PDA

View Full Version : casting questions

mac1911
04-23-2011, 08:18 AM
I have a TC omega and out of the box with the sabot slugs it was dead on @ 100 yards. My questions

What size lead ball mold do I cast for the TC omega 50 cal and will the rifle barrel have any affect on the round ball ?

2nd I would like to cast some bullets to use n the sabot like the originals.
Is there a reason they are plated? The original sabot slugs came with the TC they where not very big 230grains I believe.

Nobade
04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
BRP makes a couple molds for .451" sabot slugs. As for balls it'll use either .490" or .495" depending on the particular barrel and patch you use. If that rifle doesn't have rifling all the way to the muzzle it'll likely not shoot very well with balls or regular bullets.

mooman76
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I know of no reason they are plated. Maybe they just want them to look better. Like Noblade stated a 490 or 495 ball. More likely the 490 though. With the tight twist you probably won't be able to push them as hard. You could probably pick up some sample boolits to try here before you go out an buy some moulds. You might even give conicals a try.

fryboy
04-23-2011, 04:25 PM
agreed give conicals a try ( especially if it shoots sabots well ! ) round balls do best with a slow twist , in ye olde days 1 in 66" was common , modern rifles usually have a faster twist ( 1 in 22-28"ish ) to better stabilize sabots and slugs , as mooman suggested they should still shoot round balls albeit not pushed as hard ( but target loads are pleasant anyways ! ) until lee came out the the R.E.A.L. boolits i really loved the hornady great plains boolits ( especially the 385 grain hollow point /base ones ) ball size will depend upon patch thickness and also patch thickness can be varied for best results with a .o1o patch .490 balls are most common , some guys have been known to hammer start bore size lubed balls ( .50 +/- ) with no patches and with good results