PDA

View Full Version : New caster with ?????

cigg52
12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi to all-- just cast my first bullets. Is it normal for the ladle to have coat of lead on at all times when casting ? This is my first cast. I heated the 30-1 lead to tin to 800 degrees, also the base of the bullets had swirls from the center to the edge where the spure cut the base. Thanks

mooman76
12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Although it is not normal for the ladle to have a coat of lead on it, it doesn't hurt anything either. As the ladel gets hotter it won't stick. The swirls you got indicates that your mould or lead wasn't hot enough. If your lead was in fact 800 degrees then your mould hadn't got up to temp yet. The swirles are only minor things and as you practice you will get better. They still make good plinkers or you can remelt them if desired. That's the good thing about lead, if you mess up you wasted nothing but your time.

cigg52
12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the fast reply Moonman, I heated the mold on a hot plate for about 10-15 mins before I started to cast. This is a new RCBS Ladle and a new Lee 20lb ladle pot, RCBS thermeter. I heated the melt to 800 degrees. I don't know if this makes a diffirence, but I had scrap lead sheets from x-ray walls and what I think was tin. the tin was in hex bars about 10-12" long. t5he bullets I cast where very shiny and most filled the mould out.

cigg52
12-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh the tin lead ratio was about 30-1

montana_charlie
12-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the fast reply Moonman, I heated the mold on a hot plate for about 10-15 mins before I started to cast.
That is a reasonable way to preheat the mould, but you never know it's hot enough until bullets come out looking good. Depending on your mould (and the heat in everything) that might take a few bullets...or ten or twelve. Just cast fairly fast until they start looking good, while assuming you are going to re-melt those first ones.

This is a new RCBS Ladle and a new Lee 20lb ladle pot, RCBS thermeter. I heated the melt to 800 degrees.
If you turn the ladle upside down and tap the handle on the edge of the pot, that lead layer should fall off. If it doesn't, it isn't hot enough, yet.
I spray my ladle with graphite (when it's cold) so that the tapping really knocks off everything...without having to beat it to death.

I had scrap lead sheets from x-ray walls and what I think was tin.
The bullets I cast where very shiny and most filled the mould out.
Only you can know if the tin came from a reliable source, but your description sounds like it's OK.

As for the swirls on the bases...be sure the bottom of your sprue plate has no oil on it.
CM

cigg52
12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
How long do I wait to cut the spure after I fill the mould ?

SharpsShooter
12-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I heated the mold on a hot plate for about 10-15 mins before I started to cast.

The hotplate is not a bad method to preheat a mould. Many simply float the mould on top of the alloy to bring the mould up to temp. The coating on your ladle is not a big deal at all unless it impairs the flow rate of the spout. If it constricts the flow of alloy, you may not see good fill out or will see large weight variation due to inconsistant alloy pressure. Sounds like you are on the right track and might see better results at 850 degrees with a 30:1 blend. Don't be afraid to tinker with the temperature to find what works best for your alloy and mould.

SS

SharpsShooter
12-14-2006, 06:03 PM
I cut the sprue just after it clouds. It will still be soft enough to cut easily and the sprue plate can be swung with a gloved hand.

SS

cigg52
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys, It feels like I am High school again after 37 years, but this time I around this is something I want to learn.

mooman76
12-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I use a small plastic headed hammer to knock the spew plate. I got it from a hardware store and it also works good to give the mould a small rap to get the bulles out should they not fall out automatically. By the way, what mould were you using?

powderburnerr
12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
you dont say how big your bullets are but if you drill out the spout of your ladle you will have better fill out in the bigger bullets . you can also keep the ladle married to the spru plate for a five count which helps as well .......Dean

Jon K
12-15-2006, 12:45 AM
cigg52,

What Dean said, drill out the pour hole, increased flow will help the mold to fill out, and spray the ladle inside and out with mold release. You won't get the build up on the ladle. Shake out every so often, to keep clean.

Jon

cigg52
12-15-2006, 07:25 AM
That mold release, could I use it to lube the spure plate ? And it I open to ladle hole should you open the spure plate hole too ? and what type of drill bit would ya use to open up the spure ? As of now have a two Lyman molds. 400gr snover, and .41 mag 225gr

chunkum
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
From your description, it sounds as if you are already getting good fill out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd be very tentative regarding doing any drilling on something that was already working OK, particularly in regard to the sprue plates. While these modifications can certainly be done, they are usually unnecessary, particularly in solving problems that arn't there. Good fill out can almost always be achieved by more heat and a little more tin in the alloy.
Best Regards,
chunkum

powderburnerr
12-15-2006, 12:08 PM
cigg52
I refer to the ladle spout NOT to the mould spru plate.I have never found that to help and it sometimes hurts ........
go sparingly with the mould release if you use it on your spru plate. too much will give you a different set of problems just. make sure your spru has solidified before cutting and you shouldnt need to coat it . if you start getting smears your mould there are a lot of ways to control the spru temp listed on here...is too hot or the spru hasnt hardened yet..... Dean

cigg52
12-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Thank guys for all good info. I have a 40-70ss Sharps on order, so a can gain some casting experiance casting for my 41 mags intill I get it.

Jon K
12-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Cigg,

Sprue plate, I cut a q-tip, and drop it in stem first, then spray the sprue plate, remove and let dry before pouring.

Jon

Slowpoke
12-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Cigg,

Sprue plate, I cut a q-tip, and drop it in stem first, then spray the sprue plate, remove and let dry before pouring.

Jon

Jon , help me understand why you use a q-tip instead of just swinging the sprue plate open and spraying it lightly top and bottom.

good luck