a small pot's worth to break in my new Lyman mold. In the middle of castin', much red powder kept rising to the surface.
what the heck! I have seen mention in other posts there are likely tin salts. I tried 'pushing' them back in, it did help. I did notice the fill out worsened as the separating salts kept coming back. I fluxed a little more, but they persisted.
I am melting some old hard cast 38 spl bullets that I really don't need.
I assume I do not want to lose these salts ... can anything be done or just live with this? anything to be concerned about? thanks in advance for any help

billy boy

swheeler
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know about tin salts, but rust/iron oxide is red, and I would want it removed from my alloy.

stubshaft
04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Flux the alloy and get rid of the red powder. It is not a usable part of the alloy.

nighthunter
04-24-2011, 11:19 PM
I've had the same condition in my pot. Seems to only happen when I have used Marvalux Flux in my pot. I very seldom use Marvalux in my pot but once in awhile if there is some stubborn alloy in the pot it is one of the easiest ways to deal with it. I have found that most problems with alloy can be traced to dirt in the same. Its best to get as much dirt out of the alloy when its in the smelting pot before it is made into ingots but ocassionally some slips through.

Nighthunter