PDA

View Full Version : CCI Magnum Musket Cap discontinued? Musket cap to use?

Naphtali
04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I just picked up a Shiloh 1863 carbine. When I went on line to buy CCI Magnum Musket Caps, I found none. Apparently, they are discontinued. What musket cap is closest in amount of priming compound used and temperature during detonation?

NickSS
04-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I have had good luck with both RWS and CCI musket caps in several sharps rifles I own. I never bought any of the magnum caps.

Naphtali
04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
I have had good luck with both RWS and CCI musket caps in several sharps rifles I own. I never bought any of the magnum caps.

As I read CCI's web, musket caps available are for re-enactors - that is, twitchy for hunting.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
The CCI mag caps were hotter than the RWS/Dynamit Nobel. BUT, why a magnum? I used RWS in my Garret '63 for years without a problem. Shilo will tell you how to keep the flash channel in the block clean if you ask.

As a test , take the block our, hold in your hand, put a musket cap on the nipple, set it off with a hammer, with the block pointing away in a dark garage. IF the channel is open an RWS will give you 8 inches of flame shaped like a football out of the front of the breechblock. This will burn to ignite a cut paper cartridge, or through a tissue covering a cartridge opening.

The old timers believed the weakest cap that reliably ignited the charge was best for accuracy.

What twitchy is not CCI musket caps, but rather re-enactor gun maintenance. For a great many of them it is POOR.

BvT

waksupi
04-26-2011, 03:43 PM
What twitchy is not CCI musket caps, but rather re-enactor gun maintenance. For a great many of them it is POOR.

BvT

How true. I see the same people show up every year, with firearms that will not fire for them, mostly percussion shooters. We have solved a little of that. At many shoots, three hammer falls with a flinter is a miss. This is usually from an inexperienced flint shooter, or someone too cheap to change the flint when necessary. We have implemented the three hammer fall rule on cap locks. This is causing some of them to maintain their guns a bit better, and on many of them, cause them to actually turn down the nipple so the cap fits properly.

DIRT Farmer
04-26-2011, 05:20 PM
In most of the clay target games at Friendship a hammer fall is a scored target. I was never a really good shot but can get my flinters to shoot. This has put a few medals on the wall. If I get more than one unexplained misfire in 500, about a weeks shooting for me in compation, I start looking for problems.
Most of the target shooters use standard #11 caps, The jury is still out on weather I will buy a platium lined #11 nipple for the Volenteer rifle or stay with the musket cap nipple that already has been lined.
The only gun that I keep mag #11s for is the over/under Baretta due to the long flash hole on the bottom barrel.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Careful in Kaintuck at Salt River . It's 2 hammer falls and lotsa jaw music for any and all excuses.

BvT

NickSS
05-06-2011, 05:08 AM
most of the shoots I go to it's two hammer falls and then a miss. Apparently a lot of reenactor groups are not a strict as the one I belonged to for awhile. You had to clean your gun after each battle and the Sargent would inspect it before the next battle to make sure it was clean.