PDA

View Full Version : Glad they were hens ............

Jack Stanley
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I was out walking this evening with my six power Kern binoculars and the Browning model fifty-three . Not hunting , just walking and seeing what's out there and if I got charged by a raging woodchuck weeeellllllll .......... that'd be different . Saw a red-tail hawk and some kind of heron flying on the way to the back field . I had just got to the new woodland path I had made that borders the field but is a few yards into the woods .

I happened to look over into the field and saw a couple turkeys headed my way . If they continued their course one was going to go into the woods about forty yards away and the other would run me over where I was . I watched them shuckin' an jivin' ( or clucking if you prefer ) about a hundred yards using the binoculars . About thirty yards out the one on course to me stopped and tried to make out what was ahead . Must have been tough trying to look through the brush and into the sun at the same time and you know I felt bad for it :mrgreen:

It did change course but didn't sound alarm or even run and it went into the woods about thirty-five yards from where I was . Whith the angle of the sun on it it would have made a nice picture because it's colors showed up so well .

You know my neighbor spends all that time and money getting special stuff to go hunt them and there I was with blue jeans , Ralph Lauren shirt and fancy lil' chuck rifle and had them walk up on me :wink:Yes , I know that ain't normal , of course the turkey could have full well known I wasn't gonna dump it with a rifle and no hunting tag :grin:

Jack

runfiverun
04-23-2011, 11:17 PM
had to be the shirt...

Jack Stanley
04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
had to be the shirt...

:mrgreen:he he he he :)Another guy told me I coulda shot it in self defense . I dunno the officer woulda bought that story unless I had spur marks on me .

Jack

richhodg66
04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't turkey hunt, but the past two years, my son and I have set up deer hunting and had a whole flock almost over run our position. Once were were in apop up blind, but this last year, we were not and were wearing the required blaze orange. I've always heard how smart and wary they are, but you sure wouldn't have known it then. One of those days, we almost stepped on a big tom while were were walking in, flushed him like a quail.

I'm not real sure how Kansas gets away with charging so much for a turkey tag, I see more of them every year, almost seems like their becoming over populated.

Doc Highwall
04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I remember years ago in Chelsea Vermont hunting for deer and seeing turkeys before they was a turkey season so close they were blurry in the scope even on 2-1/2 power. I also remember seeing them come out into a farmers field about 400 yards away in one big dark mass of well over 100 of them and it reminded me of ants coming out of a crack in the sidewalk.

northmn
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
The National Turkey Federation (I think thats what they are called) has been realeasing turkeys in my area. No huntable population, but we see some now and then. When I was pheasant hunting further south my bird dogs ran into a flock. They really did a second take on seeing a bird that large. My daughter had a Tom flush right in front of her and I had a hen take off. Would ahve been wingshooting more than the usual picture of a turkey hunt.

DP